1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Gen2 is all new to me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Toyota2, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Here i am in a 14 year old hybrid like it was just invented and I keep going Wow and Wow
    my hwy MPG has been solid 50 to 55 mpg I drive generally 200 plus miles a day
    speeds of 65 mostly but 80 if need be
    and accidently 98 surprised me .I gently let car build up to speed . I do not pound the car
    over all soft on the gas & let it build , around town EV is sweet over 60 mpg Tires 42 PSI
    I add Marvel mystery oil to fuel and use STP ceramic additive .
    Pure electric cars are hiding how great hybrid is

bisco and nancytheprius like this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you're getting almost 600 and some odd miles to a tank of fuel and that's pretty good especially doing the speeds you do doing the speeds I do I don't see much over 47 one which was the advertised gas mileage for the car when it was brand new which is pretty rare in itself to generally get and certainly I don't run much 80 miles an hour at all 65 and 70 is normal somewhat and like I say around 471 is the norm for my Gen 2 which is in quite good shape with 300,000 mi on it I'm not really using any oil and the engine has good compression and runs well so I guess it's kind of the luck of the draw and I also have a brand new HV battery brand new Panasonic from Toyota HV battery so I don't know how you folks are doing it I have other listers here with Gen 3s that claim they're getting over 50 miles to the gallon pretty much all the time I've never seen 50 miles to the gallon in my Gen 3 and it's got a pretty much new engine in it and is in very good shape no codes nothing wrong with it like I say it must be individual vehicles extreme driving habits I don't have people piled up behind me when I'm driving my Prius either I know people that do and they're still not getting 50 mi to the gallon but I don't care about that when my car was made 50 mi to the gallon was unheard of for a 2008 Prius unless you're driving 34 miles an hour everywhere or something and even then I don't think it would do it but that's great

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ev is an addiction.
    Hybrid, phev, bev. Resistance is futile

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  4. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Except for a gentle build up to speed is all I do ,egg soft I push
    Additives are a mind thing maybe they work maybe not but i've used marval since 1970s no harm
    Since I have a bad Evap , I fill till its at the fuel cap (really at cap) I drive off to work 100 miles to a smidge more 118 yesterday then back home 102 I fill after each trip to and fro equals consistent 50 mpg
    For the full trip 65/ 70 mph and if sneaks up tp 80 ill let it buzz a little bit , but no I don't drive 80 mph for 100 miles
    previous I was dealing with a truck same trip $50 to $60 per day at the moment i'm waiting to wake up if im dreaming $12 to $14 per day depending on prices that vary
    -----------------
    When I was a kid my brother-in-law had a 1968 SS camaro with a 350 4 speed . His factory car beat cars like they were standing still . I was a kid but raced a few cars with it & boom off the line gone never even a race .
    He told me he had a Factory Freak A cherry , a motor built just right from factory . I always remember that TERM Factory Freak . I think I may have one . not sure how long it will last but for now it's a freak at week number two in my life .

#4 Toyota2, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  5. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    ---------------------------
    I think you are right . Some info tid bits I notice , I've had cars & some aspects of cars are second nature
    like I cruised to work one morning 100 miles & decided to check the oil I open the hood I noticed a big thing
    where is the Heat , where is the woof of heat you get hit with from conventual cars . I put my hand on the motor and I can touch it
    Now i see some of the energy of propulsion is being absorbed with electric motor .Thats real .
    Next some people dislike automatic stop/start . A hybrid is seamless IC motor shuts off ; Then electric motor gets you going,smooth as silk IC motor flows on smooth
    working a hybrid is an Art the system is in place to use to deliver MPG . I've always like performance cars . (fast)
    The Gen2 is a performance car with an objective find your balance & your attuned skill will get great MPG
    wile keeping up with the Pack . There is much debate with pure electric cars . A hybrid is a no brainer efficient motor that delivers good MPG wile helping to keep battery charged along with regenerative components
    A self contained electric car , not 100% but yes , a percent of time.

#5 Toyota2, Oct 26, 2022
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what inspired me to buy a phev. pure ev around town, hybrid for the road. eventually, bev's will make more sense for more people

7. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The pure EV around town is like the apple that like dangles in front of a horse The EV has an apple , drive slow and great MPG is the prize the other reward is really safe around town driving .
    many IC motors = MPG that is about the same no matter driving slow or fast within reason .the reward is small & to really get results from an IC motor involves a driving stile not realistic around other drivers truly snail speed that people will run you off the road dirty looks .

#7 Toyota2, Oct 26, 2022
  8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ohh if it wasn't for tution......EV's would be first on the list..........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Many years before I fall into that I may not even make it may die first till it becomes reliable workable there's no way another few years yet maybe five so we get it down into anything some sort of reasonable even just regular automobiles people are paying premium and upgraded prices and all kinds of stuff just to buy a ice car. And electrics people are paying 10 12 15,000 over prices because so many people want them and they can't make them and then the big manufacturers that are just starting to come online like Chevrolet and them no way buddy you think you got ice problems just wait till the electrics there whacking out real quick start going to fubar . It will cost you an arm and a leg to straighten that mess out there's nothing hardly in place everything's $20,000 batteries parts service you'll be keeping your ice car a long time just to make sure when you're in holding cues with the EV people you have a way as you see all these teslarati people they don't have nothing when they don't have their car and they back to Uber and stuff costly costly terrible.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, I’ll be doing whatever it takes to keep my 10 year old pip running until things change one way or the other

11. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    True... I had a wrestler friend who's GF wrecked his car an he got a loaner from Tesla but it took 9 months to get his repared. He is a celebrity so He got a loaner ASAP. But your everyday Joe won't get that treatment from Tesla. Cars are a tool. When they don't work you will need another tool to keep you on the road. Different cars for different jobs. A nissan Leaf would would actually work for my wife with a daily commute of 7 miles round trip. In the winter to head to the MTS we take the Rover. Filling it up with gas is like $160 but I only run maybe 3 tanks a year through it. Driving it around every 2 weeks to keep the battery alive. The cybertruk shows potential for an all in one. Listed MSRP is the same as a Model Y. but I'm sure they will sell for $120 K like the Ford Lightning. Demand is just to high. The Bolt EUV has appeal with the lowest price point.

12. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find it very hard to believe= that you are getting 50 to 55 mpg hwy and 60mpg in town on your 14 year old Prius...:eek:
    When I purchased my 2008 Prius brand New-I never got anywhere near that kind of MPG, even when it was a brand new car.

13. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In the cooler fall months in CO. I could get 58mpg on a tank if I kept it under 60 and accelerated slowly and coasted to every stop. It was hard to do but I did manage it for a few tanks....when I dont care and drive at 75-80 on the HWy. I get about 47 MPG on a tank.

14. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He is saying that he is getting= 50 to 55 mpg HWY, driving 200 plus miles a day
    at speeds of 65 mostly- but 80 mph if need be.=I find that very hard to believe ...Especially on a 14 year old Prius:eek:

15. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I think if I put more miles per tank I might get more true average MPG .
    I topped off then put 100 miles re topped off & was 2 gallons been consistent
    But I do have a confirmed evap issue maybe its not allowing a full fillup like an air pocket . Like I notice one thing
    when my fuel gauge gets to last Led bar empty , a full fill up to the cap is only 4.5 gallons There must be a discrepancy going on with the Evap as that could cause vent issue at fill up .also hard to get a fillup to last Led bar on tank gauge I did manage once
    Regardless - my past situation of $50 per day to work & back home for One Day (true said)
    Now at best all I need for 5 days is $50 if not LESS . Thats real regardless of any Vent issues
    8 months of $50 per day 5 days a week then weekend personal use .
    Guess what . I have hope in my life I can not express