1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Official HOW DO I USE MY MAC? Thread.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 20 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]322213[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. However, Quicksilver has come a long way. It also does more than just find this, you can exert actions on things before you open them. This 10 minute tutoril will begin illustrating the power of Quicksilver:

http://vjarmy.com/archives/2004/03/quicksilver_a_b.php

Cheers!

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narussian @ Sep 19 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]322114[/snapback]</div>
    No need to but "a bluetooth USB thing," it is included in the MacTel iMac (and MacBook and MacBook Pro).

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    congrats on the new addition daniel. things to look at.

if you miss windows games, keep your windows computer to play them. kvm switches allows you to use one mouse, one keyboard and one monitor with multiple computers even if they have multiple OS's.

i have a win 98 computer whose only real function is that it has MS office on it. other than file storage, about the only thing i use it for anymore is tracking my LT gas mileage.

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'm getting more used to the Mac as I use it. I did install the FreeCell game referenced in Maggie's post. I was a bit worried about installing freeware. Who knows what's really in it? But I'll keep my fingers crossed. With that, and the chess program that came included, I have all the games I need. And I repeat that there's gonna be no Bill on this computer!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 20 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]322145[/snapback]</div>
    Can I have Juliette Lewis come over and nibble on my toes instead? Or, better yet, can I nibble on her toes? I'd unplug my flash drive ten times a day without unmounting it, if I could nibble on Juliette Lewis's toes.

Seriously, though, yes, I know about unmounting devices (which the Mac calls "ejecting.") It's because Unix and its sisters don't necessarily write to files immediately. Unmounting forces the OS to clean up any unfinished business. Linux is the same.

I bought my printer today. An HP Laserjet 1022, $200 plus tax. And I only wasted 20 or 30 sheets of paper getting it set up. It even has a separate feeder useful for envelopes, and NeoOffice has a slick envelope formatting tool. I decided against a cheapo. Some of the inkjet printers cost less than their cartridges, but the cartridges have a tenth as much ink as the ones for the more expensive printers. It's a real scam: they give you a shoddy printer practically free, and then shaft you on the ink. And I have no use for an all-in-one. I already have a scanner, and I use eFax for faxing, which has the significant advantage of giving me access to both receiving and sending faxes from my laptop when I travel. The eFax "printer" driver doesn't work right, but it's not necessary, since I can send a fax by emailing it to eFax.

All things considered, this is perhaps the smoothest new computer experience I've had. The first being my old Kaypro 2X.

And NeoOffice seems to be working fine. Except that it would not read the Word document my sister sent me.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SOME MORE MAC USAGE QUESTIONS:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to display the Finder and make it the active program? I use it so much that it's a nuisance to have to move the mouse pointer all the way over to the bottom left of the dock. CMD-TAB will scroll through and make it active, as indicated on the menu bar, but that does not cause it to be displayed.

In Windows I used Irfanview for simple image-editing tasks. Specifically changing BMP to JPG files (etc.) and changing the resolution of an image to reduce the file size (for emailing or use as an avatar). iPhoto will crop pictures, but won't change the resolution. I don't care to spend hundreds of dollars on Photoshop when all I ever do to images is change the file type or the resolution/file size. Irfanview is free, but seems to be unavailable for the Mac. The Gimp might work, but it requires X11, which I have been unable to install (see below).

I tried to install X11 from the distribution disk, but it would not install. So I tried to install it from a download. I downloaded the .DMG file, went through the steps, until it told me I could not install X11 because a newer version was already installed! So I tried to delete the .pkg file which the .dmg file had created, and it told me I cannot delete it because I don't have permission. I clicked on Get Info and Details, and it tells me I am the owner and I have permission to read and write the file (so I should also have permission to delete it). What's going on??? (Two issues: installing X11 and deleting unwanted files. This is not the first time I have been unable to delete a file.

In windows I can create a desktop shortcut that opens my browser to a specified site, so I don't have to first open the browser, and then go to bookmarks. Is there a way to do this on the Mac?

More questions are bound to be forthcoming. Thanks.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not free, but Photoshop Elements, which I use, is nice. And I think it's about $80, but I could be wrong. And it's a Mac program.

8. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 23 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]323946[/snapback]</div>
    ??? What do you mean, displayed? Cmd-Tab works great, brings Finder to the front. Oh, you mean you want to hide the other applications, so your desktop is clear? That calls for one of two things: cmd-opt-click on the desktop, hides all other open apps, or use Exposé, which should be F11, unless you remapped your keyboard. F11 hides everything to reveal your desktop, F10 shows the open windows in the active app, and F9 shows open windows in all apps. If you want to have fun, hold shift while invoking any of the Exposé views.
    Graphic Converter is $30 shareware, Photoshop Elements is a bit more, but a great application for the money. You can also search macupdate.com and versiontracker.com for more software.

Are you logged into an administrator account?

Just drag any bookmark from Safari to the desktop or your dock.

9. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 24 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]323946[/snapback]</div>

I hope you get this message before you spend money - iPhoto can change sizes and formats (and its very simple and powerful) - select a picture (or group of pictures) and select Export from under the file menu and choose Tiff, JPEG or PNG and select the size you wish. Using the automatic buttons also give you quick ways to reduce your resolution for web uses or emailing. Unless you really need to tweak these exactly in Photoshop, I think you'll find iPhoto does the trick for most common tasks.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Spot on fjef !

If the downsizing is being done for email, selection of the desired pictures followed by clicking on the email icon on the bottom menubar also gives resizing options.

To select multiple pictures: click, shif-click for a contiguous selection;
    cmd-click for discontiguous selections.
    For complex choices, drag to an album set up for the purpose.
    And of course, the more metadata added to pictures, the more versatile the filter.

All that said, graphic coverter is one excellent program -- well worth the shareware fee IMO.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 23 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]323957[/snapback]</div>
    CMD-TAB causes Finder (or whatever program I select) to be displayed as the active program, in the menu bar at the top of the screen, but does not cause its window to appear. If I use CMD-Tab to select the Finder, I see "Finder" in the menu bar, but I do not see the Finder window on the screen. I am not trying to hide the other applications. I am trying to bring the selected program to the front, and give focus to its window so I can begin typing without having to click on it.

If I have a program minimized but running (in the right-hand portion of the dock) and I use CMD_TAB to select it, it still remains minimized. I can select an action from the menu bar, but until I do that, I do not see its window at all. And if I then go back to the program I was running (e.g., typing this reply in Firefox) I cannot type into the reply window until I click the mouse on or in the window.

I am running OS X 10.4. I tried to find the build number, but offhand I don't know where to find it. But it should be the latest release.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 23 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]323957[/snapback]</div>
    I think so. Actually, I do not want to be, normally, but just yesterday I saw that I am listed as admin. I am the only account on the computer. I'd rather have a separate admin account that I log into only when needed. But apparently I am admin, and I still could not delete those files.
    I don't use Safari. I use Firefox. I tried this and nothing happens.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef @ Sep 24 2006, 03:52 AM) [snapback]324188[/snapback]</div>
    A thousand thanks!!! This worked. I had not previously found the Export button. They don't make it easy to find, nor is it intuitive to use. But doing what you suggested I can do what I need to do.

One less problem!

12. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 24 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]324463[/snapback]</div>

Programs aren't minimized, windows are. If you had a Finder window open when you cmd-tabbed to it, you would see that window, at least I do.

Try the other steps mentioned, and avoid minimizing, IMO. It's really useless. The better alternative is to hide the app (cmd-h).

13. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 25 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]324463[/snapback]</div>
    To find the build number you need to open 'About this Mac' under the Apple menu and cleck the 'More Info' button - lots of good stuff in there. Click on 'Software' to see the build number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 25 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]324463[/snapback]</div>
    I use Firefox instead of IE on a Windows machine for obvious reasons but not sure why you wouldn't use Safari on the Mac - it works great and is a lot nicer to look at. Anyway, if you drag the 'favicon' - the icon in the URL field, to the desktop or to the dock in either Firefox or Safari, you will save the page address.

14. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef @ Sep 24 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]324515[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know about that. I just switched to MAC, and I find Safari to be slugish, and not nearly as easy to use as Firefox.

I just wish that IE worked on MAC, but only for those few web sites that that require IE. I wanted to listen to the Redskins on my Mac today, via the Internet, but the plugins weren't there (I looked), for FireFox or Safari. So, I got out my PC Laptop, and hooked up the audio to my stereo, and there it worked.

15. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 25 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]324518[/snapback]</div>

If you install Flip4Mac WMV (http://www.flip4mac.com/) most of these incompatibilities with Windoes Media Player videos and audio, and streaming videos will disappear. You can also use VLC (www.videolan.org) to play anything that Quicktime will not play. VLC can usually be used to grab a stream from a live video site that is not Mac friendly - nearly everything can be played these days. There are still a few sites out there that will not work with a Mac because they have been made not to work with a Mac but there are not many left...

I'm sure there is a simple way to listen to your game on the Mac - what site are you using?

16. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef @ Sep 25 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]324524[/snapback]</div>
    I have Flip4Mac...hmm.

Here is the site:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=18552

When I use it, it's all digitized. Skips. You know what I mean? But on the IE, it works fine. I am not sure why.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef @ Sep 24 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]324515[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Both worked.

My Build number is 10.4.7

To drag the bookmarks I had to open "Manage Bookmarks." I had been trying to drag directly from the bookmarks drop-down menu.

I like Firefox. That's all. Maybe it's the baby duck syndrome. Firefox is the first browser I used other than IE, which, being MS, is of course garbage. But I like Firefox more than Safari. Hey, I wish I could have WordStar again. That was one beautiful, sensible word processor that actually worked. It did EVERYTHING I need a word processor to do, and it ran on a machine with 64 kilobytes of RAM!

18. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 25 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]324546[/snapback]</div>
    10.4.7 is the latest version of OS X - the build number is deeper in the System Profiler and looks like this:

Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8J135)

But knowing just the version number is usually good enough...

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have downloaded and installed both VLC and Flip4Mac, and neither of them will play WMV files. VLC plays the sound only, with an error window. Flip4Mac gives only an error. These are not copy-protected files.

I see that Microsoft offers a version of Media Player 9 for the Mac. But I am very reluctant to install anything from MS on my Mac. If anyone can write a program that would make the Mac vulnerable to malware, it would be Microsoft.

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I know how you feel Daniel. I don't use it very often (maybe 5 times total ?), but the single MS app I have on my mac is WMP. I do make a point of quitting the program as soon as I done with it, unlike other apps I leave running (but hidden) weeks on end.

And actually, MS has or at least had some superb Macintosh programmers. Unconstrained by marketers who stuffed garbage like p-code down their throats, they wrote some really good s/w in the day. In general, MS treats Apple customers with more respect than it's Windows customers, because they are in a competitive environment. I don't mean that the s/w will be better, just that MS wil take less liberties with their intrusive marketing, 'asset leveraging' aka shitting on customers, spyware etc.