1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius 12 volt charging system.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Britprius, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After doing some tests on the Prius charging system I was surprised to find that it is not limited to charging at 4 amps. During tests performed on my own car with a 55 AH battery fitted and discharged approximately 20% then being charged "while monitored" the initial charge rate was 43 amps dropping after 2 mins to under 20 amps. Then dropping over the next 5 mins to 10 amps. This figure drops steadily until it is float charged at 13.8 volts.
    This 43 amps is not a maximum figure, a larger discharge would likely raise this figure.

This goes some way to proving that a battery that will not hold a charge, particularly with one or more shorted cells will affect fuel consumption. As 43 amps at 12 volts is over 500 watts putting something in the order of a 2+ amp discharge on the HV battery.

John (Britprius)

SteveWlf likes this.
  2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If the 12V battery is not holding a charge most of that 500 watts would have to be dissipated as heat. Has anyone noticed a failing 12V battery getting hot?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I would agree, but given where the battery is in the car does not make it easy to check and any fumes given off would be vented to outside. One would imagine one shorted cell would be quickly followed by more as the heat and overcharge gassing dries them out. This may reduce the current as the internal resistance goes up.

John (Britprius)

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ That would also reduce the heat buildup, as some of that power goes to producing gas instead of heat.

5. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your findings and assumptions are CORRECT Britprius.. nice job.

A scanguage showing high voltage amperage can show the same results with a little special math..

Hv current as view from my scanguage shown normal daytime current at about .8 amps (12volt battery fully charged).

At night with headlights on low beam scanguage shows about 1.7 amps draw from hv battery.
    Thats about .9 amp difference.. .9 amps multiplied by 225 volts is 202 watts... factor dc to dc converter effiency is about 50%
    your left with 101 watts being consumed by 12 volt system... Divide 101 watts by 13.8 volts you get 7.31 amps..

Perhaps 7.31 amps is a little low for headlights, parking lights, and tail lamps if so. Then dc / dc converter is maybe 55 % effecient..

I have seen scanguage with 70 to 80% discharged 12v battery show 4.5 amps draw from high voltage battery.

Doing the math suggest (55% effecient dc-dc converter) 33 amps of charge into 13.8 battery..(orignal 12v 35ah battery).
    Just realized something 70 to 80 % discharged battery is probably down to 12.0 volts..So when scanguage shows
    4.5 amps hv current... 12 volt battery is experiencing 38 amps of charge based on 55% dc converter effiency.

Stepping down voltage steps up current with the same ratio. Provided stepdown transformer can handle the full current.!
    And no stepdown transformer is 100% efficent..so there is some current loss..Also a stepdown transformer at high frequencies can be quite small compared to a 60hz type.. as most high frequency transformers require only a few turns of coil in the primary and secondary windings..The prius stepdown transformer probably has 16 turn of coil in the primary and 1 turns in the secondary.
    A 16 to 1 step down of voltage but a 16 times step up of current. The secondary winding must be of large diameter wire to handle the dc to dc converter output of 100 amps at 13.8 volts... I have not located said transformer in inverter/converter teardown pictures on the net...Have you? OOps I found it..see attached pic..
    its upper center and to the right is high current choke that looks similar..

Also of interest my old 12 volt battery had blown seals from the high charge currents.
    the orignal battery which i kept.. the label on the top of the battery is the vent seal that forces gases through the valve-vent..
    My label had bubbles and tunnel crevices leading to the open air..
    With my new battery now about 3 years old I never had a discharged battery yet.

Attached Files:

Britprius likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other systems on the Prius with ignition on (but not ready) consume quite a lot of current the headlamps with side lights use about 12 amps "for halogen bulbs" and the rest of the systems, MFD ect about 7 or 8 amps I think.

I believe when you calculate the current taken by the other systems in the Prius and factor that in to your maths the DC to DC converter efficiency will come in 90%+ range, let me know what you come up with.

I will be doing more tests to investigate this when I can, but as I've said before this depends on the weather as I have to work outside. The forecast is for more snow and cold weather.

I have Techtream, and Priidash and digital meters and a wonderful 50 year old Avo model 8 analog multi meter just re discovered sitting on a shelf in my workshop.

The 55 AH battery I have in the car has so far more than come up to expectation, and gives me the confidence to to try long heavy discharges and the effect on the Prius system. Something I would not be happy doing with the OEM battery.

John (Britprius)

SteveLee and bobodaclown like this.
  7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12 amps sounds very accurate for headlamps, parking and tail lamps..
    If memory serves correctly each headlight is 60 watts = 5amps@ 12v ?...Or = 4.34 amp @ 13.8v
    Anyway that does bring up dc converter effiency to approximately 84 % efficent...NICE

I found stepdown transformer and posted picture to my orignal post..Transformer looks to have feroite core which is very
    efficient.

That all brings up my estimated 12volt discharged battery,, charge current up to 58 amps...when scanguage reports hv
    current at 4.5 map....

I did post all of this years ago on prius chat with lots of disagreement....In that post I said discharged prius 12 battery would pull 60
    amps I still stand by that... While charge current drops quickly it is greatly above the 3 amp hour recommended charge rate.

From my recollection The coolant transfeer pump pulls 8-10 amps, the ABS boost pump that usually operates shortly after opening
    the driver door pulls 13 - 16 amps..

The prius ign system and all ecu's power up I think around 8-10 amps.
    So your 8 amps or so that you mentioned sounds accurate to me..
    When I turn off the multifunction monitor I see no differenct on hv current...It must be under 1 amp at 12volts..

I havent looked at scanguage hv amperage with prius powered up in non-ready mode.... I suspect 10 amps at
    12 volts...

Your choice of wheel chair deep cycle batter sounds like good-one...provided It doesn't pull over 100 amps fully discharged..(initial
    recharge current)..

To be safe should you have a discharged deep cycle 55 ah battery.. just dont use all the accessorys, for the first 5 minutes of
    recharge .

I seen agm 80ah 12v battery pull 90amps for 3 minutes (charge rate) following a 15 amp discharge for 20 minutes..years ago..
    You should be ok I think if you should ever have a discharged battery (unlikely)..

What type current meter are you using and how high will it read? ...I have a craftsman amp clamp type that will measure dc current..
    (rare animal..most read only ac current) I think it will read over 100 amps dc... but it is not high quality...
    I have not used it on prius.It would require girlfriend riding in trunk hehe.. scan guage does all I need..

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The meter I am using for current is a Fluke 36 clamp meter and will measure AC and DC. The Dc ranges go up to 1,000 amps.

The boost pump figures you quote are close to mine starting low and rising with load as the pressure at the pump increases.

When I can get to it I intend doing a 20 amp discharge for 1 hr, or I may go 30 amps for 1 hr as this would represent a 50% discharge. The battery is rated by the manufacturer to 1200 cycles at 80% discharge.

It is most unlikely that the battery will ever see full discharge even if the car is left unused for a couple of months as the battery is rated at 55 amps at 10 hr rate, most batteries being rated at 20 hr rate, and aligning it with these rates it at over 60 AH.

However there is always the possibility of say the side lights being left on, but that would only be about 3 amps so the battery would cope with that easily over night say 12 hrs. as the car is normally used every day.

I to was somewhat surprised that the charge rate was as high as it is when it clearly states on the OEM battery 4amp maximum charge rate. Possibly one of the reasons the battery does not live long in hot climates.

What is the highest charge voltage you have seen for the 12 volt battery? I have recorded 14.6 but I believe it could go higher 14.8?

John (Britprius)

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A point to add, when you turn off the MFD it probably only turns off the cold cathode tube that illuminates the display the reason you see no real difference in HV battery current. I will see if I can confirm this (something else to put on my list).

If I did accidentally fully discharge the battery I would put it on an external charger and not expect the car to charge it.

John (Britprius)

10. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John its been about 3 years since I observed the high charge voltage due to a completely discharged battery.
    I'm thinking 14.85volts I have a cigaret lighter volt meter purchased from walmart for 15.95 that agrees very closely to my fluke vom.
    Second best thing I ever bought next to the scanguage.. The cigarette volt meter swivels up against dash for some consealment when
    away from vechicle..Its backlighted light green and only draws .015 amp. but stays inserted always...After many hours of viewing
    voltage at a glance I can actually determin inverter/converter temp high medium or cold as normal readings battery fully charged
    converter cold = 13.75 inverter warm = 13.71 inverter hot (153 degrees ) = 13.67.. each summer the fully charged voltage drops more
    and more.. It might be time to change inverter coolant...inverter/converter getting hotter each summer.. or cooling pump maybe getting
    weaker and weaker...?

Yea discharge testing with deep cycle battery.. Thats my kind of fun... my next battery will be deep cycle type.

My next fluke meter dc amp clamp .. awesome..

Yea ccfl backlight is probably the only thing turned off (when turning off mfd) but doing so does register on by cigarette volt meter
    (about .02-.03 volts difference.. backlight probably consumes 300 milliamps..(better guess).

Have fun John.

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Interesting data. I usually see ~1.1 A as opposed to your 0.8 A. Do you have numbers before you changed the 12 V battery?

I noticed your car is 2009 and you said the new battery was put in 3 years ago. So the original one failed pretty early?

Thanks!

12. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My orignal battery experienced 3 total discharges.
    Also about 26 half capicity discharges.
    And about 14 quarter capicity discharges.
    It was still good when I replaced it.. that orignal battery was no sissy!

The dealer sold me a new one for 159.00 it is marked as no pb (lead).
    Its morning voltage is 12.96 volts as opposed to 12.6 of lead acid type.
    The new battery looks identical to orignal .. What is it made of ? ?

Fresh out of sealed box it measured 13 volts..What is its chemistry?
    My brand new prius had a confused abs ecu..abs2 relay was energized
    24 by 7 by 300 days.. it was pulling half an amp continously for 300 days
    I believe kthis is why there are so many prius battery posts.

Confused ecus wont go into cpu-sleep-mode after dead battery, jump starts, low voltage encounters, etc.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can you post a picture of your new battery?

John(Britprius)

14. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The said new battery has been installed for closed to 3 years.
    I dont think much is visable in battery compartment and Im out
    of town. It must be a gen 3 battery as a gen 3 exibits these higher voltages.
    I think the nonlead battery was similar in weight but I didnt actually weigh it.. I still have the very nice douhle box it came in which might show some specs ... Im sure its same ah rating. Ill check box tomarrow

Before I cleared the half amp discharge problem on the old battery the scanguage probably never went below 1.4 hv amps.
    After I fixed discharge problem it did drop to .9 amp on old battery.

with cabin vent blower on low and hv battery cooling fan on scanguage shows 1.1 amp.

2009Prius likes this.
  15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks,

John (Britprius)

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The 1.1 A I measured was with both fans off. Now I am curious to see what happens if I put in a new 12V battery. Hmm...

By the way I would be interested in the picture of the box as well. Thanks!

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    AGM batteries can produce slightly higher voltages. Flooded lead acid run at about 2.1 volts per cell while AGM run at about 2.2 volts per cell making the difference between 12.6 volts flooded and as high as 13.2 for AGM.

When I fitted the battery in my friends car (fitting mobility 12 volt AGM post) that came out of the box at 13 volts, and is the sort of voltage I see on my own car fitted with the same battery after over a years use. I do not see voltages below about 12.4 volts even with the MFD load test.

John (Britprius)

18. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! I suspected the same, but 43-20 amps might not seem like much in the big hybrid picture, but it does explain why I got low mileage on my gen1 until I finally replace the OEM battery. Once replaced and fully charged, the main traction battery stayed with 9 green bars most all the time, unless sneaked in some EV driving in town (I have 3 different school zones to drive thru to get to the store. Good time to go EV and save a $180 ticket!)

19. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I take it back..
    Seems my new (3year old) battery does contain lead.. I mis interpeted there picture-symbol shows trash can with big X over pic
    with Pb bottom.. see attach pict.... the label say limit charge to 4.2 amp within 10 hour period...also see pic...

I will check box when I get home this afternoon... If there is any other info on box I will picture and post..

sorry for any confusion....

OOps I should have checked my hi resolution camera settings ...I didn't realize i was sending 1meg pixel pic..
    Hope hi-rez doesn't cause any problems...I will double check in the future..

Attached Files:

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the pictures, easy mistake to make. I believe the battery for the gen2&3 are the same part number. Gen 1 battery has the posts reversed.

John (Britprius)