1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Grim Truth About Getting Rich...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jun 20, 2005.

1. galtgulch

galtgulch New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Selfishness is all about being loyal to your own values. It means you are not a sacrificial animal and that means you have a right to your own life and respect that everyone you encounter has a right to his or her own life. Consequently all your dealings, business or personal, are by mutual consent without the initiation of force or fraud.

This is contrary to what many if not most of us are taught. Many are raised to believe that one should hold the interests of others above one's own.

I have met people who took that so seriously that they never allowed themselves to ask, "What do I want?" and so never discovered, or allowed themselves to think along those lines. They would have felt guilt if they began to think in that vein.

According to this philosophy the choice is up to you. If you choose to volunteer your labor that is your own business. Whether it is the moral thing to do can only be determined in the context of your own life and heirarchy of values.

One should never sacrifice a higher value for a lower one within your own value system.

Read Ayn Rand's first essay in The Virtue of Selfishness as the most explicit statement of her ethical system. the standard of morality according to Rand is Man's Life on Earth and your own life in particular. Her's is a philosophy for living on earth, unlike every other moral code which demands that you sacrifice yourself at every turn as the unattainable ideal.

Make up your own mind. Read Atlas Shrugged and ask yourself which world you would rather live in? Pass the torch!

2. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

I have read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead and I have made up my own mind.

3. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"100356)</div>
    Galaxee..yea it is hard to see it at 24... I noticed you are in the medical field..that generally will pay good... the advice is save early, later YOU will have the same story.. you just can't see it yet.