1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Kia Optima

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Godiva, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just saw a commercial for the Kia Optima. Second time. They are stressing two things.

Cost and economy.

It gets 'up to' 36 miles per gallon and starts under $16,000.

There's a "Dr. Zoom" commecial right now that is stressing the 'up to' miles per gallon and "clean diesel" (which I don't believe is available in California). And "employee pricing is back".

Is it just me or does it seem like the Prius is having an impact on how other manufacturers are choosing to advertise their cars? And I notice the Nissan Maxima is advertising their CVT transmission; "No shift shock."

Now it's miles per gallon, clean air or low price or any combination.

Except for those stupid Hummer commercials. "Get your girl on"? You've got to be kidding.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 25 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]292421[/snapback]</div>
    Up to 36 mpg? On http://www.kia.com/06optima/optima-specs.php, it says 24/34 at best. It's not just Kia. though. I've seen a lot of manufacturers including Toyota and GM emphasizing up to __ highway miles. I wouldn't say it's so much the Prius itself but rather high gas prices and the car companies wanting to get a message out and make it seem like the gas mileage of their cars isn't so bad.

As for Nissan, if you notice w/their recent Quest and Maxima commercials, they've been trying to emphasize certain features, some of which make their cars unique (or unique in their class) such as the Skyview roof of the Quest, the iPod (generic music player) input or the CVT. How many medium sized non-hybrid passenger cars have CVTs? How many competitors in the same car class as that Maxima have a CVT? Not many... Without the commercial, would you have known that the Maxima has a CVT at all? It didn't until the 07 model year.

BTW, Nissan has had a CVT available on the Murano for awhile and now has got it on the Versa.... Interestingly, I noticed w/the 07 Max, they ditched regular automatics and the manual completely. It's CVT only. On a side note, AFAIK, the 1st car vehicle in the US w/CVT was the Subaru Justy.

FWIW, Car and Driver got 24 mpg on the 4 cylinder Optima http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests...a-ex-page2.html and 42 on the Prius http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/7701...rius-page4.html.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe it wasn't 36. I could have misremembered.

I just feel that because of, yes, the high price of gas and the publicity of hybrids, mostly the Prius, commercials are now: We're cheaper than a Prius, we almost get the same mileage as a Prius (providing they quote their own epa mpg and use consumer reports Prius mpg), we're almost as clean (providing ditto), etc.

Of course, not all.

There are a few that are still doing the 0-60, horsepower stuff. But then that's 'corvette' marketing to the 'corvette' crowd.

But I think for the makes and models for the "Prius market" crowd, there is pressure to try to make their car competitive and more attractive than that really expensive Prius (and ours is almost as good and cheaper).

Ah, here's another one. They call theirs "intelligent key technology" where the car recognizes you when you touch the handle. There is still a key in the ignition that you turn, though. They do have "seats that hug you." Nissan Maxima again.

Now, put HSD in a Maxima and then we'll talk.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]292457[/snapback]</div>
    Again, how many cars in that segment have smart keys? It's not like it first appeared on the Prius either.

I haven't sat in an 07 Max (used to own at 02) so I can't comment on how much the seats hug you. My Z along w/some sports cars have very deeply bolstered seats to hold you in place.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree, I've seen all those commercials....... One thing I havn't seen are any Prius commercials!! I've seen the Camry hybrid commercials , but still no Prius!! B) B)

6. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]292421[/snapback]</div>

I had a kia optima for 3 weeks as a rental..
    It was not the new version but a early 2006.
    I got between 31 and 35 mpg.. mostly highway mileage.
    Not bad considering.
    So 36 don't not sound out of the relm of possibilities..

Still missed the prius.. would have gotten between 50-55 mpg.. so still no comparison in my eyes.. :D

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jul 26 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]292488[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not surprised that there aren't many (or any?) Prius commercials. What's the point of spending money to advertise something that already has a higher demand than you can supply?

8. bowhunter

bowhunter New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If my prius gas mileage ever went down to 36 mpg I would be looking for something to be very wrong.I just got back from a trip to Missouri with the prius packed with as much equipment that I could fit in it(hunting trip).Even with that load and two 240 lb.men I still averaged well over 44mpg.I did notice that the mileage went down in Missouri and Illinois. Do you think they put more ethanol in the gas out there?

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Liars figure and figures lie.

Kia are setting themselves up for lawsuits, as the latest brochure a friend presented to me quoted the mileage attained in that trip done around the US and posted about here. There is -no way- any normal driver will see that. Notice how Toyota is careful to only report EPA mileage in the US or Govt. of Canada mileage in Canada? There is a reason for being careful.

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's because there is absolutely no reason for Toyota to spend money advertising something that is selling so well. The Prius sells itself.

11. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We drove the Kia Optima Hybrid at the San Diego auto show. Impressively equipped for the money. Totally loaded in the 32k range with the long warranty. Drove ok but no way of knowing real world mileage. Definite competition for the Camry.

12. ostrich

ostrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I rented one of these as an insurance replacement while my 2005 prius was in the shop... It wasn't at all bad. I didn't think to reset the average mileage until I had been driving it for a day... Whoever had it before me did _not_ drive it with efficiency in mind. After that it averaged about 39 mpg with a mix of freeway and surface streets in my 12 mile commute. Definitely not in the same class as my prius. It is a bit longer and heavier than a prius though, for a car this size 39 mpg might be pretty good, I have no idea. Very smooth ride, I attributed that to the long wheelbase.

13. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The backseat legroom is amazing, limo like.