1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Potential Pitfalls of Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Right. Or the energy involved in shale extraction. Lee should be sensitive to that issue since it is part and parcel of the gasoline in the Rocky Mountain region.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When the energy cost of petroleum is calculated, all of that is included.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You all should read this:

Energy returned on energy invested - Wikipedia

Some highlights:

"In physics, energy economics, and ecological energetics, energy returned on energy invested (EROEI or ERoEI); or energy return on investment (EROI), is the ratio of the amount of usable energy (the exergy) delivered from a particular energy resource to the amount of exergy used to obtain that energy resource."

Coal: 80
    Oil production: 20
    Wind: 18
    Oil imports 2007: 12
    Natural gas 2005: 10
    Photovoltaic: 6.8
    Oil shale: 1.1-15.8 depending on type and location
    Ethanol corn: 1.3

#63 Lee Jay, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you speak of cost, are you talking about environmental cost, or the lost lives in the middle east?

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used the words "energy cost" for a reason.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood, cost is a relative term.

7. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    GHG of PV compared to coal, by NREL back when panel efficiency was ~ 14%

Spoiler:
    40 grams per kWh for PV, 1000 grams for coal.
    Now that PV is closer to 20% efficient, it is ~ 37x cleaner than coal.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, well, duh! Coal is close to 100% carbon.

So if the above is true, a kWh of battery production production produces about the same CO2 as around 20 gallons of gasoline. That means the 78kWh battery produces around the same CO2 as 1,560 gallons of gasoline which, in a Prime, would move the car about 85,000 miles. That's probably more miles than the engine in a Prime will produce over its lifetime.

9. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well Duh, that is the point; similar to but somewhat worse than your favored oil
    It is not, where Tesla is concerned ... or any battery manufacturer who cares to operate like Tesla

10. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This article from China published in 2017 outlines local battery production energy costs

56 kWh of NMC battery is associated with ~ 5800 Kg CO2e emissions of which ~ 40% are electricity. Produced with clean electricity, the Tesla Model 3 SR produced in China would then have 5800*0.6 = 3800 Kg associated battery manufacturer emissions.

Using 11 Kg/gallon CO2e emissions from combusting gasoline in a car, a 50 mpg Prius could travel 50*3800/11 ~ 18,000 miles before the GHG cost of the battery manufacture is covered.

That is for the first iteration of the battery. Subsequent recycled batteries will do much better.

----
    The article in Table 6 also summarizes GREET studies in 2015 that report ~ 35 Kg CO2e per kWh battery. I think GREET presumes national grid average CO2 emissions, resulting in 37*56 = 2072 Kg CO2e emissions. Tesla battery production will be much cleaner, and Tesla battery recycling even more.

----

This entire thread is FUD and trolling.

#70 Oniki, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice article:
    One interesting find in the paper:

The data on American batteries come from the GREET-2015 Model of the Argonne National Laboratory. Generally speaking, GHG emissions during the manufacturing process of Chinese LFP, NMC, and LMO batteries are respectively 3, 2.8 and 2.9 times greater than those of their American counterparts. Anode active materials and wrought aluminum are the main causes of the differences. Due to complexity of the process and uncertainty of the data, the GHG emissions in production of anode materials show an apparent difference with those in the U.S. The second biggest contribution is from wrought aluminum, particularly in China. As China’ s average electrical structure leads to higher GHG emission factors and aluminum production consumes a considerable amount of electricity, it generates a remarkable amount of GHG emissions

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would simply state, that instead of saying "The Potential Pitfalls of Electric Cars", I would call them "Challenges". While it's true that a electric car future is not without challenges and realities that aren't as green as some people think, and if we move more and more towards that future we will have to figure out how to deal with those realities, I see those pitfalls much more as challenges.

Some may accuse me of semantic nitpicking here, but for me, I would much rather face the potential challenges of an Electric Car future, than continue with the "working" reality of dependence on gasoline and fossil fuel based automobiles.
    One path is ultimately doomed...finite and toxic, the other while it does come with challenges, offers potential improvement.

When you present challenges as pitfalls, many people don't get past the headline.

13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I very much agree. The pitfalls are in the gas burning engines as I see it. It is simply an inefficient way of converting a form of energy into motion. As far as I know there is no development to create a 80% efficient ICE. ICE is at the end of its evolutionary cycle. Battery tech and electric vehicle infrastructure is in its infancy. I full y agree it's not without challenges, but certainly not pitfalls. We have solved a problem of pumping oily smelly substance from under the ocean floor, etc, refining it, shipping it all over the world, distributing it all locally and burning it (inefficiency) in millions of vehicles in just under 50 years. Just think of what 50 years from Tesla Model 3 may look like. I don't think it will look like an ICE dominated world any more. So the pitfalls are with the ICE, not electric. It has served us well, but it's outdated and will go the way of the horse and buggy. Even if we do not run out of oil, ICE is going to be dead soon simply because electric is better in so many ways. Energy density of electric storage will improve, no doubt because that tech is only ramping up and has lots of room to grow.

HPrimeAdvanced, bisco and Zythryn like this.
  14. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I see this differently.

EVs have the potential to run off sunshine and wind.
    Mine run off sunshine collected from some panels in my yard.

End of oil story.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds to me like you and VFerdman are basically on the same page. How is it you see it differently?

16. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If my *EVs were running off electricity made from oil/coal, I would not have bought them.

The difference is stark in the winter in my area:
    EV: about 400 Wh/mile with cabin heating, and about 1 Kg CO2 emissions per kWh at the coal plant
    So 50 miles emits about 20 Kg CO2
    Out of politeness I'll not mention Nox and Sox from the coal plant

50 miles in a Prius is about 11 Kg CO2
    Nox and Sox are a rounding error compared to the coal plant.

Why doesn't the famed EV motor efficiency keep the EV in the running ?
    Simple. The coal plant has worse combustion efficiency than the Prius ICE, and it's waste heat ... goes to waste. The lion's share of the energy inefficiency happens before the car. It is a mistake to compare the Prius ICE to the EV motor. The Prius ICE CHP should be compared to the fossil fuel turbine.

Unless ... the electricity is not made from oil/coal. Electricity from a highly efficient NG power plant is at least a discussion worth having as an alternative to oil sourced Prius since the year round numbers are competitive (better in the summer, worse in the winter.)

#76 Oniki, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  17. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    While I know that I can opt to either produce my own electricity by putting PV solar panels on the roof or (if I had the space) operating my own wind-powered generator, I also have the option of buying my electricity from a "green energy" producer which uses wind or hydro. My local electric utility is merely a transport service and I can buy "green" kilowatts to be fed into their grid in equal number to those which I am consuming.

However, by buying the default random kilowatts, some of them are likely to be coming from a fossil fuel power plant. But that plant is subject to pollution control standards for things like particulates and sulfur dioxide. (Unfortunately, carbon dioxide is still going to be exhausted into the atmosphere.)

I wonder, however, if the energy lost in transmission makes power generation more or less environmentally friendly than a conventional ICE with pollution controls and catalytic converter. In other words, is electricity from the grid really any cleaner or are we just shifting the discharge of exhaust gasses from central city traffic to some power plant located out in the countryside?

Even hydro is not without its controversies. Quoting from an article in the Boston Globe earlier this week about a Massachusetts state-mandate that public utilities source a significant portion of their energy from "clean sources":

State energy officials are considering six bids for renewable energy projects that would produce enough electricity to power about a million homes, enabling Massachusetts to reduce its carbon emissions 25 percent below 1990 levels by 2020, as required by state law. . . . But those bids have thrust Massachusetts into a long-running dispute between the power company and the region’s indigenous peoples, some of whom have accused Hydro-Québec of “cultural genocide” and damaging rivers that have been vital to their economy and traditions for generations.

It's never easy.

18. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It does get complicated.

I personally am not a fan of purchasing green electricity because it feels like a game of musical chairs to me. Meaning if I use the clean kWh, someone else is not. If I could assure myself that my green payments translated into MORE clean kWh production, I would view them as equivalent to putting up panels in my yard.

This can be very locale dependent. E.g in my Colorado wind is often curtailed in order to keep the coal plants running in a price optimized manner. Wind purchases here may well mean less curtailment ... or not. The details are hard to come by, but my close reading of contracts in my area are typically not encouraging.

19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The point of EVs is to use energy that has several ways of being generated. That is the big advantage - flexibility. In today's world most EVs are probably not much greener than gassers, but that does not mean they are are not better in terms of a future path. If we develop battery tech, charging tech and infrastructure for EVs, we will have a foundation on which to build a greener future. That is the big point of EVs. If we make our decision TODAY on weather or not our car can run on wind ans sunshine we will not get very far because it's too early in the evolution process for EVs to win. Solar panels are pretty dirty business to produce and also take a LOT of fresh water, which is also a very important resource that we will soon be very concerned with. Similar statement can be said about batteries. As was stated, things are a bit more complicated than would appear on the surface. However EVs still need to prevail over ICE cars simply because they provide flexibility in energy production and use. We don't know what the future holds, so it's good to have a more flexible approach than just burning oil.

This is my take on why it's important to develop EVs.

20. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would you care to provide data and references ?