1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Hydrogen-Oil Company Connection

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That'll take a LOT of capacitors. Capacitors are notorious for having extremely limited capacity, but very high discharge rates

Supercapacitors... on the other hand... improve upon the capacity... but they're brain-dead expensive.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "a decade or more"? Reminds me of the decades it would take to build all the cell phone infrastructure or the decades it would take to put in all the high bandwidth necessary for everyone to have broadband internet.

Why would their business plan be structured to ignore supply and demand? I've never seen a multi-billion dollar market go unserviced for so long.

3. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The issue is that they are only a single start-up company, and they are aiming to remain privately owned, so there is no potential for growth or investment from cash injection from stockmarket listing and selling shares.

To meet global demand for solar at $1 per watt would require building thousands of massive factories worldwide. With their current finances, they can only manage to build two factories.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If their technology is truely that good, then there would be plenty of investors that would invest privately. They would have to turn away the money or licensing offers available.

If they are planning on lawyers protecting their patents for decades.....not going to work.

Much more likely is that they are maximizing the present investment......which occurs once volume sales starts.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Again, it's more efficient if we decentralise power production and get the majority of commuter cars onto pure electric operation. Consider two makers of *very* large industrial engines: Wartsila of Finland, and Waukesha (Dresser) of Wisconsin

These are enormous engines, typically V-16 and weighing +30 tons. They are built to last, and offer per cylinder spark and fuel monitoring/control. Exhaust catalyst treatment is standard on most motors. As they are professionally maintained and monitored, the efficiency and emissions performance can be kept uniform

Running on natural gas, minimum efficiencies are 40%, with co-generation (A no brainer for most urban areas and industrial locations) the efficiency leaps to +80%

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as an addict who has been addicted to substances in my past, i can easily understand why so many doubt the BEV options... so i am not here to put down those opinions. i know that when faced with the conflict of addition, logic is sometimes not an easy thing to come by.

i question one's need to get 500 miles range on a charge... now if we had to get dressed, drive to the corner, wait in line to pay, wait in line to charge, etc... i would be upset if i had to do it every other day or even every day as the 100-150 range would suggest.

now, i go thru the "hassle" of charging my BEV daily... WHAT A PAIN!!

i mean, EVERY DAY, sometimes 2-3 times a day, i have to walk CLEAR OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GARAGE@!!!.... just to plug in...

you all should be thanking me for my sacrifice. all the extra time i put in just to save the environment (and me a LOT of money)

so i can easily see how only having a range that would only last 1-2 days would be inconvenient.

of course, there will be times that we would want to go on a long drive...say 500 miles... now the range would only last 2 hours of driving, forcing us to stop to charge somewhere... battery switching... ya right... cmon... how is that going to work...

lets see here... only $20 for the electricity... another $250 because the battery you are exchanging is worn out, not as good as the one you are getting... ya right... forget it. not gonna happen.

now, charging up... hmmm. 15 minutes. well now aint that inconvenient!!

been on several long car trips (military brat here) and i remember us stopping and most of the time spending a minimum 30 minutes stopped anyway... three kids to the bathroom, cleaning out what was spilled on the last 3 hour leg of driving, etc... so those stops were MUCH longer than 15 minutes and WELCOMED!!

but that would not do for some...ones who feel that the world owes them something. well... for those. we will still have gas stations ....just put down your $200, fillup and drive 3 hours to the next station and put down $200 more....

now we talk about solar and how it can only be effective in parts of the country... can t be transported great distances, etc.

well, we all know that is BULL. but its too easy to nitpick things we dont fully understand or agree with... ya know how it is, its easy to make fun of the new kid because you dont know him, have not shared experiences with him, etc...

one of the leading solar energy countries in the world in sun-ladened Germany... knowing that, i can say that solar power will work in the Pacific Northwest, since Germany gets the same amount of solar radiation annually as Seattle WA....