1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The orange Hybrid battery lock was the problem!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by DaleT, Apr 13, 2019.

1. DaleT

DaleT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys:

I posted below about my Prius C w/only 72,000 that gave a hybrid message and would not go into "ready", and gave no trouble codes. I thought I'd check continuity in the orange hybrid lock and check the battery for voltage. When I put the lock back on it then went into ready mode. Does that mean that the lock was just loose? And is this common?

Thx,
    Dale

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, and no. are you sure no one was back there fiddling with it?

3. imgprojts

imgprojts New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was about to post about this. So my hybrid battery is nearing it's magic smoke moment, and I removed the battery plastic covers from under front of the seats. Just in case I need to observe stuff you know. It's very safe in there from what I've noticed. So no real reason for the covers other than aesthetics I figured. I took the kids to school and then picked them up. Right before hitting the gas pedal to go home, I got the triangle of death lights but the car does this from time to time and I can always get home. I'm preparing a diy Lithium pack that will sit in the spare tire well for that day. But this time, I got home and I tried resetting the error by unplugging the 12v battery and waiting 10 minutes. Did that twice and it wouldn't go into ready. But the battery is not that bad and Dr.Prius showed ok voltage in both the hybrid and 12v systems. What actually happened was that my kid stepped on the plug and pulled down the handle. The orange plug has two connections. The big connection for the battery current, and a little connection for the computer to know that the plug is installed. The little connection gets unplugged when you pull the handle down. Then when you pull the handle out, the big battery breaking jumper gets disconnected. So in my situation, the pack was just peachy but the computer was freaking out with the light show. This morning I realized that this could be the case, so I plugged the 12v system back from leaving it off over night and I simply installed the plug, which I had removed to examine it's functionality a little better. I made sure that the little white connector from the car did actually seat properly when pulling the handle up. Sure enough, the thing turned on to test lights, then after a second press to ready mode. That was annoying, but I learned something new that the car will do given these inputs. And I'm tired from just thinking about it the entire night....or I could be totally wrong and the car will leave me stranded at work on Monday. Such is my Prius C journey. It's currently giving me intermittent issues with the TPMS and the keyless entry SKS system, but running okay.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    )backs away slowly(