1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The factory bluetooth installation DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Cateran, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Cateran

Cateran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me post the pictures to make the story shorter.

1. You need the MFD with the BT board inside. The parts number of the 7 keys MFDs you may need are 86110-47220, 86110-47260, 86110-47200 (Japanese version),or 86110-47270 (Japanese version). The parts number of the 4 keys MFD /w BT is 86110-47210. There is no BT board in the 86110-47230 and 86110-47240.

2. 47220 (7 keys /w BT) vs 47230 (4 keys /wo BT) comparison.
    p01.JPG p02.JPG p03a.JPG p03b.JPG p04.JPG

3. The blue tooth board.
    p06.JPG p07.JPG

4. Check the wires and rewire them from the overhead console to the MFD if needed.
    p08.JPG p09.JPG

5. It's better to have the extra key for the phone, try to get the right side switch of the steering wheel.
    p01.JPG p06.JPG
    p19.JPG p20.JPG p24.JPG p26.JPG p27.JPG
    p16.JPG

6. You might need the Q7 version board of the overhead console because of the microphone amplifier.
    p02.JPG

Or, you can build the board by yourself as I did.
    p1.JPG p2.JPG p01.JPG

7. Check the mic input level. If the gain of the amplifier is not enough, there is another setting about the voice level you can adjust.
    p3.JPG p5.JPG p6.JPG p7.JPG

SFO, Nate Ocean, TGrracie and 3 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, thanks!(y)

3. dhabicht1

dhabicht1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just finding your post and trying to do the same thing.
    Currently my phone is hooked to bluetooth in the car
    I can receive calls and makes calls but have no microphone
    Bought a Q7 board with amp and microphone
    Installed but still no microphone output

I see something about rewiring from overhead console to MFD but I can't make out exactly what you have done. Can you please elaborate?

4. caravan2429

caravan2429 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the easiest way to rewire the microphone power and signal to MFD?
    Microphone wires are along with A pillar wire assembly to left corner and there is no extra wire to MFD to transmit microphone signal and power since it is lower package model.

5. dhabicht1

dhabicht1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, found that out the hard way yesterday but ended up getting it functioning. Extended wires to MFD after taking dash cover off to access the plug the wires went to. Put the wires in the M14 connector and ran the crucial ground to the metal brace. That was key. what is strange is my MFD according to the SN was not supposed to have the bluetooth board but did.

6. Cateran

Cateran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry for being late for the responding. I'm busy building the automatic light, fog light and DRL systems on my prius and trying to get a job recently.

Yep, this is the similar way I did. I rewired the 3 missing wires from M14 of the MFD to the plug under the dash but connected the extra ground of the mic amp that I designed to the other place of grounding due to no mentions about the grounding of the OEM amp in the repair manual.

In the repair manual, the three wires are the positive of the DC power from the MFD, plus and minus audio signals to the MFD. I didn't find the connection of the ground for the mic amp by multi-meter measurement which should act as a coil-like circuit to separate the audio signal and the ground of DC on the MFD side.

I knew other guys directly grounded the minus signal wire to make the OEM mic amp work. As an electronic engineer I was, I wouldn't like to do it this way because of the balanced mic amp I already built.

Nate Ocean likes this.
  7. Snick8003

Snick8003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    First thank you for this post. I'm a new Prius owner and I'm trying to wire up the microphone to the mfd. I have an 06 Prius With a 47220 mfd. I also have the q7 board with the microphone. I don't have the wiring going to the mfd from the pillar. On what pins and what wires do I need to extend to the mfd? And what ground to chassis brace do I need?