1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Official HOW DO I USE MY MAC? Thread.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 19, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 30 2006, 07:18 AM) [snapback]325998[/snapback]</div>
    ?????

You mean the free version?

2. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 30 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]326148[/snapback]</div>

No. The free version, which allows WMV playback only (no conversion, etc.) will play it all. But if you install the pay versions instead and don't pay for them, they will work in demo mode, only playing back the first 30 secs. Of course, if you pay for them, they'll work without restrictions (and give you many other options like editing, conversion, export with encoding profiles, etc.), but if you just want to watch the the videos, there's no reason to install the pay versions.

The Player is free; the pay-for products are Player Pro, Studio, Studio Pro, and Studio Pro HD.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aha! Yes, I installed the free version.

I was confused for a moment, because some software has only one version, but it's crippled until you pay for it.

I have no interest in editing WMV files. Not for now anyway.

4. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

I just installed Perian. It's supposed to allow QT Player to play all the other formats that it doesn't play natively, except fro wmv.

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 1 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]326437[/snapback]</div>
    I was looking at that, but the 0.5 version number made me leery. Plus I already have plugins for most of those formats and I worried about conflicts--especially since some of the plugins I have allow me to SAVE in those formats.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 1 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]326437[/snapback]</div>
    Seems to me that WMV was the only format I could not play already. So what's the point of a player that won't play WMV? And now that I can play WMV (I think it was Flip4Mac that does it) I don't need any other players.

7. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 1 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]326730[/snapback]</div>

?

So don't use it. :D

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 2 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]326976[/snapback]</div>
    I'm just saying, what's the point of installing a player that only plays the media types that the native Mac system plays already?

9. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 2 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]327170[/snapback]</div>

Oh, because there's others that it doesn't play natively, aside from WMV. But if you're not having that trouble, then don't bother. Some QT will open, and it'll play the audio, but all you see is white. It's more of a put it in the back of your head, and use it only when you need it kinda thing.

10. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 29 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]325589[/snapback]</div>
    I have an HP 940c which I've had for at least six years now. It sees very light activity. I believe I picked it up free with the purchase of a Sapphire iMac way back when. From a workgroup side, I prefer Xerox printers over HP. Midrange (home-office) I like Brother lasers.

Through the years, it's been my experience that HP's support of Mac drivers, PPDs that actually work, etc. etc. has been abysmal. I'm also not a fan of their pseudo postscript translation. Moreso, I don't get the salesman's statement. Is he contending that there are no parts in the printer that will fail now? (lol). I'd find it easier to believe that he gets a better spiff on the HP product than on the Brother. But as long as you're happy, all is good.

It appeals to my happy mac side ;)

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Donna: Sounds like you know more about printers than I do. I was just going by a general (good) opinion (maybe mistaken?) I've had of HP.

No, the salesman was not saying there are no parts that will fail. He was saying that one kind of laster printer (with a "drum"???) will dry out if it goes too long without printing. I'd heard that before: that the problem with laser printers was they're great if you print hundreds of copies a day, but if you go several days without printing they dry out. What the salesman told me was that the HP Laserjet 1022 works on a different system (doesn't have a drum???) and will be fine even if it goes days without printing.

I'm actually a lousy flirt. I'm too shy.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Salespeople providing unbiased technical information. That would be at least 3 oxymorons in one sentence.

I have an Apple laserwriter 4/600 happily chugging along since 1993. I think I have bought toner carts 3 times over the years -- not exactly heavy use.

Just this year an HP networked color laser joined the family, and I swear I will never buy an inkjet cartridge again. iDonna is right about spotty support from HP of Apple products over the years, but my color printer works great. I don't really understand the accusation that HP's PS is crappy, since it is THEIR product; other manufacturers either license from HP, or come up with clones of varying quality.

IMO the worse criticism I can throw HP's way is their placemet of chips in toner cartridges to ensure early obsolescence and/or prevent toner refill. They don't do it all the time, so I recommend either informed buying, or stayig away from HP if in doubt.

13. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 5 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]328616[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Brother HL-5250DN. Sometimes 1-2 weeks can go by between uses, and the drum has yet to dry out