1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius Accident Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by markderail, Sep 10, 2010.

1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rules :

- your car at time of accident
    - pictures
    - what happened
    - costs

Deviation from these rules will result in the moderator to totally ignore said rules.

1 person likes this.
  2. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So naturally, I start !

I hit a fox crossing the highway on labor day Monday. It squashed into the front of the car.
    I was driving through a curve, wet pavement as it was raining, never lost control. It was 00:15 am, I had just crossed the border at Vermont back into Quebec, Canada.

Electronic estimate was made using Mitchell Ultramate v7 software, 746$ in parts and 321$ in labor, total with taxes 1,207.40$. Costly fox.
    My deductible is 250$.

Before the collision, my usage was 4.9l/100km, it jumped to 5.1l/100km.

Repairs done by:
    Carrosier ProColor Pierrefonds
    4796 ST-CHARLES BOUL, QC H9H 3C9
    (514) 620-2288

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the benefit of this thread is...?

4. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    .....if the cost or estimate of repair is posted, we can see how much it costs to fix.

1 person likes this.
  5. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vandalism to my 2010 Sandy

Less than two months after the first repair, vandals in the parking lot where I live viciously attacked my Prius.

They targeted all "new" cars in the lot - there were just two, mine and my GF's (that they only dented with kicks).

Mine got the full treatment with a large cement/rock found nearby. Did a police report, yada yada.

No, I did *not* blow my top - it's just a car, it doesn't have feelings. I swear, other car owners in the parking lot, that did not have their car touched, were going berzerk.

Anyhow, we're sure they did this a weeknight late, and it took me a few days to notice, as the damage is all on the passenger side.

No part is being replaced, all body work, sanding, painting and harmonizing. A good 8 hours of work for the Quarter-Panel; it takes upwards of 16 hours of repairs to get a replace on a QP.

Damage due to rock & kicks to QP, both side doors, and front right side.
    Total repair bill is 1,846.18 Another 250$ down the drain (deductible).

I've thought of making a sign with a 100$ cash reward if perpetrator is revealed...

Repairs done by:
    Carrosier ProColor Pierrefonds
    4796 ST-CHARLES BOUL, QC H9H 3C9
    (514) 620-2288

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dthomaspdx

dthomaspdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,
    I'm new here, however I've owned my 2005 Prius since November 2004. After a much-needed vacation away last week, my first day back to work (Valentine's Day, no less), I was rear-ended by a monster Chevy truck coming back from lunch. Two co-workers were with me, but thankfully everyone was ok. My baby went to my insurance-picked body shop; came back with an estimate of $7565 for all the repairs. I still haven't gotten firm confirmation that this isn't considered a total loss or not, but for kicks, let's say they actually pony up the money for repairs.

So what do I do next? I'm already miffed that this happened, and I've already asked my insurance company about diminished value (haven't heard back yet). The laundry list of repair items include some Toyota certified parts, but a lot of after-market, used, and "refurbished" parts. Clearly I will not be able to sell it or trade it in at the value of what it was before the accident. (In some ways, I'm hoping the insurance company writes it off so I can get a new one. The car was great workhorse and had about 65k miles on it.)

If they do the repairs, what could I realistically expect to get on a trade-in at the Toyota dealership? I'm not particularly interested in trying to sell it on my own.

Any advice/info would be most appreciated! Thanks!

(I would post pics, but I haven't posted 5 times to allow me to post links here)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have an estimate of what the car was worth, pre-accident? Repairs of over $7,500 on a 2005 sounds like a write-off to me.

8. dthomaspdx

dthomaspdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Judging by online research (craigslist, KBB, etc.) I probably could have sold it for $9,500-11,500 range.

edit: ouch, just realized this seems to be the place for Canadian Prius owners..... I'm not Canadian, but I date a guy in Vancouver. Does that count? ;) Pardon my ignorance, I'm new here.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, 7500/9500 is about 80%. Do you know what percentage your insurer uses? Do they know you will not drive the car after repair?

It is? I didn't know that. :)

What? No, that's absolutely forbidden. First, the guy has to file a successful claim that there's no Canadian available who meets the requirements, then.....;)

10. dthomaspdx

dthomaspdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would guess they go with the 80% as well. I just contacted the other guy's insurance, asking how to claim diminished value, considering I wouldn't be able to sell it for the amount pre-accident. She, of course, is now asking to see the actual estimate from the body shop.

To be fair, he's had SEVERAL Canadian girlfriends in the past, and I'm sick of the losers in Portland, so... it works. BC and OR are practically the same country anyways.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite, but there are definitely lots of good similarities. :)