1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The iPhone poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stev0, Jul 5, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, I already have one.

100.0%
  2. I'll get one as soon as I save up the money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'll get one when they get the bugs out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'll get one when they're more available.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'd like one, but can't afford it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I can't afford it, but wouldn't get one even if I could.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I can afford it, but still think it's overpriced so I won't get one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I can afford it, but just don't want one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. What's an iPhone?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 6 2007, 02:31 AM) [snapback]473878[/snapback]</div>
    This is my issue too. There are a lot of cell phones on the market that do much of what the iPhone does. My current phone plays music, surfs the Internet, stores appointment information, takes pictures, does text messaging, makes phone calls, and is a lot smaller than an iPhone. You know what I use it for? I play music and make an occasional phone call. I like email and text messaging, but I don't do them on my cell phone, and it's not because of the phone. It's because of the cell phone service provider. I hate the way they structure pricing. They meter everything and nickle and dime you to death. They charge for every text message in and every message out, plus a data charge if you attach a photo. Internet access is charged by the byte. I can pay more and get some "free" text messages and data, but it's still metered. Or I can pay a lot more for an unlimited plan. The price is way beyond reason.

If my ISP charged this way it would bother me too. One of the things I like about the Internet is that I pay for a certain amount of bandwidth, and what I do with it is my business. I can send email or read PC, it's all the same to the ISP. Once they start charging for individual items, then I have to think about whether it's worth it or not, and that sucks out the fun. There is absolutely no reason I should have to spend more for sending a text message than talking on the cell phone. They are just plain gouging.

AT&T's service plans for the iPhone are not as bad as some, but they don't offer coverage in my area, plus they have a bad reputation. We need another round or two before the business end of cell phones catches up with the technology.

Tom

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Jul 9 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]475427[/snapback]</div>
    You can certainly count me in as a jaded cell phone user.

My ideal phone would have all these features:

1. Can make phone calls
    2. Can receive phone calls
    3. Can store phone numbers

Everything else is extra crap which I don't want and certainly won't use. Yeah, I know they have those ten-bucks-a-month cell phones for Old People, but as far as I know they can't store numbers which is one feature I actually do use since I can't remember phone numbers.

3. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much are AT&T's monthly service plans for the iPhone?

I think the Web features and user interface are probably what I'd find most attractive. I canceled my Mobile Web account with Verizon because the interface on my little phone's screen sucks, and it's almost an impossible ordeal to go to a Website that's not one of their standard menu items.

However, I'm not getting an iPhone any time soon since I still have a long time on my Verizon contract and am happy with the phone service. I'll just wait until they come out with something for Verizon.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 6 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]474068[/snapback]</div>
    I had an old Nokia 3600 that I'd been using for 3-4 years which would shut itself off every other time I made or received a call. The phone itself was virtually indestructible, but losing calls like that really bugged me. I have a good digital camera. No iPod. No Palm PDA. No laptop. I was due for a new cell phone anyway and was already tied in w/AT&T (hubby worked for them until very recently)...so I had to splurge and treat myself to an iPhone, same as I did with the Prius. And I am very happy with both of them.

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Had the phone since the first Sunday. Didn't pay extra, didn't wait in line. I wasn't going to get the phone until I could use it with T-Mobile (who I like very much, thank you very much) but on Saturday my Crackberry got run over! Convenient I know, but still un-planned.

This phone represnts a quanum leap, not in features, but with interaction. The biggest complaint pople have is new technology is dificult to use, and I've always asked Why? and never have received a satifactory answer, usually just "it would be harder for us to develop a product easy for you to use! The iPhone is the simplest interface that alwows easy use of a wide array of relatively complex features. (yes this was a miserable sentence)

It has some things missing, but unlike almost all other phones, everything can be changed or added to this phone with a software upgrade!

Such as:
    1. Being able to run AND edit MS Office apps (word, excel, ppt)
    2. GPS (through tower triangulation, not true GPS however)
    3. Movies. I bet the camera on the back can be programmed to take movies. They probably won't look good except out in bright sunlight though.

Things that can't be fixed with software, but hopefully in the next phone:
    1. Better camera w movies
    2. Real GPS
    3. BIGGER Hard drive! (yes flash memory, now but later super micro drive!) duh! (I bet we see a 20 gig in a year then 40 and then 80 gig in about three years, just the way apple milked the iPod!)

Anyway, Love the phone, Actually glad ATT took over Cingular, I liked ATT in the past and hope that they are not going to pick up bad Cingualr habits. Anyway, just glad it wasn't Sprint, they suck something fierce!!! But I'll probably go back to T-Mobile if they get the iPhone in a couple of years.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jul 13 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]478395[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't you the guy who paid $6,000 over MSRP for your Prius?

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 13 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]478464[/snapback]</div>
    No, that was me.

(Really, it was, and was worth every extra penny)

And I did not have to wait in line for my iPhone.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 14 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]478546[/snapback]</div>
    There must have been two of you. I distinctly remember DA writing that he paid $6K over MSRP at Carson Toyota.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The iphone is one gadget I don't have! I have 3 kids, and a SO all on Verizon, so the ability to yak on the cheep in the network is keeping me back from an iPhone. HOWEVER, I heard that some people are buying the iPhone and NOT getting the ATT service, hacking the phone somehow so they can use it as a mobile computer device in WiFi areas B)

Has anybody done this? Please post!

10. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, I aid $3,000.00 over sticker, but got more favorable financing that they weren't offering without the 3k up front payment, and in the long run will end up paying less.

But why does that matter I didn't wait in line for the iPhone AND didn't pay extra, good Apple, questionable Toyota for not clamping down on their dealers from gouging the consumer. Apple could easily have charged more up front (eventhough the thing is pretty expensive now) but they were shooting for the widest dispursal.

11. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just tried the internet on an Iphone at the Apple store .Its excrutiatingly slow.I recommend waiting for EVDO.I'll stick with my Treo.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jul 16 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]479694[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, my total finance charges on a 4.19%, five years loan with zero down were just a smidgen over $3K. No, I did not pay over MSRP, however, I did wait eleven months on the waiting list for my choice of package and color.

13. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Jul 16 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]479797[/snapback]</div>
    It's sad, but the Apple stores have slow Wi-Fi. I would suppose it's all the computers in there using it. But stick with your Treo.

I had one once, and gave it away. Waste of my money, but if it works for you (slow internet, crappy Verizon for me), then more power to you.