1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured The new 2019 Corolla hybrid looks good

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriusV17, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could be. Needed to use a road force balancer? Also an adapter due to lug centric vs hub centric. Not sure which RAV 4 is.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Discount Tire where I recently purchased winter tire and wheel set for my PRIME offered a road force balance service. They called it "Ride Match Balance", but I did not include it. Regular balancing and mounting was included free, but this cost extra. I have not put the wheels and tires on my PRIME yet, but if ride is uncomfortable, I wonder where I could take them to get re-balanced.

BTW, I have not researched much on RAV4, but do you know they requires all four tires to be replaced if one tire gets unrepairable flat? Our old Sienna AWD came with non-repairable run-flat tire (no spare) and due to AWD if one tire gets flat, then all four had to be replaced. Back then run-flat tires were hard to find and not many tire shop could service them and they were soooooo expensive. Just within first year of owning the van I had to spend ~$1200 for tires after a single tire suffered a flat.

Sorry folks, this was totally off topic. I don't think Toyota will make Corolla AWD any time soon.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The current Corolla hatchback is actually an Auris, and it is a smaller car; might even be in the size class down.

Since I don't expect the Corolla sedan to shrink, the new hatchback will be larger than the Auris, and likely the same size as the Prius and v.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, if it gets introduced in the US, it is essentially a replacement for Prius V. I am going to wait for 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, as might as well wait while longer to see if they will bring Hybrid Corolla Hatch.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When will we see the technical specs?

Bob Wilson

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two Corollas - Corolla Hatchback and Corolla Sports Touring (wagon). The wagon is pictured in the first post. Both hatchback and wagon are available in hybrid form.

But note that the Corolla Hatchback is significantly smaller than the RAV4 Hybrid. The Corolla wagon (in the OP) will most likely not come to the US since the RAV4 sells better and for more profit.

The Corolla hatchback is still firmly in the compact class. I've sat in it and it's roomy in the front but tight in the rear seats. Hatchback space is a bit small (3, Golf and Elantra probably hold a bit more than the Corolla)

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the new 2019 on dealer lots yet? If certified as a sedan, it is a midsize by the EPA. I'm surprised it has shorter wheelbase than the sedan.

8. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As a former owner of multiple station wagons, I think they're absolutely the perfect vehicular form factor. I fail to understand why my fellow Americans refuse to see this :)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hatchback? It is in Canada. I sat in the SE in the showroom.

Me too.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wasn't aware that the drop of iM from the name also coincided with the arrival of an all new car. Other models have the same wheelbase between the hatchback and sedan.
    The old Focus wagon had as much cargo space as the Rav4 of the time.
    Most came to see wagons as uncool, and marketing convinced them they needed AWD/4WD.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Recently got a flat in my 2018 Rav4 Hybrid and only needed a single tire replacement at the dealership. So, most likely more flexible than your Sienna AWD or Subaru with more traditional systems.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your comment. That is a good news.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe it is a question of how worn the old tire was in relation to the new one. A new tire with a greater outside diameter can throw off wheel speed sensors and/or cause uneven wear to all the tires.
    The recommendation for even 2WD cars is to replace tires in at least pairs.

14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Because truck manufacturers have them brainwashed. :whistle:

I agree though! We have had several station wagons. I fondly remember our Mazda Protege 5. (y) However, the thing rusted like mad.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From this review:
    • 122PS - 1.8L hybrid system
    • 180PS - 2.0L hybrid system

Since my BMW i3-REx has 168 hp, the 2.0L should have some nice scoot.

Bob Wilson

16. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is everything officially known about new European spec Corolla:
    New Corolla at the 2018 Paris Motor Show

- 10” colour TFT Head-up Display
    - World First 3-D Driver’s Meter - The panel may also be switched to the world’s first 3-D effect, in which the dials appear to float in mid-air.
    - Wireless Mobile Phone Charging
    - Power Tailgate Kick Sensor
    - 2.0 Hybrid: In addition, the EV drive vehicle maximum speed has been increased to above 115 km/h, and system control has been changed to prohibit engine start without accelerator pedal operation even before engine warm up starts.
    - Availability of Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS). AVS cooperates with the Drive Mode Select system to control damping force in accordance with the selection of ECO, NORMAL, SPORT S, SPORT S+ or CUSTOM modes, offering drivers the appropriate balance of ride comfort and handling agility.
    - Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 with Lane Trace Assist (LTA)

You can find some first drive reviews about 2.0 hybrid from Lexus UX 350h, the more powerfull hybrid will also come in CH-R (probably Europe only).

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think this wagon will come for u in the US, it will come as a Sedan and as a hatchback for u, then in the EU it will come as a wagon and hatchback.

Sedan will come around summer 2019, the hatchback will come in around december 2018 i believe, same time as the new 2019 face lift prius gen 4.

New corolla (auris) will take over iM`s line in US, because the iM is the current gen auris.

It wont come as a sedan in EU because we have the Avensis sedan and wagon. Only negativ thing with it is that its not a hybrid.

I dont know in the US, but in EU it will come with a 1.2L petrol engine with 120hp as the avensis, a 1.6L 134hp and a 2.0L 180HP hybrid.
    In EU toyota dithced diesel`s, so there wont be any diesel models as before, I also think toyota ditched manual`s.

An i saw tideland prius say toyota ditched the name Auris in EU? Thats not true, it will go under the same name in EU, but will take over both corolla and iM in US and be called corolla there. Auris already took over corolla in EU in 2006. It still advertised as the "auris" in Norway.

And the Prius V/+7 will be discontinued worldwide from what ive heard...

We already have two of the Auris Touring sports, and have been thinking of getting one of the new 2019 models.

#57 MagnusAG99, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you:
    I've put this in a table tagged format with some openings. If you have time, can we fill in the blanks?

model litre hp L/100 km
    1 2019 Avensis (Corolla) 1.2L 120 ?
    2 2019 Corolla hybrid 1.6L 134 ?
    3 2019 Corolla hybrid 2.0L 180 ?
    4 2019 Prius 1.8L 122 ?

I found the UK Toyota web site and it appears to have a lot of the technical details I'm interested in.

Bob Wilson

19. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No wait.... The avensis is discontinued... There is no 2019 Avensis. The Auris will take over the avensis spot also, the f!ck... I havent noticed that...
    Its switched out with the new supra
    [​IMG]

And the new Camry Hybrid will come to EU? What is going on lol, norway havent had the camry for over 20 years, but now its back.

#59 MagnusAG99, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  20. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Corolla sedan is availible in EU for a long time, but I don't think it has much in common with the hatchback and TS, looks like it will stay as it is (old model).

European fuel economy rating won't do you much, the numbers will be WLTP but they still won't be comparable to EPA. But for now they are uknown.