1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The life of a “Modman.â€

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Cheap!, Jul 12, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Now I realize that there are allergies to worry about as well as other outdoor contaminents, but when the outside air drops to a temperature lower than your desired thermostat setpoint, open the windows.

Yeah yeah, I know how obvious this sounds, but it's amazing how many people simply don't do it. Opening the window and using small fans is more efficient than boxing yourself in and using the A/C. Also, the air doesn't have to move much. People often believe that if they can't feel the air moving, there's no movement at all. In reality, even a little bit of movement is enough to remove moisture from the skin which is how we sense cooling. So open windows on opposite walls (north and south, for example) and let the air move all the way through the house.

Additionally, you have to keep in mind that a fan works by moving air from one place to another. This means that to work efficiently, it must have somewhere to get the air and somewhere to put the air. So putting a fan in a window of a closed room accomplishes nothing. For efficient fan useage, make sure a window and door are open so the fan can pull air from one place and push it somewhere else. Again, sounds obvious when you hear it but I see it all the time.

Now that I'm in HVAC mode, here's an interesting chart showing the comfort level for human occupation. Don't bother with "dry bulb" just think "temperature". You can see that there's a variance in the relative humidity depending on the ambient temperature. There are many things at work here. For example, dry air will dissipate heat quickly because there's nothing in the air to retain it. This is often why it's so hard to heat a cold, dry house. By introducing humidity into the air (within reason: 30% - 80%) you will retain the heat in the air and require less mechanical heating thus saving fuel and money. On the other hand, notice how in the summer you want to bring the humidity down to about 20% - 60% because if it's hot and humid, you'll be miserable and therefore crank up the A/C. Many people fail to put relative humidity in the equation of personal comfort.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 13 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]285676[/snapback]</div>
    While I like the idea of unplugging items such as the TV, unplugging the VCR (or in my case the TiVo) is foolish. And also, back to the TV, my plugs for the TV are all behind the TV. Hardly easy to reach/get to.

I do what I can. For instance, my bedroom window is shuttered up. No light to come in, no daylight, thus the room stays cooler.

3. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 13 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]285706[/snapback]</div>
    To combat the problem of having all plugs in the back, I have all my electronics (TV, VCR, DVD) plugged into a power strip. The power strip is located on the side, not back of these electronics; so it's easily accessable to just switch off when I'm not using them.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    TJ's right on a few levels there. While I like to be green and conserve, not everyone's all gun-ho and there is a point of reality that kicks in. I would like to put my TV and things on a timer so that I don't have to reach over and unplug them. Unfortunately, some days I work from home and some days my wife is home and then it's just awkward.

Everyone has a carbon footprint whether we like it or not. I think that the goal should be to reduce our footprint wwithin reason. I believe that's one of the key elements in convincing other people to be green: not forcing them to compromise. That's how this thread started, afterall.

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 13 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]285723[/snapback]</div>
    Now, that I did once. And then my cat, she would sit on the plug, and turn everything off when I was watching stuff.

Not sure if that meant she did not like the show on dogs or not.

Still, the TiVo has to stay on, to record shows.

What I do is simple things. Turn off the monitor when I am not using the Computer. Turn off lights. Shutter one other window in my house (it's in the living room). Draw the drapes in the day. Have the occasional hurricane, and that turns off a lot of power.

That sort of thing.

Oh, and I take short showers (mentioned already), and don't water the lawn (mother nature does that). Let's see...and I try not to cook in the house. I eat out. A lot. Every day.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 13 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]285676[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! Yes!
    If you have things like phone chargers that have that large black box near the plug, that is a transformer. It converts AC to DC in most cases and even if it is not charging they use power. Very little power yes but still they use some. "They are called Wall Warts."
    You can find them everywhere.
    I even removed one that was sucking about 10 watts per hour. That is about 7 KW per month and that cost me here in Houston about $1.00 per month. It was my door bell. Now I have a ships bell by my front door and friends like it better. Me too.

Also, I have all of my TV stuff on a power cord. When I go to work I flip the switch and every thing but the VCR gets shut off. That is so my VCR won’t flash 12:00. Some things are worth paying for.
    My TV does not have to be reprogrammed as the cable box has a battery inside.

Yes I am crazy....but so is my $21 power bill in the spring and fall when the temps are just right.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had no idea that things that were plugged in but shut off still drew power. I'm not going to reprogram my VCR every day but the stereo and air purifier I don't use that often. Hardly use the toaster either.

Now I am a bit spoiled. Anything less than 68 is too cold and more than 72 is too hot. But I do make the sacrifice of personal comfort to be more environmentally friendly. (I currently have all of the doors and windows open and ceiling fans on. I won't have to turn on the AC today either.

BTW a lot of people have the water heater set a little higher than it really needs to be. Wrap it with a blanket if you haven't already.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 13 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]285705[/snapback]</div>
    No S#!*! :rolleyes:
    Right here, right now: 11pm - 76 degrees F. - 50% humidity. I have windows open and the whole house fan on and am very comfortable. I also hear two neighbors central a/c units humming away. Pathetic!

After you shade your A/C compressor a-la TonyP, you may also consider rigging up a mister system for the A/C compressor too . . .

Here is what looks like an easy to use product for the I'm-not-very-mechanically-inclined type . . .
    [​IMG]
    http://www.coolnsave.com/

I'm considering making my own with an automatic sprinkler valve and off the shelf mister nozzles . . . but I am in no hurry as I rarely run the A/C unit anyway due to the whole house fan.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.easycart.net/ecarts/dripsupply/...OOLING_KIT.html

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had no idea these exist! Excellent.

In case you're curious, the evaporation part works on the same principal as industrial Cooling Tower in which water is used to wisk away heat and cool the pipes before they re-enter the building. Notice the three shower-head-looking sprayers at the top of the attachment. Exact same principal. I'm telling you all this as a psuedo-expert endorsement for the technique showing that it's tried and true.

Also, while digging around for the Cooling Tower image, I found this other one. I mentioned above that the fans don't have to be running full-bore to cool the space. I've also attached a graph known as the "Fan Curve." It shows that if you can slow a fan down (bottom of the graph), you are greatly reducing its energy draw (left axis). In residential settings, this means use the lower speeds. For commercial settings, the fans are often variable and they ride up and down this curve as the need requires. Of course, we aim to keep the speed low.