1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'The Great Global Warming Swindle' -- Video Here

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Mar 11, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This makes me think of Reefer Madness, the honest and unbiased portrayal of marijuana use.

I have to wonder, though, why we are arguing about this. There is no doubt that sea ice is melting. No doubt that islands are flooding. No doubt that the hottest years on record have occurred in the last decade. Are the naysayers arguing that it's not mankind's fault? So what! When we are waging wars over food and water, will it make you feel better that it's not your fault? Is that what this is all about?

I truly believe that the mercury levels found in fish is not natural. I truly believe that the smog clouds engulfing large cities is not natural. I truly believe that when mankind digs up millions of tons of buried carbon, burn it, and pump it into the atmosphere, there will be impacts.

But I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong.
    If, in 50 years, nothing changes and all the computer simulations are inaccurate, I will bow my head in shame and apologize to the world. I will shake the hand of every child and tell them that I honestly thought I was doing the right thing. I will admit that I was wrong.

On the other hand. . .
    If, after 50 years of lawsuits, complaining, and lobbying nothing has changed and all the computer simulations are correct. If all the really bad things actually do come true. I expect the naysayers to apologize publicly. I expect them to shake the hand of every child inheriting their mess and explain that they ignored the data, maintained the status quo, and ignored the warning signs.

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There will be people who declare there is no global warming even as the sea levels rise into our coastal cities, just as there is still a flat earth society today.

After watching Al Gore's film I can't imagine anyone declaring it bunk. But people all have a right to their own opinion.

Dave

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 11 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]403915[/snapback]</div>
    Anytime balance is altered in an ecosystem, rectifications are made. For instance, mono crop cultures are more apt to acquire diseases. That's one example. Here's another, man will continue to alter the atmosphere that has provided us with the balance from which we've acquired and sustain our lives. The rectification on this level will be that of severe weather events that kill people, relocation of weather patterns that alter drought patterns killing even more people. Diseases will relocate as well, depending on the locale in which temperatures and other conditions facilitate killing more people. The insects that provide us with our food are at risk of extinction as the plants upon which they rely for their food will have altered bloom times and it's likely that these insects will not adapt their life cycles as quickly as their food source. So, yes, you are correct. The earth will respond to the adjustments we continue to make to the atmosphere and the necessary corrections will be forced.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 11 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]403962[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't surprise me a bit, because it is coming from a "open minded" and "tolerant" left that is pushing a faith based political agenda.

Wildkow

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 12 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]404347[/snapback]</div>
    LOL, our whole economic model is faith based thus the political posturing that works to ensure we maintain the status quo is faith based. We (our nation) are living in a fantasy land.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 12 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]404347[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 12 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]404351[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of fantasies...the LEFT is pushing a faith-based agenda????

Hmmm...didn't somebody mention "Reefer Madness" a few posts back?

(Oops...not just "somebody," but the inimitable TonyPSchaefer...my bad...)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 12 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]404218[/snapback]</div>
    We also have a responsibility to fully inform ourselves and consider other points of view.

8. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    speaking of faith based. The bible does not mention to love thy earth, respecty thy planet and it certainly is not talking about Global Climate Change. So why worry, if it really happens, it is just the rapture making its grand entrance.

Humans have an effect on their environment. This can cut both ways. Moderation and reciprocity with regards to the resources we take from our environment are NOT our strong suit. I believe that GCC happens in cycles naturally, however humans are exasperating the extend of a natural phenomenon. To think otherwise is foolhardy and very dangerous. I will gladly be wrong and share a clean glass of water and a breath of fresh pure air, heck I will even buy a nay sayer a beer and celebrate that I was wrong!

9. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    humm, something is happing, you, me, us: what is the cause?? SO the CO2 levels are rising... is the USA the cause? I understand that "WE" (usa) are droping.. but China and Inda (etc) are more than making up for it... (now what was that number, oh yea we can't be sure China won't let us check ) ... I understand China as stated we will do whatever we want... now go away...

Is the CO2 the reason for the temp rise??? They can't be sure.. the levels have been higher in the past... I don't think the USA ("WE") was the cuase... humans had not made it over here yet.

Guys, answer me this... in the same time that the temp here (earth) has risen... the temp on Mars has too????? why???? ... OH.. OH.. I know the earths CO2 levels... ha. The SUN... what factor does it have over the earth??? sure has been active over the last 20 years... in general that is. Might that have helped in the O3 layer drop also??

should we do nothing... no.. should we panic.. no.. want the CO2 levels to drop... plant more trees... keep the seas safe... and nots of other things... CO2.. we take in O2.. give off CO2... I know reduce the pop... and cows...

all I am saying is the amount we know about the whole Earth Envro systems are not even close to what is needed to really understand what is going on... maybe in 100's of years we will have what it takes to really know what is what... if we don't kill each o other off before that.. and by the looks of things we are close to doing just that. And, no, I don't mean GW. with us gone.. who cares what happens! I won't...

just thinking out loud.. and for what I know maybe out my back side :rolleyes: And, by the looks of things a whole lot of others. Sorry for any grammer/spelling/ such errors..

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjm877 @ Mar 12 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]404662[/snapback]</div>
    We know a lot more about environmental systems than you give credit for. I think you should study climate change a bit more. There are some good sites out there that walk the line between the anti-AGW crowds and the environmental extremists. :)

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 12 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]404356[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, non-natural Global Warming and Evolution, it takes a lot of faith to believe in those two. :)

Wildkow

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 13 2007, 02:21 AM) [snapback]404734[/snapback]</div>
    I beg to differ. Those are scientifically-based, not faith-based. Perhaps you misunderstand the primary scientific definitions of the word "theory." In which case, see THIS reference. [​IMG]

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Mar 11 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]403826[/snapback]</div>
    Who made this video?

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 13 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]404804[/snapback]</div>
    Martin Durkin

He is known for "mugging" scientists for their quotes to twist them to fit his films purpose.

15. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 13 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]404804[/snapback]</div>
    A filmmaker named Martin Durkin, for Britain's Channel 4 (not a BBC channel). One of Durkin's previous films, broadcast by Channel 4 ~10 years ago was called (and I'm not joking) Against Nature, and led to Channel 4 broadcasting an apology because the film had misrepresented the views of 4 interview subjects.

Comparison of the unedited and edited interview transcripts confirmed that the editing of the interviews with these four contributors had indeed distorted or misrepresented their known views. It was also found that the production company had misled them, when it originally sought their involvement, as to the format, subject matter and purpose of the programmes. No mention had been made of the critical position the programmes intended to adopt, for example in correspondence.
    The ITC did not uphold the majority of the complaints. However, the programmes breached the Programme Code in respect of the failure to make the four interviewees adequately aware of the nature of the programmes, and the way their contributions were edited. The Commission directed Channel 4 to issue an on-screen apology to the individuals concerned. The apology was transmitted on Sunday 5 April.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/itc...aint_id=40.html

Subsequent films on silicon implants and genetically-modified foods again resulted in complaints from interview subjects that they had been misrepresented.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 13 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]404815[/snapback]</div>
    I know his brother very well - Michael Moore :D Both went to the same film school.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 13 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]404830[/snapback]</div>
    Touche! LOL

18. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 13 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]404644[/snapback]</div>
    Au contraire:
    "And Jehovah God proceeded to take the man and settle him in the garden of E′den to cultivate it and to take care of it." (Genesis 2:15 NWT)
    "fill the earth and subdue it" (Genesis 1:26 NWT)
    Man was entrusted with the care of the earth and the life on it. At the moment, I believe it has been overly-"subdued". ;)
    "He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited" (Isaiah 45:18 NWT)
    And, his purpose for the earth has not changed:
    "The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it." (Psalms 27:29 NWT)
    "But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time ... to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." (Revelation 11:18 NWT)

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 13 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]404838[/snapback]</div>
    It is unfortunate that these teachings are contrary to what benifits us most. We should not attempt to subue and control the earth and it's systems.

St. Francis Assisi also taught love of nature.

"That same connectedness was recognized by great spiritual leaders and moral theologians throughout every religious tradition in the history of mankind, who used parables, allegories, and fables taken from nature as morality plays to teach us the difference between right and wrong—to teach us what the face of God looks like. I don't believe that nature is God, or that we ought to be worshipping it as God. But I do believe that it's the way God communicates to us most forcefully. God talks to human beings through many vectors—through each other, through organized religion, through the great books of those religions, through art, literature, music, poetry, and dance—but nowhere with such force and clarity and texture and grace and joy as through creation. And therefore, destroying the environment is the moral equivalent of tearing the last pages out of the last Bible, Torah, Talmud, Qur'an, or Upanishad on earth. It's a cost that I don't believe is prudent for us to impose upon ourselves, and I doubt if we have the right to impose it upon our children. And that's all that environmental advocacy is about—recognizing that we have an obligation to the next generation. ~ Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

20. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 13 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]404838[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the enlightenment. I find most of those passages encouraging, but I take issue with the "subdue" clause :) That is very easily interpreted as "take advantage of it", without considering the consequence or loss of balance. I still can't shake the feeling though that most think that their deity of choice will come in the end correct it all... so why make change or care for something when the end is written.

I personally find that offensive to the process of creation, be it spiritually guided or not. If we were put here to do nothing, we might as well be rocks :), humankind has an obligation to transcend the mere procreate for procreations sake cycle.

...but still no mentioning of GW/GCC though, eh?