1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Great XM Subscription Mystery - Solved!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Totmacher, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So in a prior thread there was massive confusion, some people only got 3 months, some people had it expired when they got the car, some people had no idea but knew it was still running and some people (like me) were told when they called sirrusXM that they had a 3 year pre paid subscription!

well I got a letter in the Mail today from SirriusXM stating that due to a glitch in the system, my 3 MONTHS free service had not expired but that it would now on September 25th. I purchased my car as part of the pre-order, So I have had over a year of free XM... BUT; that my 3 YEAR free subscription to SirrusXm Traffic, nav, blah blah blah (the data package) would nNOT be effected and would continue to be free...

So I'll bet what happened is The PiP Advanced was sold with 3 months free XM and 3 years free XM Data; but they accidently keyed the deal in as 3 years Full Access.

They do offer me in the letter a 25$/6 month subscription So basically 50$ a year and I get Data free for a few more years. if I recall the best deal is around 85$/year with no data so I'll jump on this.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Be careful - the $25 deal automatically converts to the full price after six months unless you call Sirius and cancel.

3. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine kept going after the 3 months, and they've been frantically trying to get me to pay them for something I'm already getting (and not using) for free. I'll keep listening to the 6000 songs on the iPod Classic in the center storage bin, supplemented by streaming music from Pandora One. If they ever manage to turn off the satellite music, I won't even notice it's gone.

KK6PD and rogerv like this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The key point to note here is that the XM data subscription on the Advanced is between Toyota and XM, not between you and XM. If you chose to renew the (three-year) data subscription, you go to the Toyota Entune site and pay them, not XM, and you contact Entune if there are any service issues.

On the other hand, the (three month complimentary) radio subscription is between you and XM, and you renew directly with XM if you chose. Toyota paid for the first three months, but is then no longer in the picture.

I went around and around with XM about the data subscription, and they insisted that there was no such thing as a three-year complimentary data package, and strongly implied that there was some sort of fraud going on. When I finally called Entune customer support, they clarified the relationship. The data subscription did not show up on my XM account, because I am not a party to that particular subscription; Toyota is!

Same with the Safety Connect cell phone in the Advanced. The service contract for the phone is between Toyota and Verizon Wireless, and you deal with Toyota for any issues with it, not Verizon Wireless.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See if you can use a temporary credit card number if/when you sign up with XM. Those buggers are tenacious.

ftl likes this.
  6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle

7. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I pay with my chase sapphire preferred card, when they played the price hike game on my wifes Prius IV months back; all it took was 5 minutes on Chase's web page and 2 days later we got a credit, then about 2 weeks later an apology letter from SirrusXM... I have a bet with my wife on if SirriusXM will do it again here in a few months or if they permanently fixed it in there computers.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I purchased a year I said I did not want auto-renewal. Got a confirmation saying exactly the opposite: that for my "convenience" it would auto-renew. Called them immediately, and they said "no problem, we'll mail you an invoice offering renewal, near the anniversary date". At around the 11 month mark got another email saying I didn't need to do anything, it was going to auto-renew. The ONE bit of luck: I'd had to replace my credit cards a few months earlier. So after a 10 minutes chat with a VERY persistent/oily phone rep., I was out of their clutches. I think...

We're actually in a limited freeby service right now: every so often we get an email saying for the next couple of weeks about 50 channels are unlocked. It's really the worst advertisement though: do not know if it's just our more northern location, but in the car we NEVER hear a song in it's entirety, any tree or tall building and the signal breaks up.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FTFM

ftl likes this.
  10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The best way to deal with merchants like this is to use a credit card that allows you to generate additional numbers that bill to your "real" number, but have their own credit limit and expiration date, and can be canceled any time without effecting your "real" number. Then let the merchant try to bill you: the charge will get rejected if you killed the supplemental number.

mrbigh likes this.
  11. Hi Burrito!

Hi Burrito! Regenerative Farting

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My solution was to ask them to send me an invoice. I then mailed payment with a personal check. No way they can charge any credit card for auto renew.

Having said that, I will call them a month before my annual subscription runs out. My decision to renew will depend on how I feel about the service 6 months from now and what kind of discount they might offer.

12. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sirius XM is old technology. I get everything Sirius XM offers and much more using my iPhone.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Right, through a data subscription plan the one most of the people have to pay for it.

14. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I cancelled the service shortly after getting the car. I had to wait on hold for a very long time, a half hour or so if I remember correctly. If you are a potential new order I'm sure they get to your call immediately. But the menu had a "cancel service" option and that's the one I chose. :mad: The agent argued with me for a bit, but finally gave in and allowed me to cancel. I did continue to get mail and email offers for several months before they finally gave up.
    I too prefer my music from my iPod. It gives me uninterrupted music with no ads, no chatter, and the selections are made by me- not some person or computer who/which thinks they know what I want to hear.

Ken Blake likes this.
  15. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Primarily I listen to music via my iPod (iPhone over bluetooth, actually). But I have the Sirius XM subscription because they play stuff I don't have, but like. Or expose me to new stuff. My wife absolutely loves the Broadway channel. The problem with Pandora and other streaming audio services is that I'm not always in an area with cell phone service, or the data network is overloaded.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Speaking of streaming music, we tried out RDdio, and wouldn't you know it: our data consumption blew past our limit in a blink, LOL. If they could fix their software, so you could only use it on wifi, and/or set realistic caps or get warnings, I think it would be more viable. If you're scaring off customers due to data overload, there's something wrong with the business model.

17. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would ignore the letter. It's like junk e-mail. Once you acknowledge it, they know you're there.

They're not going to turn anything off. And if they do, so what. I would not pay $1 per month for that service.

Additionally, the price they are quoting you does not include any "premium" shows like Howard Stern, et al. It's just the same canned music that you can easily replicate with an iPhone.

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I been saying this for years!
    Besides, if you don't like the playlist, you can change it yourself! Lately I have been taking my LP's and converting the into M4A files for my Ipod. I just add them, delete what I am tired of, and still I have about 35 GB of tunes!
    Adding tunes to a Ipod is so simple. I converted my entire CD collection into M4A years ago.
    Hell, even my Iphone has 38 GB of tunes! .....:cool:

19. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    since getting my first taste of xm in the pip, i'm hooked to cnbc, hln, cnn, comedy central and find myself surfing the music channels rather than switching over to FM. the xm data services is handy but very limited IMO.