1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Pandemic DIY Home Improvement Projects

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Salamander_King, Nov 24, 2020.

1. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In view of possibly impending snow, I got the snow blower (new a year ago and ran only three hours) out of the shed and tried to start it -- no go, even with the electric start. And, yes, I had run it dry last year before putting it away. Getting at any more of the carburetor than the drain plug and the bowl bolt (and even pinching off the gas line; of course I had refilled the tank before trying to start the thing) would have entailed major disassembly. I had drained a little gas on Saturday, but that didn't solve the problem. Drained more gas today -- and confirmed my suspicion that polystyrene and gasoline are not a good combination -- and it started.

Next year, I think I will run it dry *and* drain the carburetor.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why was there polystyrene in the gas? Naplam can be fun, but not for fuel systems.

In the first tank after storage, I add some 91% rubbing alcohol or acetone. May not help with this, but it will help get rid of any water and gunk that might be left in the bowl and fuel lines.

3. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No polystyrene in the gas: I was using a polystyrene container to collect the drained gas.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay. Your issue was just the old gas in the carb then. Draining the bowl beforing is best, but if you forgot, the rubbing alcohol, acetone, or gas dryer should help.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Polystyrene appears to be the most soluble. Several others 'give up' slowly. Polypropylene is favored for organic solvent resistance.

Equipped with such facts, it would be sad if some PC-er did a 'practical joke' with polysty.
    ==
    Concrete roofs in Puerto Rico are usually horizontal, and always leak. Making goo with gas and polysty is standard practice for patching them. Lasts about a year because polysty dissolves in UV light as well.