1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The father of Prius to become the next Chairman

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 21, 2013.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BTW, EPA said it takes 12.9 kWh to charge 2010 Volt rated for 35 miles. I am sure it'll take more to charge 38 miles in 2013 Volt.

You can power your car, house or anything with electricity from wind, solar, geo thermal. At the end of the day, renewable makes up only 13% of all the electricity.

Should we divert renewable electricity only to plugin cars and run everything else with fossil and nuclear electricity?

Toyota's goal of the ultimate eco car is with respect to the environment, not for individual bragging rights.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Volt is not a BEV, therefore not every "38 miles are done with 12kwh".
    When using Volt ICE, bear in mind you throw away lots of energy just becausethere is as answer to (in your own words...) "Why spend any additional money on a more efficient ICE?"

3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am about 85% electric, with a 43 mile daily commute. I typically go for weeks as a BEV without the ICE, like many Volt drivers. The Volt is a BEV with a Range Extender.

When the Volt is being used in the Range Extender mode, it is about the same fuel consumption as a Prius V.

You didn't want to answer the question?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey my PiP is BEV too then. I use it as BEV in the weekdays and use some gas in the weekend if I go out far.

Usage has nothing to do with EV or not. It has two engines and two fuel tanks. That makes it a hybrid, the type that plugs in.

Why spend any additional money on a more efficient EV operation of PiP? People won't put that many miles on it anyway. How about just throw in larger heavier battery to get maximum tax credit.

Well, that's not Prius is about. Prius is about maximum efficiency and minimum emission in a practical affordable package. PiP retains those.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    usb, I think you are confusing "dual fuel" with "hybrid". would you call a vehicle that uses both propane and gasoline a hybrid?

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it has two separate engines, it is a hybrid. If it has two fuel tanks and one engine, it is dual fuel.

The official SAE definition of a hybrid is "two or more energy storage systems both of which must provide propulsion power, either together or independently".

The fact that you use both electricity and gasoline to propel your Volt makes it a hybrid. They don't need to propel with them together. They can be done independently at different time.

7. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

USB is correct the volt is a hybrid, is an EREV which is a subclass of PHEV, which is a subclass of both Hybrid Vehicles and a subclass of Electric vehicles.

The PiP is not a BEV, as it uses an ICE for propulsion. Its not an EREV as it does not have full performance in EV mode. Its just a mild PHEV.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Efficiency is a measure of transformation from one energy to another.

If electricity is produced in a thermal plant, noone can say 50mi out of a gallon can't be more efficient.

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an EPA label for a 2011 Volt.

[​IMG]

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we have gone far afield here. This is a thread about the guy that managed the prius project getting a promotion.

There are other threads about the volt and energy switching. Why don't we have the the pissing match over on one of those.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think this is where the thread decided to take a journey.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As pointed out before, Volt neither has a full performance in EV mode.

PiP is a plugin based on a full hybrid. 40 kW from the battery and 73 kW from the gas engine. 62 mph EV top speed. 114 mph top speed with gas. That sure looks like a full PHEV to me.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It makes you wonder about the team that worked on the Volt. Most of them are no longer working for GM. Interesting perspective.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem, especially if they are your privately owned wind farm. Same is true for micro-hydro, solar array, or home-distilled grain alcohol. These are all excellent sources. Just in the grand scheme of things, I don't think Volts are sold with an option to install these alternate sources of power.

Bob Wilson

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder how many former EV1 customers have become Volt adopters?

But you are right, I sure see a lot of well trained and experienced GM EV and hybrid engineers working in other companies.

Bob Wilson

16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a reference?

If they are being recruited away, then one has to assume that the recruiter was happy with their performance at GM. I know a few were recruited by Tesla.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow we should remember that GM went through bankruptcy while the volt project was in progress.

Lutz was on the volt team - no longer at GM because he helped bankrupt the company. Good reason to get rid of him in spite of the volt.

The rest of the folks that left got better positions at other companies with more money. Bankrupt companies often can not compete well for top talent. That seems to be a positive for the volt design, but a negative for GM.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A handfull of people doesn't seem to equate to "most of them", unless you are proposing that the Volt was the product of a dozen individuals.

Denise Gray is an interesting story, and RPI graduate !

Posawatz goes from a director position at GM to CEO at Fisker, must be considered a bit of a success, albeit a bit risky.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I meant most of the important players are gone. It seems they weren't promoted so they left. It doesn't appear to be the case with Prius and Toyota.