1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THE LOSERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 25, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your wife returning your gifts doesn't make you a loser. It just shows how dumb the whole commercial gift-giving business is. Buying your own "gift" makes sense. That way you get something you want. Wrapping it and acting surprised sounds like a game. No harm in that. Being unable to find a companion, in spite of being financially stable and having no obvious deformities - that's a loser.

Still, posting in this thread today is the only requirement for joining the club, so welcome.

And by the way, read Evan's knowledge base article on installing the EV button carefully. Getting the pin in the socket is tricky. You need a really tiny pointy thing to push it in the last tiny little bit.

Squid: I'm not much good at selling myself. And as for "getting out," where does an atheist teetotaler go to meet women? It's pathetic, but when I do see a woman I'd like to meet I freeze up. In spite of that, I do manage to ask someone out once in a while. They always say no. Inevitably and invariably. Admitedly, I'm not very slick about it. I hem and haw a lot, trying to get the words out. And then they say no, which doesn't do much for one's self-confidence.

Well, on the bright side, Christmas will be over in a couple of hours.

Tripp: The jelly beans are a Costal Tech trademark. I suppose there's a story behind them, but I don't know what it is. As I said to Tony above, read Evan's article carefully. Even though you're not installing an actual button, the part about the pin is better explained in Evan's article than it is in the instructions that come with the kit, unless they've changed them since I got mine.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try a Unitarian "church". Lots of humanists there. You said teetolaler so the nearest Hash House Harrier group is out of the question but there are probably lots of atheist teetotalers that are Unitarians.

Thankee. I figured it was a holiday thing. I'll check out Dr E's pics. The instructions seem really clear, but then again I haven't actually opened up the glove box yet....

3. gnagel

gnagel New Member

Not necessarily...it might mean that you are not willing to settle for anyone just to be in a relationship.

I know several people who are so afraid of being alone that they rushed into miserable marriages. I know others who are very happy being single with the independence that offers. Everyone is different---and that does not mean they are "losers." The only way to become a loser is for you to believe that you are a loser.

Well, at least Christmas is over now.

But, New Year's will be here in no time! ;)

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Ditto on that one, and it wouldn't be the first time. I average about 50% so far. Now I pretty much just buy something close to what she wants, knowing perfectly well that she'll likely exchange it anyway. Sometimes though, she actually loves what I get her, and that makes up for the general incompetence. Yes, there is some level of loser there.

Unfortunately though, that's as far as I can go with loserness. I'm blessed with a wonderful family, and have much of my extended family here in Florida as well. Christmas is a wonderful time of the year.

As for the tree thing, I guess you can criticize Americans as being lazy and unable to appreciate the outdoors. I'll heartily disagree though, as this is a tradition that my family practiced in Norway, and continued ot practice here in the USA. I have no interest in changing it. It has nothing to do with my level of outdoor activity or any other ridiculous nonsense that you wish to assign to it. It is a long running family tradition that I still enjoy.

If you want to incorporate some Hindu philosophy to it, it is actually the proper thing to do. There is dharma and karma. Dharma is you "divine responsibility," or it says what you are supposed to do in your life. Now, you don't need to do it, you have the choice to do whatever you want. Where the karma comes in is if you fulfil your dharma, then you get lots of good karma. You did your job, and you will thusly be rewarded. If you decide not to follow your comsmic destiny, then you are likewise not given the karma to proceed to the next level. So in this case, the tree was fulfilling his/her dharma by becoming my Christmas tree. The tree will now be reborn as a more majestic and glorious tree. I am proud to have helped this tree fulfil its destiny.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah, so much to comment on. First of all, thank goodness that depressing day is over. The sun is up (or would be if it were not overcast) and there's no snow to speak of on the ground. After all those years in Fargo, it's nice to have above-freezing weather at the end of December.

Tripp: Ha! A UU church was one of my requirements when searching for a city to move to. The only reason I didn't join my first Sunday here was that at this particular UU they require you to attend a "paths to membership" class first. So I didn't join until I'd been here a few weeks. Two or three, I think. It's a great place. Good people. But they're mostly couples. I've asked out a couple of women, but both have said no (of course), and would have asked out another, but I was getting really negative body language from her. I still intend to try to talk to her next time I see her. Still, it would have been a great suggestion if I had not already been a member.

The thing about the EV instructions is how difficult it actually is to get the little pin seated properly into the socket. That's what you want to read carefully before you begin. Also, the wiring harness is short and difficult to work with. Just go very slow and carefully, and if you are not an expert, don't worry about trying to do it in the 25 minutes they claim. It took me closer to an hour.

Gnagel: Exactly! I am desperate, but not desperate enough to get involved with someone I don't think would be compatible.

Doc: I guess I see the "divine destiny" argument as self-serving. You can use it to justify killing trees, animals, and even people. It was the argument the U.S. used to violate all it's treaties with the Indians and massacre whole nations, women, children, and all. And it's the argument our leaders today use to justify war. I don't buy the divine destiny thing. But I'll admit that it's not just Americans, or even just Christians, who do this sort of thing. We had a tree in my athiest home when I was a kid. Purely secular. My mother didn't want us kids to miss out on the fun and merrymaking just because we didn't believe in the Jesus stuff.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well yes, it was self-serving. I was using a 10,000 year old religious philosophy for my own purposes, but I do see it as applicable. If you want to expand it to include those other things also, then that is by all means your right. There are probably a few million Hindus who would disagree with this overly broad interpretation, but whatever.

I'm sorry you were alone on Christmas. No one should be, whether you think the holiday is a bunch of crap or not. Christmas is no longer a Christian thing, but rather a time for family and friends. We celebreate and have a tree (and a menorah), but there is nothing really religious about it. That's why we drove down to Miami. My wife's grandfather is in the hospital (hospice), and we didn't want her grandmother to be alone. Somehow a phone call doesn't cut it.

As for the dating scene. I know wone thing. It's not something you can force. Working at it doesn't greatly improve your chances. Once you reduce it to a task that needs to completed, then it's almost no longer worth it. In medical school I was greatly frustrated by all the girls at the school. After only a short time I gave up, saying that I would swear off girls for a long time, and just worry about school. It would greatly simplify my life, and save some cash too. Well wouldn't you know, only a few weeks after swearing off girls, I met my wife. Since I was not actively seeking any sort of companion (already had a pet tarantula, so what more did I need), things went much more smoothly. I wasn't concerneed about impressing her, and made no effort at all in trying to "hook up." Well, all I can say is the now we have two kids with #3 on the way. That's just the way it happens.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am attempting to organize a Chicagoland meet-up at which time I will install the EV switch with the assistance of other Chicagoland members. Also, I figure that if I knew someone who was going to install the switch, I would want to be there just to see it, see it go in, and see it work.

You might want to consider the same. And meetups are always fun.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

It's all in your head.

:)

Seriously, you're your own worst enemy.lol I've been there (and still am sometimes), and the only way to get over it, is simply to, as Nike said, do it. One tactic is to get turned down as much as possible in a short span of time, to the point where it becomes numb, and you can just laugh at it. The other is to try and be super-cocky and almost arrogant about it, the idea being to project as much inner confidence as possible. It's one of those things where the more you think about it, the more you plot and plan, the worse it comes out, and THEY can see that pretty quick.

If all else fails, get a motorcycle. :) Seriously. Doesn't have to be a rice-rocket, just a simple cruiser will do. I could not believe the sheer volume of people I met when I got my bike. Plus, I heard somewhere, that one of the most used search terms by women on dating sites is, "motorcycle".... I actually dated a chick once just because of the bike (she loved riding 2-up), of course it was never going to last, but hey, it was stupid fun for a while.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't even stay upright on a bicycle. No coordination. Same defect that prevents my being able to dance or play a musical instrument. I can dance the rumba, because it really doesn't matter what you do. But any woman who dances close up to me better wear protective shoes. I took salsa dancing lessons in Cuba. I took one look at my partner's feet and expressed relief that she was wearing heavy boots. She replied, "I have a lot of experience at this." I never did learn to dance salsa. I was pathetic. But I held my own in the African dancing class, because nobody cared if I did the steps right or not. For me, a motorcycle would be suicide. And I'm not yet that depressed.

Curiously, I was pretty good as a morse code operator (ham radio) because a bit of hesitation here and there gave my code a characteristic sound that other operators could identify. Everyone knew when I was on the air, even before I gave my call sign. I was respected as a competent operator and rose to a respectable height in ham radio traffic-handling (message-passing) circles. (For any hams present, I was a net control operator on the tenth-region CW net, and a tenth-region rep to the Central Area Net. I rubbed shoulders with some pretty high-powered CW ops and was even invited to join the CFO. I still have my CFO certificate.) But I'm rambling...

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oh wow! There's an odd, unexpected tidbit... I was just going to mention that you must have SOME sort of coordination for Morse code... Hmm, as for the dancing part, there is a type of music for which you might fit right in: punk: something like Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself, or something like Nine Inch Nails, where the more you thrash about, the "cooler" you look... Just figured I'd throw that out there, maybe go to a local club that's playing some type of heavy rock music, where maybe even a 'mosh' pit forms... it's one of those things that seems like it might be 'ok', but turns out to be hella fun... lots of younger chicks like older dudes, the whole 'sugardaddy' thing... seriously, my uncle is in his late 40's, he's got no coordination, and oddly enough, is into the whole Ham radio thing (kb1djc) is his call sign, and somehow, he manages to pick up chicks. One was even 28! It's almost unbelievable actually....

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think I could take more than about 60 seconds of punk. But the rumba has a great beat, and you're not generally close enough to anyone else to step on their feet. Maybe if there was an Afro-Cuban club in Spokane...