1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The New Honda Accord Hybrid 2014 = 60 + MPG and FUN!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jameskatt, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    F8L likes this.
  2. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Now that I have it. I drool only to Tesla S and X. :D Only because I cannot afford it. I guess I could buy one, but I will be eating cup of noodles for lunch and dinner the next 10 years. :cry:

F8L, markrivers and markabele like this.
  4. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sold just yet. It all sounds great and I really hope it is that good. I think the proof will be on fuelly.com and so far only 1 2014 accord hybrid and it is reporting 28.9 mpg.

The 2012-13 camry hybird has 200 hp and has lots of power, we always get over 40 mpg which sounds poor compaired to the talk about the Accord. I don't believe it until some real world results come in. On my prius c it gets many bad reviews and epa combined 50 mpg, my mpg keeps going up and at the next fill my average will be over 63 mpg worked out on paper. about 64.5 on trip computer.

when will these cars be out?:)

markrivers likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the route you take in your prius c is magic, you might beat epa in the accord hybrid on that same route;)

I totally agree though, we know about some problems with epa testing, and it is quite likely the accord hybrid won't beat the camry hybrid on similar real routes as it does in epa testing. Of the 3 midsized sedan hybrid, the fusion hybrid probably does best at slow speeds and warm weather. The accord hybrid may do the best on the highway. YMMV, all of these cars will get great mileage compared to the malibu eco:)

xraydoug likes this.
  6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The link below states the 2014 Accord Hybrid gets EPA 50 mpg city/45 highway/47 combined. Where's the 60 mpg number coming from?

2014 Accord Hybrid Value for Money - Honda Official Site

Edit - Saw the 60 mpg number from Gas2. If they're right, that's great for Honda, but I'm skeptical.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the reviewers in the op's link.

edit, just saw rr's edit.:rolleyes: and f8l jumped in front of me.:oops:

F8L likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    took my wifes hycam for a 60 mile trip today. 100 miles on the tank when i left and 47 mpg average. beautiful day, 70 degrees, no heat or a/c. a little hyper miling, keeping up with traffic, speed limits, 20 miles at 55 and 40 miles of backroads. 61 mpg and brought her average up to 51 mpg. these things can be done, but it all depends on circumstances. if honda matches it? good for them. a quantum leap? doubtful.

markabele and Sergiospl like this.
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will take years before we know about the reliability of Honda's new battery. For now, would lease the Accord hybrid, but buy the Camry hybrid. I would expect Camry Hybrid reliability stories similar to Prius. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=385769

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmmmm which interior would I prefer ....

this...

Copy of camera 508.jpg Copy (2) of camera 384.jpg

Total deal breaker for me, and a massive let down.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Cleanmpg missed 3rd Gen Prius' thermal efficiency is also 38.5%. 1st Gen was 37%.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    50/45/47 matches the EPA label of the model on display at the Seattle Auto Show yesterday.

Fueleconomy.gov shows the same.
    The Monroney sticker states that is has an eCVT.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iknow, i know, and i know if it's everything promised, you'll be there eventually and we'll miss you!:p hycam is very comfy tho...;)

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ANd it does. Under 43 mph the car acts as a serial hybrid. This completely disconects ice rpm from wheel rpm, creating an eCVT. The system then can close a clutch (e)lectrically entering the top fixed gear. When you look at ICE rpm versus speed its an eCVT.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So do Toyota hybrids, but they are nothing alike. eCVT seems to have become a catch all for hybrid transmissions that don't fit the traditional types. CVT is because the end result is like an automatic CVT with no shift points. The e is for electronic.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Well, I kind of hope it will beat Camry Hybrid on similar routes... It has to, otherwise whats the point of the car? It is $3k more expensive, has actually smaller engine and it at the same time heavier while using lion. It will probably be noticeably slower as well.

Unless they get 5 MPG better than Camry, there is no point in this car at all (at this price).

I actually like Accord better than the Camry, as it looks more luxurious. I really do hope Honda actually delivers with this new system and sells a lot of them so they can push other manufacturers to do even better.

At $3k premium to all of the competition, I simply dont see the sales being significant (compared to competition).

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Accord Hybrid to arrive on Halloween to take the fright out of your trips to the gas station .... booooo

That guy on fuelly with an 'Accord Hybrid' doesn't seem to have an Hybrid. Don't worry, they are not going to get anything like 28 mpg except in the hands of a total dufus.

Hopefully it can get a real world 44 ... maybe even 45 MPG combined. would be quite good for car of that size and power. Lot will depend on who's driving it and what conditions.

xraydoug likes this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Let's compare apples to apples. Accord Hybrid not offered at this point in bare bones LX trim like Camry Hybrid LE. 'Accord Hybrid' base is patterned after EX trim w/o the sunroof.

TCH LE vs. Acc Hy base

16" black steel wheels w/ plastic covers VS. 17" hybrid alloy wheels
    205 width tires vs 225 tires

3,435 lbs vs. 3,550

13.1 cu ft trunk vs 12.8 cu ft (they're saying 3 less than conv.) Accord should be wider, 12V under hood.

No rear spoiler vs. spoiler

no backup camera vs. backup camera (must be, all regular accords have it)

6-way manual adj dr. seat (Yuck!!) vs 10 way power adjust seat incl power lumbar

piece of plastic slides out of visor as extension vs whole visor slides on extendable arm (winner)

1 folding rear seat (40% part) vs no folding rear seat ( -1 for Accord Hybrid)

this train wreck Copy of camera 508.jpg vs. this Copy (2) of camera 384.jpg

20. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Accord is also probably the best looking model in the class right now, and will likely retain the excellent steering and dynamics that Honda is known for. 35 vs 40mpg or so is hardly worth deciding based on fuel economy alone. (Not that we really know one way or another now - just pointing it out) It's less than $200/year for most people. Most people will likely buy the car they like better.