1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

the end of the "don't lose your keys or else" myth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Jul 19, 2006.

1. froboy67

froboy67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know yet about how much it costs for this procedure, or how long it might take?

2. mahvish

mahvish New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: the end of the "don't lose your keys or else" myth

Has anyone gotten this done on a 2005 car. My dealer + Toyota technician are saying this doesn't work because they don't have to replace the ECU but actually the immobilizer unit. Are they wrong?

3. mahvish

mahvish New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    by this: i mean i lost all my keys and need to get a master key made.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The story the dealer told you is correct for the 2001-2003, but not for the 2004-2009. The 2004-2009 immobilizer can be reset with the Techstream scan tool that all Toyota dealers use. The specific function to use is an "Immobilizer Code Reset". That will allow registration of the keyfob-in-the-slot function even without an already registered keyfob.

I'm not quite sure of what is required to allow registration of the SKS functions. Maybe once you have a functional transponder key (the slot function), then you could add a new SKS key. If not, then you'll also have to get a "Smart Key Reset" to add the remote functions. If you get the resets, then a used (eBay) key will be adequate. Without the "Smart Key Reset", you'll have use a new (never registered) keyfob. You'll still have to get a mechanical key cut (or a replacement lock cylinder + key).

Actually, the 2001-2003 immobilizer replacement story only applies to dealer procedures. Locksmiths can reset these immobilizers for a lot less money than a replacement immobilizer.

Be sure to get at least 2 keyfobs, one to lose and another for backup. The backup copy doesn't have to have remote functions - the mechanical key gets you in the door and putting the keyfob in the slot gets the car running.

5. toddeye

toddeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

This post may be the end of the myth, but it is not stopping the dealerships from continuing to propose it.

I called the dealership and explained that I had lost both keys, they stated that they would "re-seed" the computer and program a new key.

This morning I towed it in and they called me to say that they were unable to re-seed it and would have to replace the computer @ approx $1500.

Can it really be that they do not know how to do the procedure noted in this thread, or do not have the proper tools?

Thanks,
    Toddeye

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

It could be lack of knowledge. More likely your dealer does not have the Toyota subscription that allows them to reseed. Not all dealers participate, as it does cost a fair amount.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. toddeye

toddeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I won't name the specific dealership, but I will tell you that I am from Dallas.... I would assume they would have the facilities to support the Prius.

That being said, I forwarded some of the information from this thread to the service account manager and they were able to reset the imobilizer.

Thanks to Priuschat and all the members for contributing to this great resource.

Thanks,
    Todd

8. AisuSono

AisuSono Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Removed

#48 AisuSono, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  9. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The pictures don't seem to pop up I'm wondering if you can message me the pics or walk me through it. I have everything needed and I'm pretty tech savy with this prius. I just need help locating the seed number feature on my techstream. Thanks in advance

10. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure you still won't have access to it. I believe you have to have the Security Professional TIS subscription to enable that feature. They don't want just anyone being able to re-program car keys for obvious reasons.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    She hasn't logged in here in nearly 4 years, so won't see your query. And the pictures were probably detached in one of PriusChat's numerous host and platform migrations since that item was posted more than 13 years ago. So someone else familiar with it will have to help.

And as I read it, it still had to be done at and by a dealership. Her hubby took those pics as they walked the dealer's tech through the process. You probably can't get the same secured Toyota access at home.