1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured The new 2019 Corolla hybrid looks good

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriusV17, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never said wheelbase is what makes it the replacement... BUT the Auris TS (not the normal short auris) is quite obvious the replacement for the Avensis... Check out the specifications. Its not smaller than the avensis wagon anymore, its just as long in the wheelbase at 2700mm, its 179cm wide (old one is 176cm) which is only 1 cm less than the Avensis`s width and it will be just as long in total. It also says the boot space of the auris TS will be 598 liters VS 509liters on the avensis (according to quite many websites thats tested them both). The wheelbase was made longer to increase boot space and rear legroom, so its just bigger than the avensis. And the Avensis sedan will be replaced with the much bigger camry, not the wagon... which i have said in like three posts.
    The camry`s, Auris TS`s and Auris`s prices will be revealed in january 2019 when its available for pre order.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Corolla sedan in the US has been an EPA midsize for years now. The new Auris/Corolla wagon has the same wheel base as it.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Camry is practically the size of our fullsize Avalon, so for you Europeans, the Camry will absolutely be massive in terms of passenger space.

4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the problem that Corolla got bigger it was Avensis that was too small for the class. That said Toyota still doesn't have an estate to rival Mazda6, Passat, Superb...

Tideland Prius and telmo744 like this.
  5. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the V90, i dont think toyota has anything to rival the V60 either...

Atleast the camry is going to rival the sedan versions of the mazda and passat now. I highly doubt there will come another "avensis" thats bigger then the auris TS, it doesnt make sense economicly for toyota after just doing this huge redesign of the Auris. Wouldve been cool to see a avalon wagon tho lol.

And Toyota Norway updated their website today! I asked toyota if the new auris would be called the "auris" in 2019 and they said "yes" and even had an article from when it was showed off in Geneve for the first time like... 4months ago.

But when i asked them today after having my car down there for a check up, they said toyota in the last second decided to dump the auris name in Scandinavia and use corolla here also, so it will be called the corolla and they even updated their website just 5 min ago.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of it with the auris name for the scandinavian market, then they changed it this week to corolla.[​IMG][​IMG]

Really wondering if toyota is gonne dump any more models...
    I really dont get why the auris even existed then... In 2006 the corolla got taken over by the auris, the 2006 used the toyota matrix platform i believe, then now, 12 years later they decide to kill off Auris and take back corolla again. I think someone at toyota got really sentimental when the supra got revived lol, so they wanted to bring back the corolla.
    If the toyota carina (the one that Avensis took over) comes back, thats for sure the case lol.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, it was just a name change - it was always called the Corolla elsewhere (e.g. Australia).

I think the original reason was that the "Corolla" name was associated with boring and staid, so Toyota Europe wanted a fresher name; hence Auris was born.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    telmo744 likes this.
  8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Auris" is actually the latin word for "Gold" lol, as prius means "primerary" as in "primerary hybrid".

And i know, i dont know if AU had the actual auris and auris TS tho, or just the Corolla iM?

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except the Corolla of the first Auris generation was built on three platforms; E140 for Japan, E140 wide body for Asia and Americas, and E150 for Europe, Africa, and Australasia. The Auris used the E150 for the first gen. The second gen platform wasn't shared with any Corolla. The Corolla itself was diverging between markets, like the Focus did earlier, and the Auris was diverging further from its Corolla roots.

With TNGA, Toyota is consolidating the platforms to fewer variants. It appears they are doing the same with model names; dropping Auris for Corolla everywhere. I just find using a shorter wheelbase for the hatchback odd, though I can think of reasons why.

Can't say if Australia got the wagon, but they got the first generation Auris, but called it the Corolla hatchback. The iM didn't arrive until the second generation, and its differences from the gen2 Auris are only surface ones to distinguish it as a Scion.

Toyota Auris - Wikipedia
    Toyota Corolla (E140) - Wikipedia

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats not really "odd" at all, its taking over the Avensis, a long wheelbase hatchback would be so weird looking... lol, while on the Touring sports it looks way more natural, corolla TS is basically a new gen Avensis.

I wonder if US will get the TS version tho... Or if u will only get the small version and then the sedan version in 2019-2020.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For here it's odd. The Focus, Cruze, and Civic all have the same wheelbase between the sedans and hatchbacks. The Elantra and Elantra GT(i30) are different, but I believe they are built on different platforms.

Since it appears that Toyota is consolidating the number of models, having a short wheelbase Corolla seems odd too. I'm pretty sure the sedan and wagon are built upon the platform used for the Prius. Unless this short wheelbase platform is going to be used for another model, having it alone would increase costs.

12. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe u may be right, since the dimensions on the prius is the same as the new corolla TS.
    What i think tho, is that since the prius platform and avensis plaform is the same dimensions, if the Corolla TS uses the avensis platform, while the normal one uses another one thats brand new. Cars r getting bigger, so maybe toyota figured they might aswell start producing the new platform so theyre ready to for exmample give the yaris a huge step up in size 4 years in the future for example (i just used "yaris" just as an exmaple, i doubt the yaris will use that big of a platform). Or that they will bring in a new model sometime in the future that will use the same platform as the normal corolla, i have never seen a toyota with 1640mm in the wheelbase atleast... So that makes me tink its brand new...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. That I didn't know. Thanks!

Perhaps a shorter one is better for handling and city parking? I know the trend is to make everything bigger but I guess they had to pick a chassis and maybe the shorter one gave them the body design they wanted.

14. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh god... i found out what platform the normal short corolla is using..... The CH-R.... i havent even thought of that... So the platform isnt new, the short one uses the CH-R platform, and the long one uses prius/avensis platform... seems like the 2006-2018 auris platform has been scrapped also then?

Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly. The Camry platform was scrapped (or rather it just went to the lengthened Avalon one since the Avalon is based on the Camry). Right now, it seems like there's a large gap between the GA-K platform (Camry/Avalon/ES) and the GA-C platform (Corolla, Prius). Or maybe Toyota is content with that separation.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is moving everything to their TNGA modular platforms. The Prius was the first model to arrive on it, the C-HR second, then the Camry, and the new Corolla. The one used by the Prius, C-HR, and Corollas are likely classified as just variants of a single platform. Modular platforms are engineered to allow some stretching of the base

The Camry is a little shorter than the Avalon. I suspect they are fine with the separation. With the minor size changes, those two platforms can, or will, work for the majority of their North American line up. Of the fully Toyota unibody vehicles in the US, only the Yaris, Prius c, and Sienna likely couldn't be accommodated on the platforms out now.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Surely the Sienna can be accommodated on the GA-K platform? The 4G Highlander has to be on it.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's other hybrids can work on their current platforms, but the NA Sienna is bigger than the Highlander. It might work, but with the model being mostly one market, and the Minivan segment shrinking, they might not bother.

19. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mhmm... It will be called the Auris in many EU countries apparently... Watched the live show from toyota today, it was an auris, not corolla.
    Toyota Europe - Live from Geneva Motor Show 2018

Edit: it was from April lol, when it actually was called the auris. Isn’t there gonna be a Eu show aswell? Only show now is the LA one... wish the Camry TRD and those new cars came to EU, even tho I doubt it will... I doubt this LA show also is for us in the EU.

edit again: lol, we will get the corolla sedan in Europe, and it seems like the LA show also was for us in Europe. 4wd prius is coming here and hopefully the TRD camry will also make it. i hope it will atleast...

#99 MagnusAG99, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018