1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The "Infamous" Breaking Gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But we are not comparing engine braking to mechanical braking. We are comparing engine braking to regen braking.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is simply not true. I understand the thinking that goes into this line of argument, but it is faulty. From a friction and control standpoint, there is absolutely no difference between ordinary regenerative braking and B mode braking. Both work only through the front drive wheels, and both work through regeneration. The difference is only in the use of the regenerated energy. In B mode some of it is discarded as heat through air pumping, while in normal regeneration it is used to charge the battery.

Both B mode and normal regeneration suffer from using only the drive wheels. This is done through a differential, so loss of traction from a single front wheel means loss of braking.

Friction braking, on the other hand, independently brakes all four wheels. Loss of traction at any one wheel still leaves the other three braking. In addition, the friction braking system has ABS, which will help maintain directional control. This is why the Prius falls back to friction braking when traction is lost.

Tom

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree that if there was an easy way for cyberprius (she started this thread) to use dedicated friction braking, it would give her 4 wheel brakes, (at the loss of some energy) which would increase her safety. Given the steepness of her descent, I bet she is getting substantial friction braking, no matter what strategy she chooses.