1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The HATE Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

So are you saying WW2 vets should boycott japanese products because of their experiences .... ??

war is ugly... its is the repsonsibility of the everyone to work to put aside the prejudices and tragedies of the past, so that these things may not happen again...

Lets hope they dont like hamburgers and Rock'n'Roll in Hirsoshima/Nagasaki ...right ?? :(

Toyota was founded and is based in Japan. Like many other multi-nationals it is provider of employment and opportunity to thousands around the world, including here in Australia. Contributing to a nation in this manner should be recognised and applauded. Still I dont think people will ever think Toyota is a non Japanese entity :p

2. QED

QED New Member

Well, looks like lots of similar 'hates'.

Here's one of mine (although it seems that I am the only one on the planet that is bothered by this)....

It's one of the recently evolved idioms of newscasters, sportcasters, and talking heads. You know, the one where someone says something like, "This quarterback is having a good year, he's like a Joe Montana "

My response...a Joe Montana? . what the hell are you talking about? Exactly what aspect of Joe Montana's athletic skills are you referring to? Or are you talking about his records? Are you suggesting we need a of clone him? Are you talking in code?

That is shallow thinking and lazy, imprecise speech. Somehow we are expected to know exactly what they are talking about. Maybe you can guess by the context. But hey, broadcasters, form a thought and just say what the hell it is that you mean!

The worse part is, it's elitist and condescending. Basically, you are expected to be part of the club to understand. Essentially they are talking in code, and if you do not understand it, too bad!

I really hate it! Not exactly sure why. But I sure am sorry that it has worked its way into the English vernacular.

* * * End of rant

Oh yea, also bothered by the overuse of the phrase "as well" in the broadcast media. Weather people and the CNBC folks are particular vulnerable to this lazy speech pattern.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But is it OK for them, in your eyes, to drive Volkswagens, BMWs, Mercedes Benzes and Audis?

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hate it when political operatives are purposely deceptive when it comes to “informing†the public - knowing full well that the average person will not do their own fact finding, and just accept what is being said as truth and reality.

From the subject “news itemâ€:
    The lengthy piece of legislation would let police arrest people in public places who will not give their names, address and birth dates, even if they are not doing anything wrong.
    WEWS reported it would also pave the way for everyone entering critical transportation sites such as, train stations, airports and bus stations to show ID.
    "It brings us frighteningly close to a show me your papers society," said Carrie Davis of the ACLU, which opposes the Ohio Patriot Act.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/wews/3133362

From the legislation itself:
    Sec. 2909.31. (A) No person entering an airport, train station, port, or other similar critical transportation infrastructure site shall refuse to show identification when requested by a law enforcement officer when there is a threat to security and the law enforcement officer is requiring identification of all persons entering the site.
    (B ) A law enforcement officer may prevent any person who refuses to show identification when asked under the circumstances described in division (A) of this section from entering the critical transportation infrastructure site.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=126_SB_9

Nowhere in the bill do I see where is says the "police can arrest" . . . but they can prevent someone refusing to show ID from entering.

This isn’t a roving-bands-of-gestapo-willy-nilly-making-people-disappear-off-the-streets legislation . . . “critical transportation infrastructure site†“when there is a threat to security.â€

Nor is this racist legislation . . . “requiring identification of all persons entering the site.â€

Have you tried to enter a Federal Courthouse (or other Federal building) lately?
    Not only do they require you show ID, they also run you through a metal detector. Are they impinging on your civil rights, or are they protecting everyone’s security?

“Everything else pales in comparison.â€
    ??? I don’t think so.
    Ever notice how ignorance, fear and hate go hand in hand in hand?

5. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see "police can arrest", but I do see a section that makes it a crime for a person to refuse to give one's name, address, and date of birth under certain circumstances, even when that person isn't suspected of doing anything wrong. The following is from the link to the legislation that you provided, but the bolding is mine.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wee Willie's song!!! Only I remember it as:

"Nobody likes me,
    everybody hates me,
    guess I'll go eat some wor-r-rms:
    Big fat slimy ones,
    tiny little grimy ones,
    ooey, gooey, slimy, grimy worms!"

I hate politicians. And judges. And prison guards.
    I hate small yappy dogs. They should all be hanged.
    And large vicious dogs.
    But most of all, a point of agreement with Mystery Squid in his original post: I hate mayonaise! Always have, always will. Mayonaise should be outlawed, and the people who manufacture and sell it should be imprisoned for life. No three strikes: One strike and you're out! We need a war on mayonaise. And a double life sentence for anyone using mayonaise while in possession of a gun.

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

uhhh....yeah, right.

Would it make you dry heave if I told you I eat it plain, right of out the jar?...sometimes warm? :eek:

Oh, and I forgot to add something important to my dislikes: cats - every one of those dirty, nasty things.

8. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or it's OK to buy a Dodge even though it's made in Mexico or Canada?

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Actually, I have thrown up just from smelling mayonnaise.

Hey Daniel, isn't it just fu'ed up? Who the HELL thought, "Hmm, let's see, let me see what I can do with eggs, vinegar, and oil...."

BOLLICKS!

F'd in the head if you ask me...

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

"shudder"...
    vibrate...
    gyrate...

:eek:

:lol:

11. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is usually a connection when a new meaning arises but eventually becomes disjoint for all but those who care to look it up. How many meanings of fag do you think there are and what is they're connections? If you think queer has always been a pejorative you must be a pretty young parent. Boy, now I feel old.

12. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sufferin' Prius Envy:

The point to what I shared was simply this:

We are seeing our constitutional rights being slowly taken away.

When we see a government who invented virtual weapons of mass destruction as justification to enter a war with another country and then we are led to believe there are organized bands of terrorists world wide who have the ability to take this entire country down..... I suggest to you that has not been proven either. Where is this proof?

From history, we should have learned that if you provide a big enough lie to the masses the lie will begin to become accepted as truth.

In the past we have always had violent people perform some pretty nasty things. The same is true today and no doubt will be into the future. But I challenge you to tell me terrorists have the ability to take this whole country apart. Small groups have always had the ability to do harm. But to instill fear, to the extent this government has, as justification to remove hard earned freedoms? Maybe we do not deserve them if all we can do is blindly accept these concepts as the truth.

You can pick apart what was said by the media but the main thrust of my earlier statement I believe stands on its merits. Watch how often you are told what to fear and how the government will protect you from that fear. So, they define both what you should fear and how good they are in protecting you from that fear? Oh how easily we give up these rights we have earned, in the name of safety from these virtual fears.

Gosh, that is exactly what I hate. Wake up. PLEASE.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

AMEN!!!!!! Notice how people hear what someone else says and then quotes it without a little fact checking? I understand that we all can't research everything...but for goodness sake, if you do, then know of what you are speaking.

Of course, you are excused from that if you just put "IMO" or JMHO" in there...IMO

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Uh...Hello...you didn't need the Patriot act for that...it has been a law in Ohio for years....BTW...what is wrong with that law?????

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Beltway sniper????????? Oh..I agree...WAKE UP...please!

16. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Schmika:

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The founders of this country came here precisely to escape from the sort of arbitrary authority and abuse of power that our present government claims the law gives it.

Arrest without warrant: G.W.B. claims that if he accuses you of "terrorism" then you can be picked up off the street anywhere in the world and sent to a U.S. prison anywhere else in the world.

Denial of due process: G.W.B. claims that if he accuses you of "terrorism" then you lose your right to argue before a judge and jury that you are innocent.

Torture: G.W.B. claims that if he accuses you of "terrorism" then his interrogators may use methods that are otherwise illegal under both international and U.S. law. He claims these methods are not torture, but Amnesty International and other human rights organizations say they are.

In short, G.W.B. claims that if he accuses you of "terrorism" then all your constitutional protections fly out the window. Just at present, he is using these unconstitutional and illegal methods mostly against Muslims, and mostly against people who are citizens of countries other than the U.S.A. So most Americans feel it's a small price to pay for "security." It's so very easy to give up other people's rights.

Rev Niemuller (I probably spelled that wrong) said something roughly along these lines:

"First they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I said nothing. Then they came for the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Gypsies, but I was not a Gypsy, so I said nothing. When they came for me, there was nobody left to speak out for me."

We must speak out against abuses of human rights and denial of constitutional civil and legal rights, or there'll be nobody left to speak out when they come for us. Abusive, power-hungry governments, from Hitler to Stalin, do not leave people alone just because those people have waived their flags like good little patriots.

"Terrorism" is a very convenient excuse for the neo-cons to strengthen and consolidate their power in ways that do not diminish terrorism, but do diminish the liberty of the citizenry.

Bush is a far cry from Hitler or Stalin, and I don't think it will ever get that far in the U.S. But this is the kind of arbitrary power that starts that kind of slide into repression. And the REASON I don't think it will go that far in the U.S. is because I think Americans value our freedom too much to remain silent. We WILL speak out. We will NOT be silenced by the flag-wavers. We will NOT let our power-hungry megalomaniac leaders get away with torture or kidnapping or imprisoning people without due process.

But speaking out is a job for all of us. We must not remain silent, or my optimistic predictions will be wrong and we'll end up as terrorized by our own government as were the people of the Soviet Union.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hate it when people ignore reality.

So, I’m guessing Three60guy thinks these events never happened:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.kdp.pp.se/bad0080.jpg
    Chemical massacre of the Kurds by the Iraqi regime. Halabja-March 1988
    Inconceivable that Saddam could have still had chemical weapons?
    http://www.kdp.pp.se/chemical

[Broken External Image]:http://multigraphic.dk/lounge/weblog/images/uploads/madrid-bombing-01.jpg
    10 bombs, three Madrid train stations, 11 March, 2004.
    A suspect in the Madrid train bombings last year had a sketch of New York City's Grand Central Terminal
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-03...-nyc-plot_x.htm

[Broken External Image]:http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2001-09/640034.jpg
    World Trade Center, 9/11
    No links necessary for this one - that is, unless you think this was just a CIA/Hollywood stunt to make people think the building were destroyed . . . and are now being hidden behind a cloaking device and are being used as the neo-con’s World Domination Center.

So Three60guy, did the Holocaust also not happen?
    Yeah, you’re right . . . the concept of organized bands of terrorists scattered throughout the world is just ludicrous. :rolleyes:

19. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sufferin' Prius Envy:

Of course those things you shared happened. But please understand what I said:

"In the past we have always had violent people perform some pretty nasty things. The same is true today and no doubt will be into the future." I agree with you!!

What I asked you to prove was this:

"But I challenge you to tell me terrorists have the ability to take this whole country apart."

Prove to me they are organized as you claim they are. That they are one organized band of people hell bent on the entire destruction of this country as our government says they are. To justify the amount of fear our government has inflicted on our citizens. To justify the reorganization of the government with Homeland Security. Where is that proof? Hasn't it occurred to you that our government has done as much, if not more damage to create fear within our own? Gee, isn't that what the terrorists said they wanted to do in the first place? Isn't the goal of terrorism, fear?

As your own comments indicate, these acts are committed all over this planet. They are NOT focused on this country. If, as our government has said that these "terrorists" are out to get us then why are they also getting the others you showed in pictures above, as well? If the United States of America is the enemy then why do they attack Russia, Spain or even Malaysia?

If our country was the only one singled out AND there was some indication there were multiple bands of focused interest in just us then you would have a case. However, this is not what we are seeing. They are scattered, with merely the teachings of a totally distorted religion to hold them together somehow.

I honestly appreciate your passion. I just believe, with everything within me, that the government of the US currently is again deceiving us into believing something that again does not exist. And to use this as an excuse to create fear within our citizens. With a population of fear and uninformed citizens we could so easily lose our freedoms. Therefore, I can not take at face value what this government claims.

I whole heartedly agree with daniel above. History will repeat itself if we are not careful. I wonder why you did not appreciate his comments as well.

I have hope in a new election. By then I think it will be very clear what needs to be done. Personally, I am an independent. I have voted both republican and democrat. So, let's not go down that path, ok?

Again, I love this country. And it is clear you do too. I have clearly shown what I hate. But it certainly is not you Sufferin' Prius Envy. We just do not appear to agree on this issue.

I just hope we can agreeably disagree and let the others decide what would be in the best long term interest of our country.

Thanks for taking the time to read and understand.

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

YES !!

Can we make this post a sticky ?