1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The miracles of Traction control

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Stevevee, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Whether it uses energy or not, it's a proven safety feature.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You still haven't said anything to support the suggestion that being able to turn off TC would have helped at all. For all we know it would have made things worse. Frankly I find it a bit disturbing when people make suggestions in public forums that the TC somehow is harmful, I think its irresponsible. Perhaps one would be better off to learn how it works and how to use it, what to expect and what NOT to do. But by all means if you have some credible evidence to actually support your gripes about the TC, please present it. What your neighbor's VW did is not relevant.

3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don;t know if you have any experience driving in severe winter conditions, but the worst part is after the storms are gone. I've driven in this crap for over 40 years now. The only thing that gets you going is initial traction, which is pretty tough with TC on. You have both tires on ice (driveway). There are many things you can try, rocking, sand, cat littler, pushing, etc... Studded tires do help.

I'm not talking about spinning your tires as you stomp on the pedal. Most old timers know this can be futile, and lead to broken transmissions. If you do a simple Google search, you can read about it. I have experience with and without traction control, and with and without the ability to turn it off when needed. Some slippage is required, and will help you claw your way to better traction. No wheels turning, and you sit there. Credible evidence is in the millions of pages online, and thousands of questions concerning how to turn it off.

I think the fact that you find it disturbing simply means you don't have any knowledge about it. Not everything can be solved by great computer logic or technology. Sometimes common sense is required. If you were walking on ice, and your onboard computer says it won;t move your feet because it's too slippery, you'd look pretty stupid out there standing still. My Camry had the on/off button, I assume Toyota put it there for a reason. Yes, it works better when it's very slippery. Road tests for all wheel and 4WD vehicles have shown that many TCS and stability control systems are over-eager.

The problem is with fine-tuning the system. If too aggressive, the TCS can leave you stuck, instead of being helpful. I'm not recommending people turn it off when doing normal driving, or even in slippery conditions when on the road. The on/off button is there for a simple reason, sometimes, it's necessary. Just as the Rav4 has a AWD lock button, to disable to computer-controlled allocation of traction to all four wheels.

Having great technology is nice. Understanding the difference between technology, common sense, and real-world applications is better.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Much as having the knowledge and experience as to the implications of defeating it and proceeding without it.

The point being that for a novice, the risk of operating without the inbuilt SAS/technology may outweigh the benefits.

5. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember, my discussion was trying to get out of my driveway? Also, there are time on icy inclines on the road, obviously traveling very slow, when it's needed to prevent a much worse situation from developing. Don;t worry, after these very brief encounters, the car nanny can be turned on again.

Geez..... Might have to take you guys out for a ride this week while we're still iced in.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

My point being that listing instructions for defeating SAS logic may encourage those without your (and my) experience, resulting in far worse outcomes.

7. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't list instructions for anything, I was discussing how my Camry had the on/off button, and how it was very useful when needed (which isn't that often). The TCS is over-agressive in my opinion, but an on/off button would be nice. It turns itself on fairly quickly. Same logic in how a Rav4 has an AWD Lock, and many cars have the TCS on
    /off. Most people would rather be able to move rather than have a discussion on the merits of a computer-controlled car feature.

I'm sure at least one other person will encounter this this winter. Looking back through search, it's happened before. It happened across the street yesterday as the Prius liftback couldn't make it back up the driveway to the garage. It was plowed. She parked overnight on the street. Their Acura TSX made it back just fine, nobody was injured.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Two others listed a set of instructions... that may or may not work, that may or may not end up creating more problems than they "solve".

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be...I used some online instructions once to turn off the incessant and loud beeping in my Camry once for the seat belt "chimes". Somehow, I made it back alive from the mailbox up my driveway.

I'd always suggest anyone looking for a simple answer to any question first ask their dealer when in for maintenance. Last time I went in, they had a steady procession of people asking how to disable the rear view camera/backup beeping.

Now I've been asked to give a ride to wunderkid who's new WRX AWD car can't move. He thought AWD and having those wide low profile tires (stock) would be just fine. After one hard snowbank hit, he now sees the light ;)

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that someone disagrees doesn't mean they "don't understand".

11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most that experience it know what I mean. Ya have to be here... Not an issue, not trying to be combative....

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, but thus far you're the only one complaining. I've driven the v in a variety of slippery conditions and think the TC system is great. I certainly wouldn't recommend turning it off for any reason, even if it were possible.

13. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My goodness! Have you ever driven in deep unplowed snow? I must have turned traction control and VSC off and on a hundred times on my RWD Lexus V8 sedan last winter while driving home from work in 10 to 15 inches of fresh, mostly unplowed snow. My normal commute is about 10 miles but I probably drove three times that due to having to backtrack out of streets blocked by hundreds/thousands of abandoned vehicles including city buses. OK, I do always use "real" snow tires in winter - currently Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on all four wheels.

I couldn't budge more than a few inches out of my parking space in the company parking lot with several guys pushing until - DUH! - I remembered I needed to turn traction control off. After I turned traction control off, I shot out of the space like a rocket and powered past a bunch of hopelessly stuck vehicles.

Traction control is wonderful under particular and limited conditions but if you can't turn it off in deep snow and sometimes on ice, your vehicle becomes a road ornament.

Stevevee likes this.
  14. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Word.

Offline likes this.
  15. MPGS-LOL

MPGS-LOL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Easy. All of the below only applies if you have snow tires, not all seasons with "winter ratings"

Slight uphill. Iced over.

TC cuts power too aggressively, car is unable to gain sufficient momentum to make it up the hill on snow tires.

Disabling TC is useless with all seasons, but with studless snow tires, it will permit enough wheelspin to gain you a few extra MPH's to make it up the hill (maybe), or at least to give enough momentum to switch to a different line that has some snow for traction.

Or perhaps making a left hand turn with icey roads from a standstill. Disabling TC would allow more power to translate into forward momentum to clear the intersection in a reasonable manner vs TC cutting the throttle aggressively and result in the prius clumsily turtling its way through the intersection.

Wish there was a fuse to pull for winter.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The traction control does take the driver's go-pedal pressure as one of its inputs, so a driver can elicit unhelpful TC behavior by excessive input at the pedal. The TC works best as a fine-tuning mechanism when the driver is already careful to estimate the available traction and give no more go-pedal input than that. When the driver's estimate is reasonably close on that, the TC can do the rest.

If the driver gives too large a go-pedal input, the TC will try to do as it's told, take a great big dig, realize that broke traction completely, take a big pause, and repeat. That approach works poorly and is mentioned in many complaints.

When using the traction control as an assistive, cooperative technology that complements roughly appropriate driver input, the goal is to look more like one of these guys:

The driver in both of those cases would just have been giving a steady go-pedal input that was already judged to be no more than the conditions allowed. The traction control simply took care of making that work.

Ice-polishing like this guy is typically a slower way to reach a destination:

fuzzy1 and MPGS-LOL like this.