1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Economic Un-feasability of a Prius For Me

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by NDTransplant, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! Been following your thread a bit. Looks like you did the something I did. I had a good car; but in the end I wanted something new deep down. While my milage is not as great as what you have gotten, still very happy here.

This post in another thread says it all as to why I am a very happy camper :D

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any new or newer car replacing old one is money "wasted" or spent to buy "happiness" of having a new car to use your analogy. Now, some people will buy a monster truck, some people will buy a yaris, and some people will buy a prius. It's a personal choice. I don't see a reason a prius purchase has to necessarily pay back in money. If it lowers fuel expense, then it's great.
    If one looked just at the bottom line, one would buy or keep an old clunker for next of nothing. Some small cheap cars could also have a better payback.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't know about un-feasability of a Prius for you, but maybe I can address the infeasibility. ;)
    Other than that? Whether it's infeasible or not for you, lots of folks decide against the Prius. It ain't a crime. The reason there are so many kinds of different cars (from junkers to exotics) is because nothing fits everyone's needs.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you missed my point. The Prius makes me happier. Your Prius make you happier. But we aren't most people. If the Prius made most people happier directly the Prius would be the top selling car in the USA and the sales wouldn't fluctuate so much with gas prices.

5. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats! You made an excellent choice. I bet that solar roof will come in handy in AZ. :)

6. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am absolutely blown away at the number of responses from this question! I think I could probably admit I was looking for some 'validation'. Where better to get that than here? heh heh

Here's a photo of the trip home from the dealer...the MPH average is only 37 MPH because I sat in the car for 20 minutes with the salesman trying to figure out the navigation, the bluetooth, the Entune, the well, you get the idea.

[​IMG]

In the end, there probably aren't too many folks that buy a car based purely on logic or needs. They may by what they can afford (or not) instead of what they want, etc., etc.this conversation could go on and on.

For me, I just found the 99 Accord to be the most boring car I have every driven in my life- have had five different Hondas ranging from 1992 to 2008. Nothing wrong with the car, just never 'connected', I guess. lol

I enjoy experiencing the hybrid technology while driving, and just shake my head in disbelief when I look at the MPG meter- even allowing for error.

I would sure like to thank everyone for their interesting and diverse viewpoints. Sometimes the noob comes on a forum and really gets blasted! You all have been great.