1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Aschillumeit, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 18 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]408215[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have that problem, since I got rid of my other cars. As for the smart key, I never take it out of my pocket, unless I'm putting it on the buffet in the living room before going to bed, or briefly taking it out to unlock the front door of the house. Then it goes immediately back into the pocket.

Dave M.

2. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 13 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]405072[/snapback]</div>
    As far as lockable storage, use the drawer in the bottom front of the console. It does not lock, but most Prius owners don't even know its there.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. I have about 1100 miles on it as of this morning.

Good:

Passing a Chevy Tahoe on a downhill at 71 mph while the gas engine is off.

Getting 45mph while driving normally (including passing Chevy Tahoes at 71 mph)

Interior is comfortable and large, with adequate headroom. It was one of the few cars that got at least 30mph and I could still fit into.

Bad:

More sensitive to crosswinds than I expected. I may have to invest in the stiffening plate and I'm going to have the alignment checked at the first service.

It will scare the crap out of you the first time the engine starts when you are backing up in a parking lot. (When I felt the engine start, I thought that I backed into something)

Ugly:

The exterior styling is a little homely IMO, but it grows on you quickly (especially considering the great mileage)

4. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do your math on the payback. $/gal x miles per year x saved gals versus increased price over other cars. Consider oil changes and types of oil versus extended warranty. Look at resale prices, mileage is the number one factor.

Dislikes after 120k: Seats, tires, highway stability, dash rattles.

5. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I’ve had my 05 for about a month now. I got it with 85k miles for $12,000.

• Mileage
    • Looks
    • Bluetooth

Dislikes:
    • Inside beep when in reverse (why would they do this?)
    • Gas tank spewing out fuel after filling normally. Doesn't Toyota know this is a design flaw that could have bad consequences?
    • Big rearview mirror limits visibility for anyone over 5’8’’

Wants:
    • USB/wireless connection to be able to download performance data to pc as a factory option
    • Gauges – I like knowing what is going on rather than just having idiot lights
    • More powerful battery and electric motor to do more than just assist.
    • Adjustable seats.
    • A standard 12v battery that can easily be replaced. The extra weight can’t make that much difference.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Mar 21 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]409509[/snapback]</div>
    People sometimes shift to Reverse and then forget. Hard to believe until one does it one's self.

Fuel spew is likely either a faulty pump nozzle or failure to insert the nozzle sufficiently into the car's fill pipe. I agree the Prius seems more susceptible to the latter than are many cars.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Mar 21 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]409509[/snapback]</div>

It is possible to turn this off. I did it on my car in the first week. I agree, it is incredibly annoying.

http://priuschat.com/Reverse-Beeps-in-2007-t27944.html