1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The George W. Bush Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Nov 30, 2005.

1. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

I would venture a wild nice person guess that those posts are made by overpriviledged, overweight kids raised by doting parents who sent them to the finest schools. They hate themselves, their parents and all they stand for, and this country. They worship Hollywood and psuedo intellectuals like Noam Chomsky. It is a shame, for them! They are missing out and they don't even know it. I'm glad I was poor and had to fight in a war. I got to see real suffering, and regardless of how history has been twisted, I was able to help quite a few Vietnamese. No help to Jane Fonda and her modern equivilent(s) who post here. -
    But I could be wrong.

(they should read Alan Watts)

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Your guess is wild and way off.

My parents were lower middle class, and I nearly broke their backs when I went to college. My parents and I have worked long and hard to get me to where I am now, so don't you dare call me a spoiled brat. And don't you dare insult my parents that way...

Yet I am a liberal. The fact that you so quickly stereotype me, and so quickly thrust yourself onto a pedestal and think you're better than me is sad.

And don't you insult me that way by implying that I hate my country. I love this country and the values that it stands for... but the fact is, you don't understand what it means to be a liberal, if you think it's synonomous with anti-patriotism.

3. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

I wasn't talking about you - I think most of your post are pretty on target (I think), but anyway I just wish people were able to realize how great this life is. But hey a little bit of inharmony is good, even desirable.

4. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

Jeez Laughingman, live up to your name - I wasn't talking about you and I guarantee I'm a lot more liberal than you think! BTW You didn't say if you were overweight.

5. LaughingMan

5 7" 130 lbs. Nope. not overweight.

Edit: my actual namesake is more firetounged that the name would imply. So far i think i've lived up to him.

6. LaughingMan

As for the interesting phenomena of various posters referring to Nazi Germany, Hitler, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

It was basically inevitable as this discussion became longer, and I think that basically means we're done here... B)

7. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

Thats pretty good, I'll have to reread it several times, but I think it was magieddd that first said the "H" word.

8. LaughingMan

It would seem that way. Oh well. This discussion is over then!

:lol:

9. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm still listening... this was getting interesting! ;)

11. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But, if I remember it correctly, it was the mention of the occupation of the Rhineland...a historical event that happened to be done by Nazi Germany...

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I think you are still missing the point. You are concentrating on the worst aspects of fascist Germany under Hitler. And I do know my history pretty well. So you know, USA had pretty good relationship with the early stages of the Nazi regime. We had been even supplying them with weapons and machinery while they were building up their ultimate war machine, which eventually fell out of control. We didn't have any problems with that at that time, because nobody cared or listened. My sole idea of comparison was to draw the parallels with our government having fascist tendencies and certainly heading that way by share assumption that war in Iraq is justifiable.
    That means, a miniscule usage of torture, dropping bombs and targeting people without any intelligence whatsoever is a fascist tendency, and Vietnam was not a just cause. 2 million Vietnamese lost their lives, for what? What have we accomplished by loosing 50,000 of our troops, without questioning governmental leaders and their political strategists? The whole fear factor is created by the interest groups within the United States and it is used to blind and smokescreen the real issues within our country. Sadly, people are too tired to really seek the truth in the barrage of daily responsibilities, eventually becoming a blindfolded sheep that will succumb to any nationalistic vindictive, therefore fascist ideas. And this is the FASCISM I had in mind not the simplified, the worse of the German Hitler era fascism, known to the average Joe. I certainly do see a parallel in between the rightwing nationalist speeches and Geobbels’ propaganda speeches, the utilization of militaristic regalia, radio speeches in Germany with militaristic marches, portrayal of German soldiers as saints and individuals glorified to the status of super national heroes with their nicely organized marches, torch bearing and nonchalant bullying of ANY individuals who would posses a slightest notion of the dissent and again this is the comparison I had in mind. I am sorry, that you guys with all your sacrifices don't see that there is so much room for an improvement in our country, but I do. You want to perpetuate a militaristic power, dropping of bombs and subjugating regimes all over the world to utopian ideas, such as building democracies, fighting evil, eradicating terrorism, starting crusades etc., while we are in a desperate need of solving simple issues, such as racial divide, social divide, elitism, lobbying (corruption) that benefits very few. And I thought real democracy means more pluralism not plutocratic benefits for the well positioned with their capital.
    And also, so you know, the German fascists were hiding under the banner of Christianity as well.

I was never privileged, my parents were poor and never received a penny for college, in other words, they didn't BUY me education, in some elitist Ivy League school. I did it on my own through the public system. I am not a fan of Chomsky, although I have to admit that some of his ideas are grand and also utopian. Certainly not a Hollywood fan, and I DO NOT watch TV. I gather my information via internet from respectable news outlets such as Reuters, Associated Press etc. and not from some jingoistic, full of provocation shows such as Rush Limbough, who has no educational, nor journalistic values other than shady warmongering entertainment. I have had a chance to backpack the world and see the issues of our planet with my own eyes from all perspectives, bumping into young and old within many countries, with many different political and social ideas, and varied cultural differences, and I got to one conclusion, that one cannot get an acceptance, friendship and partnership, respect and any mutual benefit from BULLYING others. Being within the poorest of Sub-Saharan Africa, booming Asian Tigers, well-established European democracies and South American of identity struggling nations, allowed me to have a better perspective how to view the world that can benefit our children and grandchildren in United States. The understanding of the issues is the only way to go forward and your oversimplifying of issues under the umbrella of skewed patriotism and nationalism is short sighted for a long run for our great nation. We should at all cost minimize enemies instead of instigating a mass hatred and disdain to our country.
    I am a proud American. One doesn’t have to bear a weapon to feel patriotic!

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The thing that people seem to forget or to minimize about WWII is that the U.S. didn't want to go to war in the beginning. We were adamant about staying out of that problem in Europe and Hitler got stronger and invaded more and more countries. We stayed out of it until the Nazi's sunk the Lusitania (not sure of the spelling there) and the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. We didn't get in to WWII for the greater good or a higher purpose; we got in to it because they f**ked with us and then we got interested. There are parallels between what the U.S. is doing now and what other superpowers have done throughout history. When you're the big kid on the block you do whatever you want. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's true that people who don't know history are doomed to repeat it but it's also true that people who know history and choose to ignore it are also doomed to repeat it.

14. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lusitania was World War I, again I apologize, I was a military history major! Germany declared war on us...considered one of the biggest mistakes in world history as the US population would have been content to direct all it's energy towards Japan.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    History major? You're a doctor but you majored in history? Thanks for clearing that up for me. But the fact remains that the U.S. didn't want to go to war and stayed out of it for years and didn't enter in to WWII for a higher purpose. Of course, it's possible that Osama got a lot more than he bargained for. F***ing with the U.S. is the best way to get all kinds of whoopass rained down upon you.

16. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Longest one term president we have ever had!

17. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, History & Economics major with minors in Art History & Military Science(ROTC). If you look at the website for the American Association of Medical Colleges, you'll see that humanities majors have higher acceptance rates into medical school than science majors.
    2. I'm just correcting a historical inaccuracy in the post...I'm really not interested in the political aspect of this thread.

18. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here I go again, as of right now, Lyndon Johnson is the longest one term president. After Kennedy was asassinated, he served 14 months of Kennedy's term. Since it was less than 2 years, it was not considered a term. So on top of his 48 months after his reelection, his one term presidency was 62 months. George Bush is only up to 58 months.

And I do get the joke you were trying to make. :lol:

19. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

For a second there, I thought you were referring to the bombing of the asprin factory in the Sudan by Pres. Clinton B)

20. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

There are so many fallatious arguments and such disconnected logic to your post it is almost impossible to counter. Several points I'd like to make: A) Vietnam was a very noble cause, which was totally undermined by the American left. The Vietnamese people needed us, wanted us, wanted freedom, feared the NVA, and were absolutely screwed by our departure. And thats when they were slaughtered. Now they are living under Communism, which is a bleak existence to say the least. I know YOU would never tolerate it. B) No one is hiding under the banner of Christianity, as it is Jews, Protestants, aetheists, and even vegetarians and Prius owners that are being attacked by the muslim terrorists - and are fighting back. I don't think anyone is hiding under anything least of all Christianity. C) Geobbels’ propaganda speeches? You speak as though you were there. D) "Us guys with all our sacrifices" do know there is plenty of room for improvement in this country, we may know that better than most. E) We are at all costs trying to minimize our enemies. This country does soooo much for the rest of the world it is staggering. You either don't know about it or refuse to believe there are any decent people in the good ole U.S. of A. You seem to want to appease the radical muslims and ask for their forgiveness. F) Maggie you take care of " solving simple issues, such as racial divide, social divide, elitism" and let George Bush and guys like me and the military run the war so you can whine and complain with impunity. Remember - it is the military not the professors that keep this nation free. G) And one last thing! Tell your senators Hanoi John and Teddy that they both are a complete disgrace to the decent people of flyover country. OK All together now! America America my country tis of Thee..