1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Official 12/29/05 say-anything thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Dec 29, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'll start. GET A NEW KEYBOARD, SQUID!!!

ok so i'm not so great with the insults unless i'm pissed off.

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

My mom named me after Barry Manilow's song "Mandy". I sometimes put the song on repeat to annoy my husband. ;)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I like that name.

4. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Ditto to Maggie's reponse.

If my wife hadn't already made the big (final) decision to name our daughter Piper when she arrives, I would have strongly suggested that one.

And yes, Zapranoth, BSG rocks!!!! - though I do miss the old Starbuck's feathered hair. :p

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

We all want the same thing...we just disagree on how to get there.

Sexual predators CAN NOT change...eliminate them

Less drug and property crime folks in prison...fill them up with the violent criminals

Cops don't just pick people out and shoot them....the "perp" did something to instigate it.

I can eliminate all excessive force issues with police....DON'T commit crime and then DON'T resist arrest.

The gov't is too "stupid" to plan ANY conspiracies.

Peace on Earth...goodwill to men IS possible...so keep striving for it.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, since the thread has tripped in to a 70s flashback <shudder> :blink: they've been playing Dickie Roberts on cable a lot lately and the funniest part of the entire movie is during the credits, Maureen McCormick is singing so sweetly and looking, still, like the pure, innocent babe of the Brady Bunch "for entertaining you before bed, but if one more person calls me Marcia (her demeanor suddenly changes and with a glimpse of real hostility) :angry: I'll bust his f***ing head." I could watch that bit over and over for hours and laugh every time, it's hilarious.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I won't refuse to go out with you just because you drive one of those! I'm a very open-minded kind of guy.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like when they kick down the door of the wrong apartment, guns blazing, and shoot a grandmother watching tv in the corner.
    Dream on. Not every cop is a bloodthirsty racist, but there are enough bad apples on many big-city police forces that not committing any crime, and then not resisting when they arrest you anyway, will not keep you safe. After all, cops are just people, and some people abuse whatever power you give them. And traditionally, cops will stand up for each other, even when their partner commits cold-blooded murder. It's a "brotherhood" thing.

In Mexico they have a saying: Thank God for the criminals, to protect us from the police. It's very tongue-in-cheek black humor, of course, but it's applicable in American inner cities as well.

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but do you like my kitty?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.ribghe.org/Maggie/sweetypie11.jpg

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wish I were there.

Dreaming of my own personal heaven, aka Mammoth Mountain.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth3.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth4.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth5.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth6.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/rancid13/mammoth7.jpg

Mmmmm....must make a trip up there soon! :) And put my season pass to good use this year. And June Mountain too-less people and smooth, wide runs and lotsa fun trees.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my sister's name is mandy.

i walked out of my lab today to never return. walking to my car and talking to DH on the phone, i must have looked near tears from my boss having just ripped me a new one. i got a hug and consolation from a 4th year student in my department who happened to be passing by who left her lab at the end of her second year.

at least now i feel less like a failure (which is what the former boss called me)

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    galaxee...

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!

Just keep reminding yourself that, because seriously, you aren't! Good for you for getting out of there and leaving that boss to abuse someone else for a change. You certainly don't deserve that. There's something better for you out there anyways, I just know it. Stay strong!

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so galaxee, pardon my ignorance, wht exactly is going on in your lab?

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    verbally abusive boss, incredibly critical and not supportive at all. me guzzling antacid and pepto just to remain somewhat normally functioning, barely able to stand 7 hours a day of that crap much less the 10 he demands (well anymore, for a while i was doing 10-12 hour days), just told him this am i was leaving for good. got screamed at for 2 hours, called all sorts of names (waste of his time, waste of his money, failure, bad student, lazy, incompetent, etc)

sigh. thanks for the support guys. i needed out of that situation and quick. i knew it would be a big hurdle to get out of there though.

had a meeting with another PI this afternoon and she gave me some good leads and a ray of hope. waiting to hear about that while reading copies of her 2 big grants (possible projects for me if i'm lucky but i'm not placing any plans on it until she responds)

my appetite is returning. time to forage for some lunch even though it's near dinnertime.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    bosses who are like that, galaxee, were abused as children. I worked for a moron like that for a little while. I don't like working for someone with a lower IQ than mine. :)

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so was i, which is why the experience was making me so ill and i started missing so much lab time. mental anguish causes lots of physical symptoms.

i got beaten down so far i kind of shut down academically. looking forward to getting into an encouraging, catalyzing environment sometime soon.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love your kitty! Actually, I like all cats. But this one is gorgeous! Dump your husband and I'll marry you for your cat. I even have room in my garage for both Priuses.

I once knew a woman who I would have married for her cats. There were five of them, all big and fat and soft and furry. Luckily for me, she wasn't interested. Would have been a terrible match. But those cats were wonderful.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but you did the right thing to quit. Nobody has the right to abuse another person. Employers who treat their workers with respect get better work done. Good luck finding a better job with an employer who is a human being.

19. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

problem is, that Skunky will want to stay with the hubby and you will not want me because I won't have my kitty

20. bookrats

bookrats New Member