1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The head of the Air Resources Board on her beloved Mirai

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 11, 2016.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Mary Nichols Shares the Joys of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Ride

Nichols, one of our state government’s most prominent environmental leaders, has been named as one of Time’s 100 most influential people in the world for being a fierce champion of the cutting-edge technology and environmental regulations that have now been adopted by California, the U.S. and beyond.

L.A. Driver: What made you want to purchase a fuel cell vehicle?
    Nichols: Someone told me I should put my money where my mouth is. This isn’t my first clean vehicle, as I also own a Honda FIT electric vehicle that I love. But it is certainly the most luxurious car I’ve ever owned. I really appreciate the sense of comfort I feel when I drive the car, the impressive safety features and I really love the color — maritime blue. That makes me happy.

What is it like to drive the Mirai?
    It’s fun. I’m consistently getting 300 miles or more every time I refuel. There’s a great electronic dashboard that gives me all kinds of information about how I’m driving, including tailored feedback to encourage driving habits that will optimize fuel efficiency. I must say I never really thought of myself as having a lead foot, but when I first started driving the Mirai, I would get an efficiency score of just 19 or 20. But with some basic adjustments to my driving habits, now I regularly get scores of 50 or 60.

What’s it like fueling up the Mirai?
    The first time I tried it on my own, I have to admit that I had a little difficulty. Even though I was trained the first time I fueled up, I guess I wasn’t paying full attention, so when I returned on my own, I had to call the toll-free number listed on the dispenser. They can monitor the station in real time and the operator was able to detect that I hadn’t properly sealed the nozzle. They talked me through what I needed to do and a few minutes later, I was all fueled up.

Who trained you to fuel the vehicle and was that part of the purchasing experience?
    I can’t say enough good things about my salesman Eddie Fuentes (with LAcarGUY’s Toyota of Santa Monica). Toyota is so dedicated to these vehicles and they’re determined to make this a success. They’ve done an amazing job of training their sales staff to understand and promote FCEV technology. Unlike many of my other experiences with car dealers, Eddie continues to follow up with me to make sure that my Mirai experience, which includes free fuel, is positive.

Why would you recommend someone consider buying a fuel cell vehicle?
    As you can imagine, I’m a fan of all zero emission vehicles. While many electric vehicles are great for most driving needs — and they’re getting more affordable and better range all the time — sometimes you need a vehicle that has more range. Occasionally I have to travel to El Monte or Riverside and it’s perfect for that. I would caution any prospective drivers that there are only a few local fueling stations open right now, but by the end of the year there will be close to 50 stations operating. I’m thinking about testing out the fueling network by driving my Mirai to Sacramento.

- See more at: Mary Nichols Shares the Joys of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Ride - Los Angeles Magazine

Sergiospl likes this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait till the plug-in anti fuel cell crowd see this thread! :)

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those that already have put their money where their mouth is? ;)

PriusC_Commuter and Sergiospl like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...she's not OldnSlow, Mirai owner on PriusChat right? No that's Mark unless he is under cover.

I'd like to know her reaction to intense anti-FCV sentiment on here and in CA.

#4 wjtracy, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    OldNSlow likes this.
  5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    what a sad waste of resources.

wow. one person likes the limitations. I'm gonna say all those Tesla owners are impressed (not!).

Good luck. FCEVs are going to need it. Plus a pile of cash from EVERYONE.

Why are we supporting this nonsense?

March 31st can't get here soon enough.

Ashlem likes this.
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because you don't get it. There are many others where FCV is a better choice.

OldNSlow, dbcassidy and mmmodem like this.
  7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    yeah THAT must be it

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also for Mary. She had Fit EV before the Mirai.

She would be the qualified person to know the plus and minues of each technology.

On the other hand, you are EV bias.

dbcassidy likes this.
  9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What a flim-flammer and public funding fleecer. Like so many other bureaucrats (elected and otherwise), she has no shame.

March 31st, fella. Can't wait for this garbage FCEV movement to fade into the sunset.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mark still has a PiP and he posted pics with it next to his Mirai. So, there is no way, I think.

OldNSlow likes this.
  11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I refuse to waste resources on a stupid technology that will NEVER pass the physics test. a better way to power our cars is here already and it doesn't involve pressurized tanks full of fossil fuel based hydrogen. it is a JOKE to think otherwise. Really? this is what we have figured out? Why don't we add 3 of 4 more steps to the whole car/fuel system, call it green even though it takes 3 times the energy to travel similar miles than just using a battery? Who thinks up this crap? and then has the tax payer pony up for fuel stations?

It is maddening to think this can go on for very long.

PriusC_Commuter, Ashlem and vinnie97 like this.
  12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Truth about Tesla Motors | The Beacon

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  13. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh. Not going to read your anti-EV propaganda. A tax credit means the govt. has that much less money to waste, and let me tell you, there is no end in sight to the ridiculous things public monies go to (arguably $1 billion alone last year). Promotion of a fossil fuel alternative is not ridiculous in the slightest. And if you're going to bellyache about subsides to this one industry, you have to bellyache about them to the oil industry and the H2 freaks also. Otherwise you are pissing into an oncoming whirlwind.

#13 vinnie97, Mar 11, 2016
    finman likes this.
  14. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Have they built any more fuel stations in the last few months or are they all still within the confines of the Counties of L.A., Orange and San Diego??

Yeah, the Mirai ain't a 1%'ers car...:rolleyes::censored:

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because you are not just using battery. You are using fossil grid as your electricity storage (net metering) to charge your EV. You can continue to do whatever you think you are doing in Musk illusion.

There are others that value 3-5 mins refuel that gives 300+ miles range and not change your life style around a plugged car. Let them do what they want and respect their choice.
    So that we are clear, I am not anti-EV. I love my plugin and think it is the best car for me. I also respect those that have BEVs and made it work for them. I am a niche owner since I have a garage and driveway to charge and willingly to do so with my grid connected pv system.

However, for the mass market adoption, FCV has the best chance to replace gas cars and hydrogen can be fossil fuel independent, just like electricity but without battery limitations.

There are cases where BEV is better than FCV so I am not dismissing it. PHEV can relief BEV limitations but also comes with legacy combustion fossil emission and maintenance but there is a niche market so I am not dismissing.

All I am saying is, don't dismiss FCV. My way of explaining it is by stating good things about FCV and how it is addressing battery limitations.

Don't mistake that with me being anti-EV.

#15 usbseawolf2000, Mar 11, 2016
    dbcassidy likes this.
  16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    AND YOU ARE LIKEWISE USING THE GRID TO FUEL YOUR FCEV IN THE FORM OF NATURAL GAS PRODUCTION (emphasized since you ignore this every. single. time.), along with all the energy expenditure to get it to the (mostly nonexistent) fueling stations.

Ashlem and finman like this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, gas pipeline grid but you don't have to use NG to produce hydrogen.

The biggest source of electricity in US is also natural gas so EVs are using both electrical and gas grids. Think of the cost of maintaing those infrastructures and include them to calculate EV cost.

Just like electricity, hydrogen can be produced from sun light. I don't get what's the hung up here.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    without the likes of mary nichols, there would be little to no ev sales. i think she has a clue.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

marK vs. marY very suspicious

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The $20k for the ZEV credits of a model S sounds high, perhaps they meant total profit from each sale.

If that is the value of the ZEV credits alone, then the Mirai is netting Toyota $45k.

Has for the main point, yes, Tesla is taking advantage of government programs. So is Toyota, GM, Nissan, and all the rest.

He is referring to the fact that electricity is used in the production, storage, transportation, and dispensing of hydrogen. So, whatever accounting that you think needs to apply to plug in's electric use needs to also apply to hydrogen's. There simply no honest way the ignore that hydrogen requires electric grid power and plug ins needs it.

Ashlem, Zythryn and vinnie97 like this.