1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Entune fix for the 7.1 Nav Audio System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by WE0H, May 10, 2012.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got off the phone with Toyota customer care and they told me how to make my iPhone 4 work with Entune once again :p

They said that the Entune app on the iPhone turns into a zombie if the phone is taken out of Bluetooth range of the car for a while. So what appears to be happening is the app looks like it is running but in reality it is stuck and can't communicate with the car. What they recommend is force closing the app by whatever means you can force close a program on your specific iPhone IOS or reboot the phone to reestablish Bluetooth communications.

So here is what we did on my car. I have the 7.1 system. They said the fix for the 6.1 is different because it doesn't use Bluetooth to talk to the car. That's what they said and I have no clue what the 6.1 system spec's are.

On my system I powered down the car. I rebooted my iPhone. Once my iPhone was back up & running, I opened the Entune app. I then powered up the car. Then I pushed the App button on the car's audio system. Then clicked App on the audio system screen. I then noticed my Entune app on my iPhone went to a different screen with a red disconnect button highlighted. At that point my car's audio system was displaying the proper App screen with the icons for the various Apps installed.

Freakin awesome, it now works as it did on day one :rockon:

Note that I did have my WiFi on my phone turned off. The lady said some phones have a hard time running Bluetooth with WiFi turned on so try it with it off. So I did. I'll test it over the next few days with WiFi on & off and see what happens. Since my phone is Jailbroken, I have a app that I can force apps off at a touch of my finger :p The lady suggested that apps like that are useful for Entune as it is now. Hopefully they will get updates out to cure some of the issues. There are so many different phones out there that it is a nightmare for Toyota to make Entune function flawless. Someday maybe, but for now this is what fixed my setup. I asked the lady if she has gotten an earful of complaints about Entune and she said Oh Yea :p

Wishing you all lots of luck :eek:

Mike :tea:

2. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ya, this seems to go along with my experience of getting entune to work after rebooting my phone. I just don't want to have to go through this every time I get in the darn car. :mad:

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try it with WiFi on & off to see if was any difference in the phone communicating or not?

Mike

4. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No, because I don't want to have to turn wifi off every time I get in the car either, so honestly I'm not interested in that solution.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So yours is working with the WiFi on I take it. That's cool. I have a tiny program called something like SB Settings on my iPhone so the WiFi on/off is just a button to push without going into the settings pages. If I take my car out Friday I will test it both with WiFi on & Off and see what happens. I have never had any issues with other Bluetooth devices with my WiFi on so unless there is some really weird issue with Entune, it should be fine with it on. Hope they get the bugs worked out of it before the 3 year trial expires as I don't believe I would subscribe to it otherwise. A person can run all those apps on their phone instead and still get the functions without Entune. The Bluetooth phone and iPod seem to work even when Entune is squawking that it can't talk to the phone :p I wonder if the Android phones are having the same or similar issues?

Mike

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WiFi on or off, it is working fine right now even as I am ? in my car :) I have an app kill switch in SB Settings so it is a piece of cake to shut Entunes completely off so it starts perfect the next time :) Time will tell if this fix works for good or not. I hope so.

Mike

iPhone :)

7. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Working? Not so much.
    Yesterday morning yes. Last night no.
    This morning, I got a "connection problem". So I restarted the iphone. Then my phone wouldn't connect to the car. So i gave up again. Maybe it will work tonite. :rolleyes:

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it Jailbroken? If so do you have the SB Settings app? I learned the double click the button method would not completely stop Entune from running. Was your car off when you rebooted the iPhone? The rep told me to have the car powered off and reboot the phone first then open Entune and then power the car up. So the first thing was to walk up to an unpowered car with Entune completely off on the phone then open the app then power the car up. Bummer it just doesn't work like our FOB where we walk close to the car and it greats us with the welcome back clicking sounds :p

Mike

9. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No, it's not jailbroken and the car was not off because I was driving it. ;)

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea that would be an issue going down the highway :p

Mike

11. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, at lunch it worked. Paired fine, entune started up fine, and pandora played fine.

Consistency is not it's strong suit!

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was your procedure to make it work?

Mike

13. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing! I just got in the car.
    This system should be called "Entune Beta"!

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of those out of the blue it just started working on it's own :(

Mike

15. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let's say you use an iPhone app - any of the non-core, downloaded from the App Store apps. When you are finished you push the "home" button. The app remains in the dock in suspended animation. It's not doing anything but just sitting there. If the phone needs more resources, because maybe you open another app or something, it may swap unused apps completely out of memory. They still are in the dock, but they are no longer in suspended mode. It's just as though they aren't open at all.

If you get into your car and the Entune app is suspended, I think it will pair. If the app is either closed because you closed it or because the phone swapped it out, it won't pair.

All you should need to do to fix it is open the Entunes app. Completely open it -- not just in the dock.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Is that how it works for you & your car? I tried leaving Entune running while my phone was inside the house on it's charger and hopped in my car to find it would not pair. I do have other Bluetooth devices setup on my phone so I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I even once tried deleting the car in the devices list in my phone and then rediscover and it would not communicate with the car even though it showed as paired in my phone. Strange :( The only thing so far that has worked every time I tested it is what the rep told me on the phone yesterday. Don't know :confused: Wonder if it is specific iPhone setups? I know my wife's iPhone 4 operates way slower than mine even though we both have IOS 5.0.1. Her's is bone stock and mine is Jailbroken. Does that matter? I don't know. Maybe if enough people find this thread and post the IOS and whatever else they feel is necessary that we can nail this down to something specific other than just saying it is Entune. It might have something to do with the iPhone itself.

What are Android users success with the Entune? Is this iPhone specific or all phones in general?

17. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's how I think it should work in everyone's car. I can promise you that how I described it is how an iPhone works. If you weren't actively using the Entune app while your phone was in its charger, then very possibly the phone went to sleep and the app got swapped out.

Opening the app again should get it working, if it's the app swapping out that's the issue. And that's sure what it sounded like when Toyota Customer Care told you that the app " turned into a zombie." Kill the app if you want, and then just reopen it. Then go to the apps screen in your car. That should do it.

I think what they meant re: the 6.1" system "not using Bluetooth" is that with that system the phone must be plugged into the USB port in order to have Entune work.

When Entune isn't working, can you do other things via Bluetooth, like make a phone call or stream music that's loaded on your phone? Is it only Entune that's not working, or is it everything? If it's only Entune, then you do not have to re-pair your phone because it's already paired.

I have the 7" HDD Nav and an iPhone 4S running IOS v5.1.1, updated from v5.0.1. The recent update made no difference in how my phone and car interact. My phone is not jailbroken. I'm on AT&T and I don't have a tethering option (don't want to give up unlimited data).

I paired my phone with my 2012 Four when I picked it up from the dealer at the end of March. I've never had to pair it since. My phone is paired with other devices as well.

I have both wifi and Bluetooth active on my phone at all times.

My phone is always paired via Bluetooth because I have an iPod that lives in my console connected to the USB port. I've never plugged my phone into the USB port. I can stream music from the phone, but sometimes do if I've downloaded some new music to my phone. My iPod is not iCloud-enabled.

I rarely use Entune, but when I do, all I need to do is to open the Entune app and it works. I've used Bing a couple of times. I tried Pandora once, just to see if it worked. I'm not a big Pandora fan, so I don't have much need for it.

Hopefully this is helpful.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep everything else always works, except the car's Apps which can't communicate unless I do what the rep said to do. I'll keep doing what it takes when it stops talking to the car and see how it goes. Otherwise do what you said and do what it takes if that doesn't work.

I just missed the unlimited ATT era but I have never blown over the 2g number so far. It's only another 10 bucks to get another gig or something. Since my phone is Jailbroken, it does tether via WiFi so I use it a little bit but not too nuts when traveling.

Pandora is cool. I have a portable Sat receiver but now with the Prius having the Sat receiver, I listened to it a bit. So many choices :eek: When the car's App's wouldn't work I would run Pandora on my phone and it would stream via Bluetooth. It's all so new to me and I hardly drive my car so it will take a while for me to get used to the features in it. My car is two weeks old and has 191 miles on it :p I took it out a couple times this week just to drive it :) The next couple weeks I'll be driving a rental Swagger Wagon :eek: Got a business trip to drive my wife around the country for.

Surprised more people haven't chimed in this thread with their Entune issues. Maybe most go into the dealer for the fix? Maybe a lot of them are lucky so far.

19. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got in the car tonite. Started the car, my phone paired, opened the entune app, and the car started playing pandora where it left off from lunch. Made a quick stop 10 minutes later and left the phone in the car connected to the usb. Got back in the car, started it up, and no music was playing. Tried to open pandora on the car and got nothing but a connection error message.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was seeing :( No fun...

Mike