1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The New Prius Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Fstr911, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes but it is built in the US, well by a US company. So any exports will be based on the USD. Since we all know how weak it is especially with the GBP and Euro, an overpriced car becomes a laughingly overpriced car.

And the negative things about the Prius were not based on fact. So far every negative of the volt is a die hard negative, with the exception of GM's poor reputation badging the car as a poor car. Although I too agree with that one.

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But the cost of research and design is all done. When they manufacture this car in Europe (probably at Ellesmere Port) the currency issue is irrelevant. They will make profit on the car and that profit will go back to GM.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not exactly. The Vibe was built at NUMMI. (I've taken a tour of NUMMI a few years before it closed.) The Matrix was built at a Toyota plant in Ontario.

The cars are twins and were supposedly jointly developed, both based off the Corolla.

Regarding the NUMMI joint venture, there was this EXCELLENT and insightful podcast ep on it. It's now at http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi and unfortunately costs $0.99 to download since it's too old. I put up some comments about it http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/78530-great-story-nummi-nprs-american-life.html#post1097941.