1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The future of ICE vs. BEV

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by el Crucero, Feb 16, 2019.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting, no doubt the US and oil producing countries will be last to go to electric.

Here is something I have never heard mentioned. In the future there may be range anxiety because all the gas stations are out of business, can you imagine. There will be charging stations where the gas stations once were and you will have to go inside the convenience store to buy beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets.:)

el Crucero likes this.
  3. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is no doubt that ice will be replaced(after the EPA is back in buisness), what actually is best as a replacement?
    I'd rather use Hydrogen, 5 minute refill, no range anxiety.

It's not Tesla, not in the US, the average income in the US is 35,000$, the average income of Tesla owners is 375,000$ Tesla is doing it backwards, Tesla should've started with 35,000$ vehicles, after successfully making money with a vehicle that a large portion of Americans could afford....Tesla could've offered more expensive vehicles, but...Tesla started at 75,000$, for a vehicle that is neither a luxury vehicle nor a utility vehicle, meaning, Tesla's are secondary vehicles.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I disagree, Tesla makes more money per unit at the beginning and weren't capable of large mass production numbers early on to make a profit. Besides it caught peoples attention.

Zythryn and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Three things you failed to mention - Hydrogen is expensive relative to gasoline and electricity, it is highly inefficient and requires electricity to produce, and where is the HFC infrastructure to prevent range anxiety.

As the article states, recharging at higher rates that will allow less than 15 minute "fuel" stops and 400+ mile range for BEVs is just around the corner. We should begin to see some of that this year.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep in mind that hydrogen will have a place in our society, but that will almost entirely be on the commercial side. The reach out via passenger vehicles right now is to stimulate support for that. Think about how practical they would be for large business fleets and the certain types of cargo trucks. Educating those who will fund those programs is difficult. Rollouts like this do a great job providing that information.

Plug-In vehicles face serious challenges in the meantime. High-Speed charging is basically non-existent when you consider how rare those stations actually are. There cost for equipment and the physical space they occupy makes them a monumental effort to rollout. A variety of vehicles supporting a minimum rate of 150kW simply aren't going to be realistic for a number of years still. We are very much in the earliest stages of rollout.

In other words, the doom & gloom and conclusions people are already drawing are complete nonsense. There's no reason to take any of that seriously. One thing you can count on though is there will not be a single solution. We are embarking on a multi-technology age where there will be a variety of approaches taken. The one-size-fits-all mindset is not constructive.

orenji and padroo like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    50 years, check back with me to see if i was right

padroo likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Canada .... finding hydrogen fool cells in commercial busses to be a complete waste.

Vancouver Ends Hydrogen Bus Program Amid High Costs | Gas 2

But who knows. Maybe the costs will come down .... maybe in 10 years? That's been the hydrogen Lobby's mantra - ever since the early 1970's.
    (don't shoot the messenger)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the address of your cemetery? :)

benagi likes this.
  10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    15 years ago a guy I worked with had stock in some hydrogen company. I laughed at him. Even if it does happen he and I will both be dead.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    NO! I don't plan to be where you are going to be in 50 years! :LOL:

bisco likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If it's commercial use for hydrogen, cheaper and easier to switch to natural gas. Can even use fuel cells if that is desired.
    Still have the issues of it being a fossil fuel, but the majority of hydrogen in the US is coming for it.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking most likely future scenario is the gradual phase-out of the personal vehicle, regardless of it's motivation.

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This may work in a major metropolitan area but flexibility is prized which is why there are so many forms of personal vehicles. As one who just got word that his 3 grandkids may move further away, I'm fortunate that within my lifetime I'll be able to go visit them on my schedule and not some personal vehicle replacement.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at where we were 100 years ago...there's no telling what personal transportation will look like 100 years from now.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree. it's changed so little, it will poly be very similar in 2120

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How's that Brownie box camera and abacus working for ya?

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is exactly the concept that Elon is working on. His idea is a vehicle that will be chartered by a number of different member/owners. The vehicle will be Fully Self Driving. You schedule the car and it will drive to you, pick you up, take you wherever you want to go, and then back home. This idea is already being implemented in private aircraft and works very well.

I expect there will be those on this Forum who will say it will never work, describe random edge cases, and reason why they will NEVER accept that arrangement. But it is going to happen sooner than later. In my particular case, we are going to be a single car household for the first time in about 50 years. Since we are both retired, we don't need two cars on a daily basis anymore. It is going to be less expensive for us to rent a second car or pickup the few times a year we might need it rather than paying for annual license, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc. PLUS, I'll have more room in the garage to store junk I never use! The next step for us in the future is get rid of our car altogether and belong to a personal transportation charter and let the car do the driving for us - groceries, medical, vacation, and visit the kids.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Self driving cars will be good for the elderly.

Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    nope - not true. Even years ago - that number was nearly $10,000 lower.
    Average Salary Information for US Workers
    So .... in a family of 2 wage earners you can almost double that 'average income to $89K.

again nope - best to give links for your sources - if any - because in reality;
    Even the most expensive Tesla, the model X, the household income average is less than your incorrect numbers;
    Tesla Owner Demographics by Age, Income, Gender, Home Value
    Your uncome #" s are off by a factor of ~2.

The model 3 is roughly ½ the cost of the model X ... even for the midrange. Then there's the used Market ..... as well as the soon-to-be-released short-range version ..... then there will be a used market for those as well.
    When you consider the largest % of Tesla's are in California, where the cost of living is way higher, the made-up unaffordable income statistic above looks even worse.

Rule of thumb - especially for younger car buyers ;
    Car Affordability Calculator: How Much Car Can I Afford?
    don't spend more than ⅓ of pre-tax yearly income for a car.

#20 hill, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Trollbait likes this.