1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Passion of The McRib...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Nov 9, 2011.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I understand the confusion Bra... especially since you are confused about calling it "mystery meat"... I understand the patty in question is designed by a renowned french chef, and nutrition was one of the qualities Micky D's wanted him to make sure was included in the combination of stuff that went into the constructed meat patty/McRib... it has some less that "prime" cuts, ummmm, OK, the majority of the cuts are not any prime meats... but they aren't poison.

Neither is sausage... or salami... or a plethora of other "ground and blended meat-mostly-or-so" foods which are both equally configured, just not pre-formed into a bun shape... yet, consumed in some quantity, by yours truly... :D

I am not a die-hard fan of the McRib... but I can understand the draw... :hungry:

2. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's not fake if it has meat in it...

And as far as I know... Micky D's doesn't claim it to be all meat...

Ummmmmmm...

I'll bet Bra...

You haven't had a good pate... I have...

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was talking about two different things: Meat on the one hand, and the newer, more realistic TVP products on the other. When I quit eating meat (for ethical reasons) about 44 years ago, the craving for it gradually decreased, and finally turned into disgust by about year 4 or 5.

Taste is mostly habit. I chose to develop my taste away from meat, and the result is that even the fake meats turn my stomach. My reason was ethical, but a vegetarian diet, and a vegetarian plus fis diet are both more healthful than the diet with excessive amounts of meat that most Americans eat.

I've lived both ways: Lots of meat until I was 19, no meat, fish, or fowl from then until I was about 52, and since then, no meat or fowl. And I find it pathetic when people insist that they could not give up meat because they like the taste of it. All taste is a matter of habit, and people can direct their taste. If people don't care about their health, that's their right. If they dispute the science of nutrition, that's silly, but it, too, is their right. But I can testify from personal experience that a well-prepared vegetarian meal tastes as good to this former-inveterate meat-eater as meat ever did.

I chose to alter my taste preferences, and anyone who cares about their health, or the environment, or the suffering of animals, can do the same.

You're probably right that I've not eaten pate. I never liked liver. I'm sure I could have developed a taste for it if I'd chosen to. I did not choose to, and I'm sure that now I'd find it disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  4. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, how about this take on it... It isn't that I couldn't give up meat. It is that I do not WANT to give up meat. I am a carnivore. Animals were put on this planet for me to enjoy.
    [​IMG]

5. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You gonna heat up some buns for the sausages there Dad... cause now I'm hungry... :hungry:

6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It think it's true you can dehabitualize (is that a word) yourself from craving meat.

When I don't have some sort of meat protein with my meal, I feel unsatisfied. This causes me to want to eat more of anything (usually something starchy) to feel satisfied. If I eat a portion of meat along with my meal, I think overall I feel more satisfied and therefore eat less.

This desire for eating animal derived protein can probably be overcome but in the short term it will be disruptive to me. In the long term I think it will be a benefit to quit eating as much meat.

I want to become an part-time vegetarian. That is, eat vegetarian when I have a choice, and eat meat when I don't. For instance, going to a party or social setting, if meat present I will consume it because I don't want to have dietary restrictions or impose upon the host. So I'll be vegetarian when it's convenient, I won't when it's not.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, for two years I was a solid vegetarian. But I've changed. I call myself a "Mostlytarian" now. Because I think it's actually helpful and healthful to eat meat occasionally and include it in your diet.

However, I do think most people, especially in the USA, eat way too much meat.

It's not the occasional Steak or McRib that is the problem. It's the Sausage McMuffin for breakfast, The Ruben for lunch and the Steak for dinner....repeat in various forms daily...that is the problem.

I know I feel better when I'm eating most vegetarian. And I trust my body will actually "tell me" when It wants meat. So even though I admit to my weakness for the McRib? And I don't run from a grill of cooking red meat?

I'm a "Mostlytarian"....so I don't get the cool panache of being a true Vegetarian or Vegan...because I "shudder" eat meat. And I also upset my blood dripping from their teeth Carnivore friends by being the weird guy that will order a salad instead of steak or burger.

It's the best of times, it's the worst of times...but I actually think it's the best diet to try to embrace.

It's the juxtaposition that actually I would under normal circumstance shun the McRib, that makes it's yearly Siren Song to me so insidiously evil.

I'm always a little relieved when the "limited time only" passes and the temptation is removed.

8. danielarichman

danielarichman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Your post caused me to shoot coffee out of my nose.

1 person likes this.
  9. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

:drum:

As a musician... I understand completely Bra...

And funny as all hell...

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's your right. Eat all the meat you like. If you don't care about your health, or the environment, that's your right also.

That is a religious claim that is too preposterous to even comment on.

It is true that protein suppresses appetite more than carbs. A diet that has 10% of its calories from protein will leave you feeling hungry and lead to the consumption of more total calories. 15% of calories from protein seems to be the ideal. Above 15% there is no benefit from eating more protein, as far as appetite goes. And a diet that is too high in protein will mess with your metabolism and is deleterious to health.

But there is no need for the protein to come from animals.

When I ate meat (and I ate too much of it) I was obese. When I quit eating meat I lost weight without even trying. I was still overweight, but less so. Meat in moderation probably won't hurt you. But most Americans eat it to excess, and that is a big part of the reason for America's epidemic of obesity.

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably.

1 person likes this.
  12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That reminds me of the high school bathroom graffiti that said "Flush twice. It's a long way to the kitchen."

2 people like this.
  13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time for a lab analysis of the Mcrib, my guess is the gelatinous residue served is 50%+refined sugar, the most addicted to substance on the planet (err,sans oxygen and H2O)

Takes more energy for your body to process that gunk then it gives to your body as nutritional value, meaning, don't bother;)

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the McRib made of, anyway? - The Week

Ooof. What's the meat made of?
    Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together.

1 person likes this.
  15. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    McRibs, no onions no pickles please. Last time they had 2 McRibs special. This time they only have the McRibs, fries, drink combo.

1 person likes this.
  16. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely an over abundance of meat glue.

1 person likes this.
  17. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    God forbid it have any kind of real food touching it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants" Michael Pollard (i think)

Good advice always.

I remember reading once about a man from Germany who was in the USA, visiting, and went into a McD's and ordered a beer. He was informed that, in the US, there is no beer available at McD's.
    He looked around, and said, "you mean all these people are here for the food?"

I haven't been in a McD's for a very long time. I think I met someone there the last time, and had a "salad"... had to pick a lot of crap out of it before I could eat it...

1 person likes this.
  19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been to the Micky D's at the Frankfort Germany Airport. The beer isn't bad. Makes a good airport quick refreshment stop

Also had beer at a Micky D's in France. Their burgers are much better than the US burgers...Which isn't saying much.

Micky D's in India has two cooking areas and two serving counters, one side includes some meat, the other is vegetarian. I only had coffee there so can't rate the food. I was going to check out the vegi fare later but seriously sprained an ankle the next day and had to cut my trip short.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a beer when I was at a German McDonald's just so I could say I had a beer at McDonald's. Not surprisingly, it was the worst beer I had in Germany.