1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The hatch… and can the height of the opening be limited???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Robert564, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Raider

Raider New Member

If you have something like a limiting strap (dog leash) attached to the metal d-rings, and the other end attached to the hatch, then you could also use it to pull it down far enough to grab the spoiler to finish closing the rear hatch.

Probalby cheaper work around.

If you shorten the strut, will there be any clearance or closing issue with a shorter strut?

If you add the strap on the strut, it may flop around and open the weather seal allowing water to enter.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2007 Classic Silver Touring #6 @ Sep 8 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]508749[/snapback]</div>
    Don't use the spoiler to close the hatch, there is a handle molded into the inner liner to pull the hatch down and if you need to push it down as you close it push on the Toyota emblem as the spoiler is plastic and so are it's mounts, push on it repeatedly and it will most likely crack.

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also use the metal lock loop to pull the hatch down using index finger only, I've been doing that ever since I had my Honda Insight and never once have I picked up any grease on my finger. I'm about 6' tall but I just find it easy and convenient to grab the lock loop. Once the hatch is low enough I put the heel of my right hand over the Toyota emblem (fingers down, just like opening but be careful not to squeeze the handle when closing or it will try to open at the same time and it won't close) then I just give it a firm push down to close the hatch. Never had a problem that way.

As far as limiting the opening of the hatch I would say:
    -Least expensive: Use Darrell's string method as shown in the picture above. It appears that the string would just lay down in the 'drain' area outside the rubber seal so you might want to keep an eye on the string over time as rain might cause it to deteriorate, it would probably have to be replaced every few months to be sure it doesn't break sending your hatch slamming into the garage door.
    -Most expensive: buy shorter struts to replace existing ones.