1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Official HOW DO I USE MY MAC? Thread.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 19, 2006.

1. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 20 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]322125[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if you looked at Brother or not, but I've been impressed with their Mac support for their products since the beginning of the OS 9-X transition. This page should be useful to you in identifying models/and drivers for many printers:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303057

Still, best to check the manufacturer's web site for up-to-date news/drivers specially for models not listed. T

Oooo! You're such a flirt! I'm going to have to keep my eye on you! ;)

Hmmmm. Well you know in all my Mac years, this question has never popped up in my head. I usually download directly from developer web sites and no one has burned me yet. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask this question. I'm saying to deal directly with developers, developers who have been supporting the platform for years, and you'll not likely run into a malware issue.

There's a Universal Binary of Freecell here:

http://randomoracle.com/freecell/

Welcome from the Dark Side. BTW, Love the kitty.

-Donna

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eric: I think I'll hold off on Media Player until/if I encounter a WMV stream or file that I really need to play. So far nothing's been that important. As for MS Mac programmers being better than MS Windows programmers, it's the company philosophy I mistrust more than the programmers themselves.

Donna: I bought the HP laser printer a week ago. Works fine, and is delightfully faster than inkjet. I may be totally off base here, but I trust HP's quality more than Brother's. Also, according to the salesman this one is designed without the part that goes bad (cylinder?) if you don't print enough copies. I sometimes go days without printing anything, since I have few snail-mail correspondents. Mostly I use email, or I fax from the computer.

How does giving Bill the boot make me a flirt?

I did end up downloading the Freecell game you suggested. That was about a week ago also. The chess game that came on the Mac is not great. I've not been able to find a satisfactory strength level. It's either too strong, or really stupid. I wish Chessmaster was available for the Intel Mac. (It's available for the PowerPC Mac.)

NOW A QUESTION:

Windows allows mass-renaming of files. You select multiple files, right-click and select Rename, and whatever name you type will be applied to all the selected files, with a number in parentheses appended. Is there any way to do anything similar on the Mac? Or must renaming be done by hand, one file at a time?

Mass renaming is very useful, for example, if you have 25 pictures of yourself standing in front of the Eiffel tower, and the camera has named them DSG.0001.jpg, DSG0002.jpg, etc., and you want to name them MeEiffel01.jpg, MeEiffel02.jpg, etc. One at a time can get really tedious.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Mass renaming: there might be a shareware for this task, but unix is always available ..

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 29 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]325589[/snapback]</div>
    I think there is a script to do all kinds of batch renaming. I am not on my MAC right now so I can't give you the exact instructions, but look under script menu.

5. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 29 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]325600[/snapback]</div>

A Better Finder Rename is an incredible application, you can do any kind of renaming with it.

Adobe Bridge can do this as well, or possibly even Elements (not sure), but nothing matches the power and ease of A Better Finder Rename.

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Sep 29 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]325610[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that "A Better Finder Rename" is a great application, but I think it might be an overkill for Daniel. He just wants to do simple batch file rename. I don't think he has Adobe Bridge.

7. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 29 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]325589[/snapback]</div>
    Download Renamer4Mac. Fabulous program and it's free. Allows very complex renaming.

8. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 29 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]325640[/snapback]</div>

That's awesome. Good to know.

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Daniel, I think you got your answer(s), but this is another example of possibly asking the wrong question.

If the question is: I want a flexible way to group, categorize, and flexibly search through my gazillion photos, a Mac person might answer: use iPhoto, and apply keywords in batch.

Try to think of the intent, not the mechanism used in the past.

11. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 29 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]325677[/snapback]</div>
    Rather a good point. Howver, I personally also categorize the files themselves--most commonly, by dividing them into folders and subfolders. I prefer that my categorization not be application-dependent. Using keywords will certainly help you sort through them in iPhoto, but categorizing things at the file level helps with archiving, emailing to others, and importing into different applications (I don't find iPhoto's keywords function robust enough).

Extending the OP's example, I would have folders like this:

------------
    Photos folder
    ---America folder
    ------California folder
    --------BigSur1.jpg
    --------BigSur2.jpg
    --------Redwoods1.jpg
    --------Redwoods2.jpg
    ------Virginia folder
    --------Charlottesville1.jpg
    --------Charlottesville2.jpg
    ---Europe folder
    ------Paris folder
    --------EiffelTower1.jpg
    --------EiffelTower2.jpg
    ------------

That's just a quick example..

12. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

iPhoto doesn't use IPTC for its keywords, which is a major weakness.

The shift in asking about what you intend to do it, rather than how you used to do it, is a really good point. I'm going to use that as I help more switchers in the future.

A fantastic reference for tracking your images is The DAM Book.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

ScottR and DavidTO, your criticisms of iPhoto are certainly valid. I hope I wasn't misunderstood in saying that iPhoto is the be all and end all of cataloging photos (although it works just fine for my purposes).

I was trying to emphasize that many smart ways to solve a problem are available on a Macintosh, if one considers the general problem, rather than trying to imitate a prior solution.

If I may be so bold as to prosletyze a bit here also: Making the effort to abstract the problem at hand will often lead to an elegant and intuitive solution available only on the Mac, and even more appreciation of the computer, because it is quite clear that the designers think this way too, in their pursuit of elegance, efficiency, and interface consistency, unlike the hodgepodge of tools windows is famous for.

14. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 29 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]325710[/snapback]</div>

You weren't. :D

15. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 29 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]325710[/snapback]</div>

My main criticism wasn't of iPhoto itself (though it has its faults) but of making yourself beholden to a particular application. For example, there are applications out there that store usernames/passwords for web sites. I don't use them; what if the developer drops support and there's a conflict with an OS update? What if the data file becomes corrupted (and, worse, that corrupted copy becomes your backup copy before you catch it) and you can't open it? What if you find a much better app, and you can't import it? I simply keep a folder with text files listing the info, one per site (I'm the only one with access to my Mac, so I'm not worried about someone getting a hold of them).

Trusting iPhoto (or any other similar app, for that matter) for all of your photo organization can be dangerous. Its database can be corrupted so that even if you still have the photos, the keywords are gone (and will you remember the details?). And I've seen databases get messed up when applications (including iPhoto) and their libraries were updated.

When the photos are divided into folder and subfolder, you are far less likely to lose your organization--whether that be through an update, change of applications, or the like. Of course, you can lose it all in either case (which is why I backup), but I prefer to KISS and reduce my exposure.

One reason I like Renamer4Mac (or other wonderful, free utilities, like EasyFind) is that they get things done without forcing you to commit yourself to them.

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Well said, ScottR. I think David was making a similar point when he pointed out that iPhoto does not use a standard convention for keywords. My *usual* approach to these matters is to accept proprietary formats IF I can backup to a generic format. StickyBrain is a good example of this.

iPhoto does not quite reach that bar, but the native organization of the pictures in the finder is accesible to all if iPhoto dies, and the database is easy to backup, so I accept the trade-off to gain utilility. What can I say: keywords, smart albums, and fast, non-contiguous selection of pictures is *great* functionality used together.

In the meantime I too, hope that the Apple universe will standardize on xml across all their data structures.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks all. I'm going to check out Renamer4Mac.

For me, with my simple needs, I like the file name to describe the photo. Then I use folders for categories, such as "Pictures of Me," "Scotland," "Durrand Glacier," etc., for specific trips, and so on. But applying keywords in one specific photo program, which I may not always use, and which family to whom I email photos don't have, is no substitute for descriptive filenames. And if there are, say, 5 photos of me on Tumbledown Peak, and 10 of the ascent of Fronalp, and 15 of me hang-gliding, etc., then some kind of batch renaming is a real time saver.

18. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Sep 28 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]325390[/snapback]</div>
    I picked up a Brother HL-5250DN back in June (replacing an HP LaserJet 4MP) and I love it. Fast and I love the duplex function. Runs perfectly with my Macs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 28 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]325127[/snapback]</div>
    Download and install the free Flip4Mac WMV player. Play WMV video (everthing WiMp/Mac can play) right in QuickTime player.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 29 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]325857[/snapback]</div>
    I did, and it didn't work at first. But now it does. Maybe it needed a system reboot? (Which I did when a different program demanded it.)

Thanks. And thanks also to whoever it was who first recommended it.

BTW, I bought Shredder Chess Basic, and so I finally have a good chess program. Apparently there are stronger programs, but I don't need a stronger program. I needed one with simple graphics (I cannot play on an ornate chess set) and the ability to dumb it down. Shredder fills the bill.

20. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]325981[/snapback]</div>
    You shouldn't need a reboot, but you would have to quit and relaunch your browsers and all QuickTime applications.

You installed the free player, right? The pay versions will only play the first 30 secs...