1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The End of NASCAR?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Doc Willie, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I stopped watching when they changed the rules to stop innovation, it's too politically correct. Lets keep everyone the same, and fine anyone who innovates, and call it cheating.

No thanks

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NASCAR are less like real cars than funnycars. My son made the comment that he thinks it's harder to drive a drag car than a NASCAR on an oval.

3. C.RICKEY HIROSE

Yeah, but Toyota crafts a purpose built V8, with pushrod valvetrain and naturally induction carburators for its NASCAR series.

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota have used push-rod engines in their distant history, no doubt that is where they looked for NASCAR engine designs.
    Fuel injected does not mean not naturally aspirated.

5. slickQUICKprius

slickQUICKprius I'm awesome!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's apples to oranges.

Do you want to bang gears and withstand straight on G forces for 4-5 seconds while controlling a car with a stupid amount of horsepower?

Or do you want to control a car for 2.5-4 hours experiencing lateral G forces in a car that's built to perform along the same lines as everyone elses to keep the field "fair"

I think it'd be easier to fly a fighter plane than it would be to fly a stunt plane, but there's two different purposes there.

On a side note, the funniest thing I've ever seen is the picture of the NASCAR truck series Toyota Tacoma trailer being pulled by a Chevy truck.

Toyota makes a nice hybrid, but they I don't think they really belong in NASCAR in my opinion.

6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You would have thought they would use a Scania or Volvo prime mover.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have seen some Volvo prime movers here, but they are made here and have no resemblance to those sold in the EU. I have never seen a Scania, MAN, or Iveco here. Nor have I seen a Mercedes prime mover. The market appears locked by Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Sterling, etc

Given the tow ratings of a one ton Chevy, by the time you load up a race car in an enclosed trailer, with all the required tools and supplies, you're pushing the rated tow limit of a one tonner

A far more appropriate choice would be a medium duty truck, like the Freightliner M2

Business Class M2 106 Medium Duty Truck - Freightliner Trucks

You have the assurance that the engine, transmission, drive axle, and - very important - BRAKES, are up to the job. With the optional air ride suspension, the ride quality isn't bad at all.

For sissies who refuse to learn how to coordinate a clutch and a shifter, a variety of Allison automatics and Roadranger AutoShift boxes are also available