1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Great Divide: Prius lovers are steadfast, but the haters

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dbarry, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got a few comments as well.

So the car was damaged due to "insert appropriate derogatory comment here" and needed body work. Has anyone priced body work? No matter what you drive you're looking at a few hundred dollars, even for something minor.

I can't see how they can hold the body work against the car when their driver admitted fault.

Scheduled maintenance. Again...what gives? It should be free?

I also don't see how normal driving will result in tearing the visor. You can't predict how long any lamp will last no matter what. You can buy a light bulb from the store and it can die in a few hours of use. It happens.

Bottom line is the Prius is not for everyone. For me...I find driving much more relaxing. For others it's the opposite. You want "performance" I.E. a muscle car then don't buy this car. That's not what it's designed for. And if the car were driven properly, they'd get more than 42 mpg. I'm getting between 45-55 mpg city and I've only been driving three weeks and the car isn't even broken in yet. I expect to do better once I break my "bad" habits. Sounds like the authors of the article are faulting the Prius for not allowing them to continue their bad and wasteful driving habits.

However..I'll repeat...the Prius is not for everyone. But if everyone for which the Prius is a "good" fit drove one...this country wouldn't need to import foreign oil anymore.

And isn't that the point?

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drove one tank as irresponsibly as possible and got 44 MPG. I could have done worse but my long commute kept driving up the mileage. I can understand how the mileage can be this low if the car is driven like I used to drive my truck.

3. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    One thing all these "experts" seam to forget when comparing to deisel motors is the polution factor. Sure you can get a deisel with the same or better consumption,at a similar price, but the Prius puts out circa 70% less polution. Also there isnt the cancer causing particle in petrol that deisel had.

Now which is greener.

The trouble with a lot of car programs and magazines it that all the reviewers like Lambo's, Aston Martins, porches and expensive luxuriy sport cars. How often do you see these guys actually testing real world cars and giving them good marks?

The UK's Top Gear is a prime example.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Re: The Great Divide: Prius lovers are steadfast, but the ha

A TDI Golf/Jetta faster than a Prius? Hahahahahaha! I've looked at 0-60 times for the Prius and the TDI and the Prius has faster acceleration (I don't remember by how much... not much of a difference but the Prius's time was quicker).

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Also notice the ice/snow on the road around the Prius. A Jetta TDI could get the same mileage and more, but when it's bright and sunny outside while the Prius is driven in worse conditions.

6. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I strongly feel no one has to "learn" how drive a Prius to get good MPG. Ray tried hard to get poor mileage (above) and wound up with 44MPG, I drive fast & hard, 75MPH on highways, lots of short trips, and get about 45MPG consistently. I'd say short of rolling down all the windows, blasting the A/C, and going 100MPH on the highway, you'd have a hard time doing much worse than low 40s consistenly. When did 40MPG become bad for a car this size?

Of course, better, more efficient driving will get you better MPG, as with any car. Most drivers don't get EPA MPG on any car, though it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

The point, I guess.. you can drive it like any other car and get really good mileage and decent performance. You can drive it nicely and get GREAT mileage. I think it's nice to have the choice as opposed to cars that sacrifice one over the other. Apparently many reviewers don't agree.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

A coworker has a 2004 VW Golf TDI, about the same build vintage as my Prius. We have kept track of our fuel economy and concluded that, for the most part, I'm around 10% ahead in city driving but we're the same on the highway.

A VW Golf TDI is quite a bit cheaper to buy than a Prius up here, but the Golf is also a lot smaller too. For around the same money you could get into a VW Jetta Wagon TDI.

I've test-drove a VW Jetta sedan TDI and will admit it *feels* faster and is certainly more satisfying to drive. Based on the rumblings of a few VW owners around here, reliability continues to be a sore spot ...

8. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"84272)</div>
    Well, I have a friend with a 2004 VW Golf Diesel, and he's getting about 42 MPG on the highway. Not sure what the average is -- I'll ask him.
    [/b][/quote]

38 is Highway EPA mileage for a Passat. Golf is a smaller car than either Passat or Prius so 42MPG sounds reasonable. Of course, on the highway Prius gets closest to it's EPA, and 51MPG isn't hard to pull off, especially if you're driving EPA test speed of 55MPG. Regular cars do best on highway where Prius gets less advantage, so the difference is less. Most primarily highway drivers (e.g. extremely Rural) will probably be less interested in a Prius than city/suburbanites since they have conditions where regular cars get their best mileage.

9. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

Auto magazine reviewers have always been near the bottom of my credibility list. The only slight exception is with Consumers Reports, but even there I occasionally disagree with their assessments.

So it is not with surprise that I see the review of the Prius, but I give it no serious thought.

I studied the Prius for one year before buying one. Most of my information was from Consumers Reports, newsgroups such as this and actual looking at and driving it.

My final decision was based on interest in its technology, ifeatures, fuel cost savings, room, quality, and dependability. Since life is very fragile, especially for people like me in their 70's, I wanted my wife to have a reliable, safe and inexpensive care to operate in the event that I was disabled or deceased. I think the Prius meets my needs and desires (and it is pleasant to drive).

So, AutoWorld go to h**** with your printed spam!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get it. This author's just like the Honda salesman in my other thread "Back-to-Back Hybrid Test Drive". How can you compare a 4 cylinder to a V6? Duh, anyone can tell you a V6 is more powerful. That Accord Hybrid I tested was showing an avg of 17.5mpg on the instrument panel. Now, I've heard of journalists getting that kinda mileage but when I looked at their pics, it looked like they did the test in the dead of winter. I took the test drive yesterday in 20°C/68°F weather and it was sunny. No excuses there. What's the HAH rated as? 30 something right? omg, that's half the posted mileage :roll:

11. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orsino\";p=\"84279)</div>
    Why should I have to "learn" to drive this car??? That's plain silly. If you drive ANY car like you guys drive the Prius, you WILL get better gas mileage. They are driving the car like they drive any car.
    Our Prius is my wife's car. She is not a performace car person at all. She gets 43mpg.
    So, I can easily identify with the Autoweek article.

12. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

13. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Ok, I give. I've read all your replys. I can't drive, the Prius is the best car ever and I've sold everything I own and live off the land.
    Geez.

Seriously, all I've been trying to do is present the other side, but most of you aren't interested. And that's ok. Everyone comes at this thing from their own perspective.

As an avid Autoweek reader I could rebuff most of the comments, but there doesn't seem to be any point. In the end, the were A) disappointed in the gas mileage not being higher B) bored driving the car. I can relate to both.

I'm glad we have the Prius, and I'm glad my wife loves it. I enjoy reading you guys passion about the car. I'm equally glad it isn't my daily driver.

Cheers!

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Car "Enthusiast" press is the same crowd that rolls it' s eyes in uncomprehending condescension every time it's mentioned that the 4 cylinder Camry is the number one selling car. It's also 'boring' with a decidedly un-sporty handling setup.

But, the sales numbers clearly show which is the mainstream opinion, and which is the fringe.

15. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus\";p=\"84492)</div>
    And this is relative how? Ford Taurus used to be the biggest seller. Its dull, too. No one ever said boring cars aren't top sellers.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read the article and thought it was fair. They were honest about why they were 'bored' with Prius. Fair enough.

I was bored with my Expedition. I was tired of paying huge amounts of money for a car that usually carried either just me or me and 60lbs of kids. I outgrew the "big truck = big man" mentality.

Maybe, one day, I'll be bored with Prius too. In fact, I wouldn't at all be suprised if that were the case. Middle age is upon me and I could easily see myself looking at either a sportier speedster or a luxury vehicle of some time in the next several years. I HOPE I'll still want a hybrid Caddy or whatever and that I'll still be rational in my choices.

The perspective those car writers come from is so far off of that of the average real-world driver that their mpg numbers and their perspective on the 'fun factor' is going to be very far from the norm.

If you're a Jet fighter pilot used to pulling 9Gs it's going to be tough to maintain your excitement about riding the Tilt-a-whirl for very long. But if you've only been on kiddy rides previously the Tilt-a-whirl is going to be a real rush. Not a great comparison, but hopefully it'll make sense.

Guys that read auto enthusiast magazines (since age 8) are not, for the most part, going to be the ones seeking out a Prius. Thier minds go to HPs and 0-60s and 1/4 miles. Handling and braking are foremost. MPG is something they worry about much later and emissions never cross their minds.

Prius can't, won't, and shouldn't be everyone's 'cup of tea'--what a boring world this would be if it was.

17. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have to admit I get a real chuckle out of many of these "performance magazine" reviews. If it was up to them, we'd all be driving fire-breathing cars and trucks that get 4.8 MPG and no catalytic convertors.

There are so many "issues" involved here a crafty Shrink could make a good living off it.

For the most part, I think a lot of the focus on the target audience (Males) has to do with exploiting the subconscious fear the target audience has about the imagined size of their reproductive organ.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that the size of said organ appears to be inversely proportional to the size of vehicle driven. :wink:

I think it's fortunate that we do have some practical and secure guys out there who could give one rat's a** about what other people think about their mode of transportation. First and foremost they are practical - pragmatic - to pick a mode of transportation that makes the most financial sense.

It's a - mostly - free country, so if somebody feels the "need" to drive a car or truck that will lay down 60 ft long tire marks on command, go for it. Or if somebody feels the need to "control" the road by being the only occupant in a Suburban, go for it. I'm all for "freedom" of choice.

But if the same individual bitches and moans about the cost of gassing it up, I'll smack 'em. Or if the same individual drives irresponsibly and happens to flatten a pedestrian in a clearly-labeled pedestrian crosswalk, perhaps their said organ should be chopped right off.

As far as "boring" cars, they appear to also be the safest cars. You're not bloody likely to drive like a speeded up freak behind the wheel of a Prius, though such behavior is hard to control in a Mustang, Camaro, Vette, or other high HP "performance" car.

I will admit that on certain days I get into races with 4WD trucks and high performance cars. Usually after a blizzard when the roads are slick, and my Prius has the winter tires on. I can easily blow their doors off without exceeding the legal speed limit.

19. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

You're just taunting me, aren't ya?

>>Oddly enough, I've noticed that the size of said organ appears to be inversely proportional to the size of vehicle driven. <<

There's a non-stereotype statement. You know the 'Vette owners wear thick gold chains, right?

>>But if the same individual bitches and moans about the cost of gassing it up, I'll smack 'em. Or if the same individual drives irresponsibly and happens to flatten a pedestrian in a clearly-labeled pedestrian crosswalk, perhaps their said organ should be chopped right off<<

I agree completely.

>>As far as "boring" cars, they appear to also be the safest cars.<<

So? I mean that's nice if its important to you, but I'm not in the market for the safest car. A safe one perhaps, but I don't need the car to protect me.

>>Usually after a blizzard when the roads are slick, and my Prius has the winter tires on. I can easily blow their doors off without exceeding the legal speed limit.<<

Well, talk about "safe" behavior...

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popsrcr\";p=\"84531)</div>
    No.

And those hideous pinky rings too.

I'm not racing down the street at 110 MPH. When the light turns green, I check for cars sliding through the red, then briskly accelerate. Thanks to the snow tires, I don't slip and slide.

Behind me, the pickups, SUV's, and "performance" cars with easily 2-3 times my HP are still spinning their tires trying to get moving. Then at the next red light they usually slide right through the intersection since their puny "all-season" tires have zero grip on polished ice.

Now that the weather is nice, I just accelerate as I normally do. If the idiot in the pickup or SUV feels a strong urge to blow my doors off, whatever. Through a typical traffic light cycle, they are no more than 2-3 car lengths ahead of me at the end of my journey.

That's a difference of maybe 15 seconds. And my Prius easily got 4 times the fuel economy.

To make the roads safer, I'm all in favor of *lowering* the speed limits down to 55 MPH or maybe 50 MPH, strictly enforced. When this was done in the 70's, highway fatalities were reduced 1/3. This would also dramatically lower fuel consumption.