1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Gazillionth tire question please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, May 30, 2008.

1. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :) I am so sorry to do this to you guys.
    I have read a million tire posts here and really do need to make a decision shortly on replacement tires on my 2006, living in Illinois. I have 40,000 miles on the oem Integrities and it is slipping and sliding with 4/32ths tread depth.
    All right I think I have narrowed it down to the Triple Treads or Hyroedge tires.
    I would really like to hear your opinions after having used these tires in snow/rain conditions after 20,000 miles or more please.
    Also and lastly which size do you have on your car 195 or 185?
    Please and thank you.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly, I would go with the wider 195/60/15 size. I think the wider width tread alone will get you better handling and more importantly, IMO, better/shorter braking distances. The braking distances of the Standard Prius with the stock Integrities are subpar or below average (it ranks only in the 30th percentile of Consumer Reports' road tests of around 270 current model cars). When Consumer Reports road tested the Touring Edition with its wider (and bigger) 195 tires, the 60-0 braking distances were 10 feet shorter dry and 12 feet shorter wet. I think all or most of that is due to the wider tires.

Secondly, I think it's basically a toss-up between the TTs and the HEs. You won't go wrong with either one. But note that both Consumer Reports and TireRack rate the TTs higher than the HEs. Here are the TireRack road test report and road test charts of the tires:

Comparing Our Top-Rated Passenger All-Season Tires

Comparing Our Top-Rated Passenger All-Season Tires

3. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I chose the TTs based on the Snow/Ice ratings on TireRack. That was enough for me but you can't go wrong with either one.

4. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for your responses. Yes it appears it is a toss up here.
    The 190x60x15 will fit on my oem rims?
    Thanks

5. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Shouldn't be a problem. I could only find the TTs in 195 so that's what I have on my OEM rims. Mine were done at Sears but be aware that some places (like Costco) will only mount OEM size tires. My feeling is that MOST places won't give you a hard time about it though.

6. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Boo,

I see you are driving the GY triple tread tires. Whats has your experience been with them as far as MPG, road noise, traction etc?

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Outside North America 195 - 60 15 or 195 - 55 16 are stock fitment. I'm happy with my standard Michelin Energy XM1 tyres and will be replacing them with Energy XM1+ soon after 85,000km which I find impressive on our roads.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love them. My Prius is the third car I've put them on. I notice greatly improved traction and handling in all conditions.

But as to MPG, road noise, ride comfort, etc. --- I wouldn't know ... I don't pay enough attention to that stuff.

9. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Geez, now you worry me! All was all set to order the TT and you don't know about the comfort or road noise?

Ok, people, any reason I should not order these tires for the midwest? Any? Like noise and comfort?

10. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I put on the TTs I noticed increased comfort in that the car felt more sure footed. They do have a higher rolling resistance which is noticeable and I took a mileage hit (maybe -5 mpg) for the first couple K. It's hard to judge because I purchased them in the fall as the temp was dropping so it's unclear what was causing the hit (tires or temp) but I would expect a short term drop.
    I did not notice any increase in noise but other might. It certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker. I can't give you any reason NOT to buy them unless money is an issue. You can certainly find cheaper tires but I feel they are important enough to justify the cost. Oh, and an added perk...they look pretty sweet too :cool:

11. Bobv

Bobv Junior Member

Has anyone tried the Hankook Mileage plus II tires? They get real good reviews and are priced a little lower than some of the big names. Goodrich Traction T/A gets good numbers at Tire Rack, any opinions out there?

12. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Goodyear won't put the wider tire on 15" wheels. I tried to do a new tire swap with the 195/60-15 comfortreds, and the Goodyear manager said he couldn't--it wasn't in the Prius spec. They will only do 185/65-15.
    If you've worn the Integritys down, it's a simple matter to buy the wider Goodyears at Tirerack, and have them installed locally at one of their non-Goodyear outlets. You will have to reprogram? the tire pressure readout, I guess.

13. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. thompsdw

thompsdw New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just changed to the Michelin X Radials (Sam's club in my case) and the difference is amazing! Much better ride with less noise and better grip. I choose based on consumer reports testing which put these over the Hydroedge. Hope this helps! I changed at 3,000 miles. The Integrity tires are junk in my opininon.

15. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am looking at the new cooper tire cs4 touring t. anyone have an opinion on these

16. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would like to know any experience with these tires also. I called my normal tire dealer who sells most brands and he recommended this tire also! He said the Goodyear TT would not work but the Cooper is a new great tire recommended by Motor Trend!
    Anybody?

17. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did he explain what "doesn't work"? Does he refuse to mount tires larger than the OEM size? If you really want the TTs you could always go somewhere else. There are several people here rolling on TTs without problem.

18. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have found no one that would change from oem sizes. It appears it happens everywhere but not here!

19. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm quite happy with my Yokohama Avid TRZ's in the 195 size. They were rated very higly by Consumer Reports. Not rated very good on ice, but no problem in Florida.

20. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One thing you have to be careful about, some tire places won't put anything on BUT OEM size tires. Which is 185-65/15. I have tried and Sam's Walmart or any national chain won't do it. They say it throws the handling and braking off and are afraid of lawsuits ffrom resoutant accidents. seems that the places with the best prices you lose in getting the size you want