1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The education gap in America is getting huge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 24, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The change may be born out of crisis as most big changes are. Jayman, can you tell me the last time the US ran a trade surplus?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sadly, i have seen the patterns of quality in education follow very closely the financial status of the parents of the schoolkids.

i grew up in the craptastic center of my craptastic city, yes literally on the other side of the railroad tracks from those new and exciting 3 story houses with their 4 car garages and separate yacht storage buildings. by some quirk of fortune i ended up going to school with the kids that lived in those houses. quite the transition from my gang-infested ghetto middle school where they didn't even allow backpacks for fear someone was carrying something large and dangerous or highly illegal (which in many cases was true) and where there was no funding for anything.

wow, and what a high school that was. i took every advanced class i could, with the exception of physics because i hated physics from day one. i dated someone who went to the school i WOULD have gone to. to hear him tell me all the things that were so different there just shocked me. i couldn't believe it.

and my high school hda a very good reputation, which got me on the fast track to college- got some preadmission letters before even applying to colleges- and i think a better leg-up on where i was going.

now i'm probably not the average kid who just went to school to get through it, i had something to prove since i can remember and probably would have pushed through in the school i would have gone to. but it sure was a lot easier after going to the kids-of-doctors-and-lawyers school.

my fellow graduates and I are at MIT, Stanford, Georgetown, Duke, Northwestern, and a number of small highly-exclusive provate colleges, many with a full ride. the kids at the other schools struggled to get into state schools. and on a personal note, i have nothing against state schools, i was a state schooler myself in undergrad. but there is a visible difference there.

spread the wealth around, i say. don't prioritize because some families don't have the political and financial leverage that others do. it's ridiculous how unfair that system was.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No and who gives a s***?

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

And that's why in my book, you are one *heck* of a gal.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So no correlation between balance of trade and the degree of 'free trade' over time?

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You have lived what is not even possible in many places in the world. You are a shining example to all of us.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's not very nice, considering Malorn was making a very good point with regards to one of your previous replies on this thread... The fact that people are drowning in credit debt is in related, in a rather direct way, to the fact that we don't run a trade surplus.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

He's just angry the liberal gov. in Canada lost... :lol:

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Wasn't it one of W's cousins that won in Canada? :D

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Look, It's getting a bit long in tooth that every "bad" thing that happens in North America is somehow Toyota's fault, at least in Malorn's perspective.

As far as credit debt, nobody points a gun to your head and *forces* you to assume credit to the point of being upside down on everything. That has more to do with crafty marketing by slick folks who have a vested interest in legally making 18% or more off you.

PBS ran some very good shows on credit. Bottom line, the economy is a fantasy based on instant credit. Eventually somebody, somewhere, has to "back" that credit.

Right now, that happens to be China and India, traditionally it was Japan.

And in case you think I'm taking a s*** on the United States, how about Canada? The recently defeated Prime Minister Paul Martin made up the numbers for years with his magic Federal Budget Surplus.

Most of that "surplus" was tricky accounting - remember Enron? The rest was overpayments to Employment Insurance, to the tune of +$55 billion. A lot of that was reallocated to various Crown Corporations not subject to auditing or oversight.

It doesn't matter what country you live in. When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Taxpayers are the Great Sheeple who willingly go Baaaaa for the government. Anybody who believes anything the Gov or a large corporation - including Toyota - tells them is a fool.

Rant Mode Off.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another "expert"

Just so you know, I voted Progressive Conservative.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I am about to say is NOT for retirees who have put in thier time, and the widows and maimed and disabled.

I was a fireman and I have never considered myself a "good" student..... I aced the English test they had to get in to the department without thinking about it....

About 8 months after I was in, I heard they had to make the entrytest "easier" because not enough minorities were passing and they were missing their quota.

The same think happens in schools... they make it easier because not enough kids are passing.... rather than teaching them or kicking them out because they are just there to cause trouble because of thier screwed up social lives and screwed up parents "if they even have any"...

The Bleeding heart liberals is who I blame. We are far too soft on the poor misfortunates rather than forcing them to bring themselves up to par.

There needs to be incentive for hard studying... instead of paying the basketball stars millions of dollars, we need to pay teachers etc.

Our value system dictates where our money goes. And our money goes to recreation.

Rather than have "good ole boys" making our cars that are just there till the weekend comes... we need those who really take pride in what they do in their place. But the unions protect the lazy and worthless and put them on even scale with the hardworkers.

Any student who is serious and has real desires to learn gets bored with the slow pace and lame teachers who are there to play with the students rather then teach them.

I agree, we need to help those who do not have "opportunity" but we should not "enable" those who do into goofing off and wasting their lives and just becoming a social load on the rest of society along with all thier future generations of kids who learn their worthless ways from thier white trash parents.

America if full of "social loads".... I don't know how it is in other countries, but we sure seem to cater to those who won't do for themselves, they just want us to do for them.

"Do they do all this liberal "mothering our citizens till they are seniors" in other countries? If a citizen down not earn his keep, he needs to live in poverty... period!...

Even the good book says if a man doesn't work neither should he eat....

(2 Th 3:10 KJV) For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
    (2 Th 3:11 KJV) For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

We are so screwed up because we have better ideas and disregard basic principles.

I get bitter for working so hard and seeing others who sit and do nothing but play all day and get social services, medical insurance, and better schooling opportunites than I can get for my own children without paying through the nose for it.

what ever happened to "you get what you pay for".... some get it for free and some like us, pay for it and still don't get it.

I'm all for helping those who desire a fighting chance, but I grow sick of those who want us to extend thier parental support till they are 60 and at the same time let them have all thier rights to do as they will, and have as many babies as they can to raise the amount of support they get.... and get hooked on all kind of drugs and not work for a living "because they want to stay high" and then thier lives fall apart why we spend tremendous funds trying to hold thier lives together so we don't have to support their kids till they are grown while they are in jail.

Our system is really screwed up.

How about if you don't work for a living you starve? and if you don't get an education you can't work?

I sound a bit crass eh?.... well thats only because I am.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It didn't used to be that way. Other countries, Japan included, used to come to the U.S. to study our school system to find out how we turned out our inventors, our creative problem solvers, our "thinking outside the box" people. They wanted to know what the school system was doing because America was inventing and holding copyrights and patents on a lot of technology.

What happened?

Well, in this country we became obsessed with the test scores of other countries. No amount of apples and oranges explanation would do. So we started to teach to the test rather than to develop those free thinkers.

California used to have one of the highest rated public school systems. Now we're about 47.

Do a search on GNP spent on education. The U.S. ranks way behind other countries.

Search within the U.S. for amount spent per capita on each student. Then adjust it for local cost of living. Because California is a lot more expensive then some other states.

(Schools pay taxes on everything purchased. Schools pay for water, sewer, electricity and gas.)

Schools have to pay extra for goods when the cost of living increases their price.

When education has to use either the same amount of money or less to educate a larger number of students while paying for higher prices in goods because of COLA.

It's been a slow decline for a few decades.

And as long as we obsess about test scores it will continue.

While you're at it, do a comparison search on the U.S. and Japan's suicide rates among teenagers.

Oh....and we don't track. We test everyone, not just the cream of the crop.

If we're not producing the innovators we used to...we have only ourselves to blame.

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Who claimed expert?

I know the libs still control enough of a gov. such that there probably won't be any sweeping changes to the right... ;)

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

well thanks guys :)

but the good fortune i had and the compliments you so nicely give me don't change my point: the fact that kids living 6 blocks in the wrong direction automatically have a rockier road ahead of them because of the school they go to, is absolutely horrible. and to go one step farther on this, it should be deemed un American to so selfishly hoard the opportunity and funding for the rich kids. America is supposed to be about equality for all. all men are created equal, right? so why are we taking from some the ability to pursue happiness, education, a job that will support a family, unobstructed.

it's like taking a pair of seeds, throwing one on a rock and the other in fertilizer. what do you think is going to happen? this is the American school system. and it needs some serious reform. i'm no education expert, but i know things are seriously wrong here.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And another ignorant "expert."

Just so you will have this for future reference:

The House of Parliment in Canada is made up of 308 seats. To have a Majority government - to do with almost as one wishes - requires 155 seats. Anything less is a "Minority" government and subject to a Non Confidence Vote by the other parties, if they happen to get together on it. This is how the Paul Martin government met its end.

As of last count - and this may change as quite a few Electoral Districts are recounting - here is the vote breakdown, for the 308 seats in Parliment:

124 Progressive Conservative
    102 Liberal
    51 Bloc Quebecois
    29 NDP
    1 Independent

So don't get your hopes up about Canada ditching the Kyoto Accord, or signing on to Missile Defense, or making the Tar Sands in Alberta up for grabs. The PC's are actually in a Lame Duck position, and at any moment can face a Non Confidence vote.

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We produce more. We have more vision and creativity on Rhode Island than a lot of other countries.

When did Japan last produce a Google? A Dell? A Microsoft? A RedHat? Apple has pretty much driven Sony out of the portable audio business. Microsoft is (sadly) taking over console gaming.

And it's not just the U.S. Nokia. ARM. And so on...

Honestly, other than outsourcing and the refinement of old ideas, I don't see much that I would consider creative coming out of a lot of the world.

We're innovating out the wazoo.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People such as yourself really need to step in front of 30 students and try teaching.

Do you think teachers are really there to 'play' with the students? Do you think the teachers like the pace?

Reality check for ya, they aren't and they don't. But they have a lot of students and they have to move at a pace that they're all comfortable with. I blame the Republican government and it's "No Child Left Behind" program for slowing teachers down.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

:lol: now they don't come so much... I'm beginning to think without them in our schools, there would be few bright bulbs in the class!

I think they are coming for different reasons now... its not for our knowledge its for our free money and bleeding heart social systems that pay thier way too!....

I can't blame them........ If we are going to leave our house wide open and tell the neighbors to come over for free and watch the game and while your at it.. you can raid the fridge all you want to... who wouldn't come to our country and get all the freebies?

We are dependent upon foreign influence to keep us afloat much more than they are on us anymore.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

there are still a few bright spots, and they are very prosperous because there are not any other bright spots to compete with.

Take away foreign influence by removing the foreign engineers, etc from those bright spots and see how quickly they grow dim.

We are gooooood at making money!.and its not alwasy from hard work either.... and money is power..... that says it all.