1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The origin of the Prius technology.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan45, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Dan45

Dan45 Beyond Oil

I have posted this in several locations but I guess I am open to suggestion if there's a better place than the forums.

Contrary to popular opinion, hybrids were not created in Japan. Nor were they created by an automobile company. The hybrid drive system we know today was created in the late 1960s by three researchers—Dr. Baruch Berman, Dr. George Gelb, and Dr. Neal Richardson—working for the Power Systems Div. of TRW Inc. (a predecessor to today’s TRW Automotive Inc. that also was a major aerospace and defense contractor) under the leadership of Bob Bromberg. “Bob was always asking probing questions like: ‘Why can’t we violate the second law of thermodynamics?’,” says George Gelb. “He was firmly convinced that batteries and electrical storage devices really made sense because of their thermodynamic advantages.” This led to an investigation of all known battery technologies, driving emissions, what a car has to do under various conditions, and what the power supply must do under those circumstances. “We came to the conclusion very quickly,” says Gelb, “that battery power alone would never fly in a commercially viable electric automobile.”
    That didn’t stop the trio, or their boss, because there was more to this quest than a pure technical exercise. “Even back then some of us were wondering about the long-term emission and geopolitical ramifications of using so much gas and oil for transportation,” Gelb claims. However, an alternative needed to be found. “We theorized that, somewhere in the future, there would be a different type of powertrain, and that there would need to be a transitional technology to get us from here—the late 1960s—to there. To us, the hybrid was an evolutionary path to that future.” They postulated that running an engine at a constant speed and driving the output into a planetary gearset where one part of that gearset would rotate at a variable speed in response to what was required at the wheels would do the trick. So they developed what they eventually called the “Electro-Mechanical Transmission” (EMT).

THE ELEMENTS

To make up the difference between the road demand and engine output, the design team inserted an electrical path that would supply power on demand. The output shaft also was attached to a traction motor known as the “torquer” that could operate bimodally by either adding torque or subtracting it through regenerative braking. The speed difference was made up by a device appropriately called the “speeder” that acted as a constant-torque electrical generator. Gelb and his associates modeled the EMT on a computer and “drove” it for the equivalent of several hundred thousand miles. “We used those simulations to vary the size of the battery pack and the weight of the vehicle, and drove it over the precursor to the driving cycle the EPA uses to this day,” says Gelb. From this simulation work, they determined the ideal system would encompass a 150-lb. to 200-lb. lead-acid or NiCad battery, a 100 in.3 gasoline engine producing 100 hp, a 30-hp traction motor, and a 10-kW to 15-kW electric generator. The TRW patent lawyers said the device was patentable, but that the U.S. Patent Office would require a working version before they issued any paperwork. It was time to go from theory to practice.

BUILDING A SYSTEM

“We got hold of a 1600 cc VW Beetle engine because we could independently control its air-fuel ratio, added a 10-kW synchronous Westinghouse generator rated to 10,000 rpm, a 27-hp DC motor from GE, and gutted a Chrysler Torqueflite automatic transmission for its planetary gearset,” recounts Gelb. To this they added a small gearbox so they could match the ratios of these disparate pieces. Cast steel flywheels warranted to a maximum speed of 900 rpm—which corresponded with a 65 mph road speed—were driven by V-belts to simulate the vehicle mass, and dynamometer dynamic braking was used to simulate road loads. Remember, this took place during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Men were going to the moon with computers that had less power than today’s handheld calculators. “We had to handle thousands of amperes and voltages in the neighborhood of 300 volts,” says Gelb, “and we were forced to use thyristors in place of today’s power transistors.” The group created the circuits that allowed the torquer to run as both a motor and generator, as well as circuits that would let the control system interface with the battery pack and pull and return power in a controlled fashion. Another circuit was created that would allow the speeder to run as a constant-torque, variable-speed generator. They used a potentiometer as the accelerator pedal, and included a neutral position that commanded zero torque.
    “It took the better part of a year to build, and we drove it on the dyno for another year,” recounts Gelb. This, however, wasn’t enough for the people at the patent office. They wanted a working EMT-equipped vehicle before they would process the paperwork. “So we found a beat-up 1962 Pontiac Tempest —the one with the rear transaxle and ‘rope drive’—and fitted our system to it. The engine was up front with the torquer and speeder, while the batteries were placed in the trunk. We drove it around until the patent people were happy, and then put the pieces back on the dynamometer.”

END OF THE BEGINNING

Not long after, folks who would form the nucleus of the Environmental Protection Agency contacted the team. Tasked with coming up with an emissions drive cycle and curious about the magnitude of a problem known as “cold start,” they asked the EMT’s inventors to drive the device on the dyno and report back. “We told them that, without a catalyst, the first 30 seconds of cold-start driving blew through the proposed hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide standards, even with the EMT,” says Gelb. They later received funding from the EPA to investigate future automotive battery technologies. This funding included a program to demonstrate the EMT’s fuel saving potential. Paired with a 1974 Dodge Dart running the federal driving cycle, the device showed a 30% increase in fuel economy, and a reduction in overall emissions. “And that’s what we did through about the mid-1970s,” says Gelb. The EMT was taken around to the domestic as well as the major foreign manufacturers, but all turned it down because of its cost and complexity. “After that, the whole project was mothballed,” he says, and the pieces were scattered to the wind.
    According to Gelb, Toyota didn’t infringe in TRW’s patents to create its Synergy Drive as they had expired (the first was issued in 1970 with the final revision made in 1974) by the time the Toyota Prius hit the market. In reality, he says, the Toyota system takes advantage of today’s technology, inverted the EMT’s input and output shaft drive, and added NiMH batteries and a utility Gelb and his associates once considered: the ability to turn the engine off and drive only on electric power at low speeds. Gelb also adds this: In the 1990s, under the auspices of TRW’s Center for Automotive Technology, they visited a domestic automaker with an updated EMT design, only to be told it would never use the TRW system in place of its planned electric motor-assist design. Ironically, claims Gelb, that same automaker “now licenses Toyota’s technology for its small SUV, a design based on our original work.”

Cristino, ewxlt66 and JMD like this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Either here in the main Gen II forum or the main Gen III forum would be my suggestion, but not in multiple places please.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is the US Patent Office does not require 'a working version' but the TRW patent lawyers might have. The sad tale is the Pace patent case. I don't have access to the sealed court papers but I continue to be disturbed by this case.

I see no direct evidence that Toyota 'stole' Severinsky's work and a lot to suggest Toyota derived their work from TRW. I suspect Severinsky used the same TRW source. It is not uncommon that independent engineering teams come up with similar technical approaches that can be traced to a shared root. But there are no provisions in current patent law for parallel, independent development of similar inventions.

It remains one of the harder, intractable problems.

Bob Wilson

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for this... Every once in a while someone mentions knowing someone who knows somone who invented the Prius hybrid system... Now I have a better sense of the specific people worthy of making such a claim...

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...there is a Youtube video previously posted around Jan_2012 under Hybrid News. US DOE had hybrid prototype car program in the 1970's, the car even has some resemblance to the Prius. Automakers including Japan were involved. What Toyota did is still "earth shaking" they took the hybrid idea seriously (during SUV era) and did the necessary and substantial R&D to make it commercially viable.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1898 The Austrian Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, at age 23, built his first car, the Lohner Electric Chaise. It was the world's first front-wheel-drive. Porsche's second car was a hybrid, using an internal combustion engine to spin a generator that provided power to electric motors located in the wheel hubs. On battery alone, the car could travel nearly 40 miles.

1900A Belgian carmaker, Pieper, introduced a 3-1/2 horsepower "voiturette" in which the small gasoline engine was mated to an electric motor under the seat. When the car was "cruising," its electric motor was in effect a generator, recharging the batteries. But when the car was climbing a grade, the electric motor, mounted coaxially with the gas engine, gave it a boost. The Pieper patents were used by a Belgium firm, Auto-Mixte, to build commercial vehicles from 1906 to 1912.

1902 A series-hybrid runabout competed against steam and gas-powered cars in a New York to Boston reliability test.

1905An American engineer named H. Piper filed a patent for a petrol-electric hybrid vehicle. His idea was to use an electric motor to assist an internal-combustion engine, enabling it to achieve 25 mph.

1916Two prominent electric-vehicle makers — Baker of Cleveland and Woods of Chicago — offered hybrid cars. Woods claimed that their hybrid reached a top speed of 35 mph and achieved fuel efficiency of 48 mpg. The Woods Dual Power was more expensive and less powerful than its gasoline competition, and therefore sold poorly.

1968 - 1971Three scientists working at TRW, a major auto supplier, created a practical hybrid powertrain. Dr. Baruch Berman, Dr. George H. Gelb and Dr. Neal A. Richardson developed, demonstrated and patented the system—designated as an electromechanical transmission (EMT) providing brisk vehicle performance with an engine smaller than required by a conventional internal combustion engine drive. Many of the engineering concepts incorporated in that system are used in today's hybrids.

Even more info after those dates.

Source: History of Hybrid Vehicles | Hybrid Cars

R-P and PriusCamper like this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome... Thanks for posting that @dorunron

8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1917 example in the Museum of the Toyota importer in Holland :)
    According to the bylines it is one of two still in existence and "it took 80 years before another series hybrid was produced: the 1997 Prius" (not sure that is correct since there was recently a (one off prototype???) 1982 hybrid Reliant for sale on Ebay...)
    [​IMG]

Edit: upon careful examination of my photo collection, I think I made an error and forgot to take a pic of the Woods Dual Power... The above is a full electric 1912 Baker, which modelled for grandma Duck's car :)
    (Pic looks altered as I removed the Dutch text, which was unreadable because of the flash anyway)
    [​IMG]

dorunron likes this.
  9. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the "supercar" era.

DBCassidy

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do not know if Reliants ever got exported to the US.

There biggest seller was a fiber glass body three wheeler, the engine of which was used in the car in question, they also did a small four wheel car.

The only other car that they made to my knowledge was called the Scimitar, a performance fiber glass sports saloon. To start with was a 2+2 with strait six ford 3ltr engine and later became an estate car with a ford V6 3ltr.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the info I found on the Reliant. Looking at the spec's and the design, it looks basically the same as the Prius. Major difference is the traction battery. Lead Acid Batteries versus NIMH.

Lucas Hybrid Car

This one came out in 1982. I don't think it was ever exported to this side of the pond.

Ron

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ron it never went into production for domestic market or export.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do understand that, maybe I should have reworded my post. I was replying to your comment in post #10. You said "I do not know if Reliants ever got exported to the US."
    Ron

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry Ron miss understanding of your post.

John.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand John, like I said I should have worded my post a little better and added more information. It is a shame that the car never went into production. History shows over and over how the principle has been introduced but mainstream society always seemed to reject it. It is only now that energy cost's are higher that folks are beginning to understand the value related to the principle behind the technology.

Ron