1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the end of the "don't lose your keys or else" myth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Jul 19, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    just to put some minds at ease here, the 2004+ prius does not require a full ecu replacement job if you lose all of your keyfobs.

these cars have full support for the "engine immobilzer reset system" through TIS.
    what this means is that the dealership can get a special passcode to reset your ecu, erase all lost/stolen keys (so noone's going to drive your car off with your old key) and reset a master key. this sets them on track to programming the other keys like normal.

to do this you need a photo id and your vehicle title, they will not do this without proof that you are the owner of the vehicle.

as for the cost of this procedure, i have no idea. it's less than an ecu and labor to replace it.

update:
    okay so... it appears that dealers still don't know what the hell they're doing and rather than doing the whole "call tech support" thing it is on OUR shoulders to educate them...

sigh... sickening.

anyway, DH just took a few pics of the procedure as done on the new scantool/laptop deal.

first: connecting to the car without keys.

description of immobilizer reset:
    [​IMG]

you see this description when you select this:
    [​IMG]

after selecting that option, you see this screen
    [​IMG]

and connect to car, with blank fob in slot and car off (because without keys... it won't turn on!)
    [​IMG]

it takes quite a while with the car off.
    [​IMG]

you have to enter car info manually
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and after this screen, it gives you the seed number to reset the immobilizer.
    [​IMG]

next, the TIS authorization. not just anyone can log in and do this.
    [​IMG]

it's under the diagnostics tab, listed as "immobilizer reset"
    [​IMG]

and after this screen is where you enter the seed number you get from the car.
    [​IMG]

this should be enough to get ANYONE started. now if someone still has trouble getting their local dealership to do this... well, there's only so much that we can do...

kmsbanr, SteveWlf, babybird and 2 others like this.
  2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you posted this. It should be made into a sticky and placed at the top of the section for all to read and remember.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Eh, I do not know about sticky status. While interesting, this isn't really of vital must-know interest to the majority of owners, since a very small number have actually lost all of their keys. Plus, I don't want to have to form a habit of scrolling through the stickies to get to the new posts. Just my $.02.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't really care about making it a sticky or anything, but i wanted to put the info out there since there have been at least 2 threads recently dealing with having no keyfobs. i saw a number of people sharing the "you have to get a new ecu" bit, and i wanted to educate everyone about this reset system thing. once the group knows about this, they'll pass the info on to anyone who needs it in a relevant future thread. that's the great thing about this group. ;)

kmsbanr likes this.
  5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed, precisely. Thanks for the good info, Galaxee!

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the kind of info that makes PriusChat worth the full price of admission! ;) The mechanics I've talked to don't know this.

Roger559 likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 19 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]288998[/snapback]</div>
    This is good information but I need a reference for the FAQ in GreenHybrid.com. Could you give me the dealer and their phone number? That way folks can share the contact information with their local service department.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Jul 19 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]289036[/snapback]</div>
    how about if we get rid of the pile of stickies already up there...

Or get them a page of their own... You click on the one sticky link which brings up the page of stickies.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jul 20 2006, 02:38 AM) [snapback]289241[/snapback]</div>
    there's a blurb in the repair manual about the reset procedure, but it really refers you to "follow the instructions on the scantool"

there's also a tsb describing the procedure, i'll see if i can't get the number for you.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D THANKS galaxee for the continuing accurate information.

I just had my 20,000 service done together with the SSC-60C steering column fix and a couple of minor warranty items (Center console lid replaced, upper glove box spring problem - parts ordered). Furnished my own oil (3½ qts Mobil-1 5W30 - ±$25). tires rotated (my pressures 40/38) - bill $46.71.

POINT: The Assistant Service Manager commented that PriusChat and PrinsOnline were great sources of accurate information which Toyota seems slow to distribute to the dealers' service departments.

11. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 20 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]289286[/snapback]</div>

Thanks galaxee, again you always seem to come though for all of us. Keep the info coming babe. :blink:

12. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 20 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]289286[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't information like this what the "Knowledge Base" is for??? ;)

Oanh Schlesinger likes this.
  13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(v.jones @ Jul 20 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]289329[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed it is. Galaxee, perhaps we can persued you to write this up in a bit more formal manner along with a copy of the TSB in PDF form and post it within the KB area.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sure, can do. i didn't even think of that! :)

once i get the relevant bulletins i'll take care of it. need more distractions from entering pages and pages of numbers into excel sheets... :wacko:

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay, article is posted in the FAQ section of the KB.

for Bob-
    you can reference Toyota TSB SS003-02. thanks for sharing the info with other prius communities :)

edit: is it supposed to take a while to show up? :huh:

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]289747[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for doing that Gal, I believe Danny has to approve the articles for the KB. Patience young grasshoppa'

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, i see. thank you, medical prius moderator master. ::bows deeply:: or something. :lol:

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]289747[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks,

This is the update note I posted for our FAQ:

"I just learned in PriusChat.com from "galaxee" that the NHW20 Prius has a procedure, TSB SS003-02, that does not require ECU replacement if the keys or fobs are lost. There will be a labor and key/fob replacement cost but not the expensive ECU. The NHW11, an earlier generation, still requires ECU replacement."

Bob Wilson

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 20 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]289322[/snapback]</div>
    When picking up my wif'es '02 after getting 40G completed (I was a bit behind), I asked if they had any info on 60G yet. His response was "You guys usually know about it before we do..." with a smile - implying that we seem to get the info before Toyota releases it to the dealers. Kinda funny, but it's held true for my entire 4 year, 8 month Prius (plural) experience.

Good news on the lost key procedure. FOB's alone though won't be cheap on top of the programming labor cost though.

20. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 21 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]290004[/snapback]</div>
    Total cost might not be too bad if the fobs are ordered through a discount Toyota parts counter (like MetroTpn out of Cleveland or that dealership in Dallas that sells oil filters cheap with no shipping charges), then taken with the car and required documents to a local dealership for programming.

In fact, it might even be worthwhile to buy a 'blank' fob now as insurance in the event one (or both) original fobs are lost without spending the money to have the blank one programmed immediately.

This way, if the car were sold/traded and the extra 'blank' fob went unused, it could be sold to another Prius owner and most (if not all) of the money recouped.