1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius becomes "normal" while I'm away. A reintroduction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by avusblue, Sep 4, 2015.

1. avusblue

avusblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone, I guess I’m re-introducing myself. I originally signed up at PriusChat back in 2009. I had purchased a new 2009 Prius and drove it for two years. I liked it a lot. It was not "fun to drive" in the typical, visceral sense we often think of with sports cars (i.e. delicious steering / handling sensations) but it was definitely fun to drive in that it is an engaging, intriguing, study in engineering ingenuity. It was fun to maximize its efficiency. The car works beautifully for its intended purpose, and you can really appreciate what a mechanical feat it is. The Prius is a remarkable achievement in how it prioritizes efficiency in not just fuel consumption but also in light weight, simplicity in operation, and very practical packaging. At the time, the Prius seemed way ahead of its time, and I really respected the car and enjoyed owning it.

Here is the best part. I bought it in 2009 when the economy was in the depths of the recession, gas prices had plunged below $2.00, and there was a big Prius glut. Toyota was offering gigantic discounts at the time. I bought my ’09 Prius for right around $20,000. Fast forward two years later. In spring of 2011, there was the nuclear power plant accident due to the tsunami in Japan. The Prius went out of production, along with many Japanese cars, due to massive supply chain disruption in Japan. Petroleum prices had spiked to $4.00 a gallon. Priuses were all sold out. Meanwhile, I took my car in for a routine oil change at the Toyota dealer. The dealership called me and said they were asking all their Prius service customers if they wanted to sell their car, as they had a waiting list of people looking to buy preowned Priuses. They quoted me.....$20,000. And this for a car with 1) 30,000 miles, 2) tires almost worn out, 3) license tabs about to expire, and 4) that I paid $20,000 for to begin with. SOLD!

Zoom ahead to this summer. Once again, cheap gasoline, combined with the pending 4th generation Prius redesign, have driven Toyota to offer big, juicy, discounts on new 2015 Priuses. In early July, I bought a brand new Prius Two in Blizzard White for just under $21,000. So far, two months and 3,000 miles in, I’m averaging 55 actual mpg. Just excellent! And the improvements between the Gen2 and the Gen3 are very noticeable. Improved ride and handling, better power delivery, improved quietness, sleeker lines, better performing HVAC, an upgraded interior. And higher MPG. Many notable improvements.

During the 4 years I was Prius-less, I’ve noticed that the Prius has really become quite a mainstream car. “Normal”, so to speak. The Prius used to convey kind of a “tree-hugger, eco-hippie” type of vibe. Hollywood celebrities drove a Prius to prove their earth-friendly credentials. But in the years since then, the Prius has transitioned to become ordinary and customary, as its popularity and prevalence have seeped into the culture. The Prius has evolved from a “statement” into a simple, effective tool -- delivering the best utility for the job at hand: getting around easily and efficiently. Prii have become ubiquitous. And yet, getting back into one after 4 years, I realize that the driving experience is still special. When I drive a “conventional” car I am shocked by how crude and rudimentary it seems. (for example, “Why is the engine still running during stop & go traffic?”). And the efficiency and easy usability continues to impress!

There still is really no car quite like the Prius, in its single minded focus on simplicity, efficiency, utility, and user-friendliness. The Prius is not Toyota’s most expensive car or its most exclusive car, but I believe the Prius represents the pinnacle of Toyota’s efforts and achievement. Precisely because of the way it hits its target, while having a reasonable pricetag, and extracting no penalties in being hard to live with.

So far, my only mods are a light window tint, replacing the shift knob with the Nimbus Mount phone holder (highly recommended!), hard wiring my Valentine One radar detector, and having the dealer disable the obnoxious reverse beeping. I also pulled off the hubcaps and installed black-painted center caps, but I decided I didn’t like the “boy-racer” look of the black wheels, so I put the hubcaps back on. Before winter arrives, I’ll purchase some HuskyLiner mats for the Minnesota slop and might even get a second set of rims and some snow tires.

I’m delighted to be back in the Prius fold, and look forward to continuing to enjoy the new car.

Here she is! (this is before the window tint was completed):

[​IMG]

Here she was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me: who the heck needs a pickup truck?? 20 bags of mulch -- no problem!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Dave

pel.hu, Ashlem, danoe and 5 others like this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting and I think valid description of Prius and Prius Ownership.

I tend to agree with you about the mainstreaming of Prius. But I've discovered from other threads that some people are adverse to using the term? I have no problem with it.

While I have always tried to avoid embracing any "South Park" arrogance in thinking MY vehicle is Super Special, I will admit to many of the observations you state about Prius Ownership. I do take some enjoyment in owning NOT the most exclusive, or most expensive vehicle, but one engineered as a hybrid with attributes not found in vehicles costing 2, 3, 4-5+ times more than The Prius. A lot of expensive sports cars can beat a Prius off the line, but precious few can get off the line on battery power using no gasoline.

The panache of owning a Prius may of declined, but I think owning a Prius is still a different and special ownership experience.

Welcome BACK to Prius Ownership, enjoy.

HGS and avusblue like this.
  3. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Lots of people need a pick up truck. Possibly as many as 10% of the people who drive them.

Ashlem, tharter, danoe and 4 others like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    she's gorgeous, congrats and welcome back!(y)

avusblue likes this.
  5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That is my observation as well!

Ironically, it seems like expensive pickup trucks have become a 'status symbol' vehicle lately. I have seen many, many people with 50K+ trucks who rarely, if ever, use the bed for any sort of hauling. Also, don't get me started on the fact that an Escalade pickup actually exists...o_O

avusblue likes this.
  6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People like trucks because they can see over the Prius and other cars like them, so they "feel" more safe on the road. And the real problem is that's probably true because they're on their cellphones not paying attention. :)

avusblue likes this.
  7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I think that they must be some kind of status related driveway ornament. I guess it's more noticeable and maybe smarter than going out to the driveway and burning money.

avusblue likes this.
  8. danoe

danoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Call me old, but whenever I see something like this I can't help thinking of two things: (1) Why does that person have 4 temporary tires on that car ... did they have 4 flats? and (2) My favorite NBA player of all time was the first one to wear black sneakers, so opponents would think he looked slower than he was.

Enjoyed your post.

avusblue likes this.
  9. tharter

tharter New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I think owning a Prius nowadays is just another choice of car pretty much. I got offered a 2014 model cheap and took it, and I'm very glad for the efficiency and find it to be a fun and affordable car. There are a billion of them around my area now though, so its not like you really stand out.

HGS and avusblue like this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree. I am actively ready to buy a new car as our 2008 Gen II has 154K miles. Actually there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just ready to buy. Consequently I've looked at a lot of cars in the relative same genre as the hatchback. But I find the Prius is pretty hard to beat.

The driving characteristics of the gen II are fine for me. I drive for fuel economy, so rarely accelerate full throttle or corner hard. Also the looks of the car are fine. What I care about is mileage, reliability, price, and what's inside.

Cargo space is important. Anything less than 20 cu.ft. won't work for us. Good rear seat legroom, smart key, and a spare tire.

When I look at the field of cars out there I just don't find anything that matches the Prius. $25K'ish, 20+ cu ft cargo space, 50+mpg. And I think the Synergy drive is brilliant.

avusblue and Sergiospl like this.
  11. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After I told my wife all the virtues of a Prius she said, "why doesn't everyone drive one"?

avusblue likes this.