1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The last thing I said to the guy when he bought my 02 . . .Keys

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When he bought my 02, back in early May, I only had one key. I made a special, emphatic suggestion that he needed to go to ACE an have spare made. I had two keys when I got the car, but I haven't seen my spare since much earlier this year. At the time, I told him that they are programmed keys and can't be duplicated if you don't have an original or a copy.

Well, guess what? Yeah, he called me this afternoon to see if I had a spare key for it. He LOST his key! He thinks that all he has to do is call a locksmith. Sh**! I haven't seen that set of keys since at least March. I'm searching, but it hasn't shown up yet.

The moral of this story is "Spend the $60 and have more than one key!" If you wait until you lose your only copy, you will have heartache by the numbers (and hassle, too.)

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Definitely an expensive lesson:(.

But one that could have been avoided had the voice of experience been taken seriously;).

Good luck on the helpful Easter egg hunt(y).

3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked to him today, he found his keys. Hopefully he'll take my words seriously now. Get a spare key, ACE can make them. They are $60!

Talked to 3prongpaul too, he still has immobilizers with keys. Very reasonable price for one. And except for replacing the immobilizer behind the upper part of the dash, it's a cheap easy solution. Thanks Paul!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ace can make a key that will start the car for $60 or is that just for a regular key?

5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They can make a key that will start the car. They have a machine that can program RFID chips--you need to have a working key for them to do this.

WHCSC likes this.
  6. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had an interesting occurrence. When my Walmart tire guy went to get the vehicle information from my car, he left without my keys.... I followed him to see where the heck he was going because I thought it was odd that he left me standing there at the counter dumbfounded with my car keys in my hands. I watched him and he opened up the car door. I had left the car door locked. And I said to him “What are you doing.” He had opened up the car door with another set of using their keyfob.

Please explain this random occurrence of another Toyota keyfob so coincidentally opening my car door. I will also note that my car lock driver actuator may have begun (ghosting) around that time to which I was not aware of and the car was just not locked even though I thought it was. Strange days.

#6 Sandy Meyers, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019