1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The great Prius mileage challenge. 818 mile tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ray Moore, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Dan- I seem to have about three gallons left when I get the fuel message. The spread sheet I use lets me enter the current miles and average at the end of each trip and then it computes the fuel used and the trip MPG. That way I dont reset the display throughout the tank. You can download it and delete the entries if you want to try it for yourself. Is there a way for you to post your strategies here for others to read. I know you have posted them elsewhere but yahoo is a pain to search through for me.

Tom- That's great! The coasting in neutral thing helps a lot too. It's not for everybody though.

2. twdusa

twdusa New Member

Well Ray........I think you can just imagine what I would have given for a lousy 3.4 MORE MILES, *#%* OOHH NOOO just another 3.6 miles. :cussing:

Well mabe next time!

3. twdusa

twdusa New Member

After I thought about it for a while.......I was 3.4 miles short of your 818 total miles, But I was 2.6 miles over your 65.1 MPG MFD ave @ 818 with 67.7 MPG MFD ave @ 814 :lol: Well......what I would have given for just two more teaspoons of GAS!! :oops: :cry:

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Tom-

I am so pleased to see this. Squeeze the gas in next time and show everybody a 900 mile tank!

I'm really excited by this. Will you try again or relax for a tank or two? I can't wait to see you raise the bar again.

I went 141 miles on the flashing bar. Are you sure you couldn't have gone another 50 miles? I get 12.7 gallon fillups without running out. With your average that would be 860 miles.

5. twdusa

twdusa New Member

Thanks Ray. Yes, it is time to relax for a while.

It took 17 days to rack that one up and my wife hasn't driven the car since the end of June! It is now her turn to play Prius. It sure was a lot of fun though. I may make another milage try in September. I will take your advise and try to really squeeze the fuel in before I start.

I think that "Playing the Prius MDF" is going to become a very popular and competitive adult game in the near future. Good Luck to you on the 900 mile tank, if anyone can do it.....you can!

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No, you're the 900 mile guy. Actually Dan K. is the 967 mile guy. I don't think I'll ever see a 900 mile tank. My commute has too many highway miles to allow that to happen.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    twdusa WTG

ok u 2 r making me think my 600 mile tank is lame... i may have to go for ummm...650...maybe

8. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"107986)</div>
    Hi Ray,
    I filled up this morning, just 25 miles after the "add fuel" message. That blinking is very distracting and stressfull to look at. The other problem is that I have several short but steep hills that seem to cause havoc with my tank level sensors. If I can go from 2 bars to blinking while going up a steep hill, I can certainly go from blinking to "out of gas".

When I filled I used my usual technique. The pump autostopped at 9.3 gallons and I squeezed in the usual 1.2 more for a total of 10.5. But then I pulled out my floor jack and jacked up the drivers side rear as high as I could go. That let me get in another 1/4 gallon! I guess that was worth another 20 miles of range. I figure I had at least 2 gallons left.

Anyway, it was nearly a record tank for me (900). I could have pushed for 968 but this week I have to drive the kids around alot and I don't need the stress of running out of gas with them on board.

I did ~ 200 miles of "technique evaluation testing" this tank in which I reset the MFD before each test to get accurate results. So that means no pretty picture to post. I will have one in 3 weeks or so that might prove interesting.

Dan

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hahahaaaa! I can't wait!

10. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ray,
    Here is a little something to whet your appetite. I am two days into this tank. 75 miles each day, 50 for my commute 25 for the trip to the inlaws to pick up the kids. At this rate, I might have my first 1000 mile tank by early next month! Stay tuned!

11. twdusa

twdusa New Member

OK krousdb,

Your last post was on the 19th. What is your status? Give us an update!

12. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am at 803 miles, 85.7 MPG. I just went from 2 bars to 1 bar on the fuel gauge as I pulled into the driveway. I'm on schedule to hit 1000 miles over the weekend..... If the fuel holds out anyway.

Dan

13. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yes YES YES!!!

Go for 1100! you can do it. 85x13=1105

You are so freaking awesome.

So after this, let's start a thread where we talk about the real tweaks and details that we use to get the killer mileage. I have an idea of how you are able to do this but I want to hear it from you. I know you've talked about it on yahoo, but that site is just too dang hard to surf and search on for this southern boy. How about it?

14. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How the hell are you guys gettin this?.....
    I'm still relatively new with only 4k miles on my #6 but I've not seen 50 mpg consistently yet......

sigh!

15. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is mainly my daily commute. I would have to attribute most of it to a route that was carefully chosen.

I will post a picture of what I end up with. We can discuss further on a new thread.

On the weekend of Aug 5-7, a team of four drivers will attempt a 1200 mile tank. Of course this is nonstop driving over an optimized course so it isn't something that one could duplicate in real life. We hope to average over 100 MPG. Just to prove to ourselves that it is really possible.

Dan

16. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Holy ****, 100MPG?!! That's the same MPG the plug-in Prius gets. I wish you guys luck! And... where are you guys doing this at?

Scott

17. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We will be in the Pittsburgh PA area. You are welcome to drop by. Contact me privately for more info.

18. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm skeptical about all this Enus envy mileage gloating......
    Photos are just way too easily doctored on the net!
    [​IMG]
    I'm all for getting great mileage but please........if this is so "attainable" by simply mapping out a good route....everyone would be doing it.

-there's gotta be more to this then meets the eye!

19. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I had a dime for each time I heard that "I'm skeptical" I would have at least a few dollars. I'm not sure what would be gained by doctoring photos or by lying about it.

The largest impact would be by choosing a good route, one where you trade 70MPH on the highway for 35MPH secondary routes. The problem is that most of the time it will take you longer to get where you are going. That alone is the reason why most would not do it. It takes patience to achieve high FE. No one here has said that it was easy. All that has been said in this thread is that it is possible.

Dan

20. tiffanyjoy

tiffanyjoy New Member

jeez, and i was all excited i finally hit 46mpg. my car has 1100 miles on it and mileage is steadily climbing. i hope for the days when 50mpg is normal.