1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius c is Official: > 50 MPG City, 1.5-liter Engine, Pretty Colors

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 15, 2011.

1. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I hope that you are right. My local dealer told me they will only get the Yaris hybrid. If the c will be available in any European country, then it will be easy for me to import it.

As for the acceleration, you should always doubt pre-production numbers.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

3 people like this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks
    Do you have any details of 1nz-fxe changes? I see peak torque dropped to 111Nm from IIRC 115 Nm. Does this mean later valve closing?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken posted a picture of the updated 1NZ-FXE engine. I can't remember if it's in this thread or another Prius c thread.

Found it:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c-main-forum/92689-prius-c-concept-5.html#post1427910

See also post175 for a table of comparison between the c and the Prius liftback

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2 people like this.
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks tideland,

I was interested in the changes to the engine itself, from ken's link they have added cooled egr which should make it more efficient at low power levels, but the translated link adds

And I'm curious what has been newly design. So far we know the engine block heater hole has moved, peak torque has decreased slightly, peak horse power has moved from 76@5000 rpm to 74@4800 rpm.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

intersting aboug weight - since this is based on Ractis/Verso-s, and not Yaris, not only it is lighter than Yaris Diesel, it is actually lighter than Verso-s diesel by up to 300lbs. Thats pretty impressive right there as both Verso-s and Yaris are on of the lightest cars in their classes.

So expect this to be half size up on Yaris, with leg space same as in Corolla.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the c has a 1.5L engine. The Yaris hybrid, Yurp's small Toyota hybrid, might have a smaller engine.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    WSJ reported the yaris hybrid would have the same power train as the aqua and prius c. The aqua is about the same weight as the yaris with the 1.5L engine and auto transmission. The 1.5L otto generates 106hp versus 100 hp in the hsd.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JP Aqua is 1050kg (2310lbs) to 1080kg (2376lbs) and JP Vitz (Yaris) 1.5L is 1040kg (2288lbs).
    US Yaris 1.5L is 2315lbs.
    They are almost same weight.

Ken@Japan

5 people like this.
  11. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Probably not the place to discuss this problem, but since 2 posts had questions/comments a ways back... here goes!

I replaced the original tires and wheel on my 05 Prius with 205/55 16s 'TripleTred' GYs. Noted that the rears were becoming noisy at 5,000 mile rotation. By next 5k rotation all tires were rumbling. I took them in to check balance. All were fine.

By 15k or so I bought a new set of TTs, since the ones on the car were so loud that conversation was difficult at highway speed. Figured it was a defective set. Unfortunately, the same thing started to happen with the new set. Rears started to rumble... while fronts were fine. I didn't rotate this time. The rears continued to get worse, while fronts were fine. Again had the tire balance checked. All fine. Scuppers were appearing on the rears. A pattern of 3 deep scuppers across the right rear and 2 deep scuppered areas on the left rear.

Bought two more TripleTreds, put them in front and moved the fronts to the rear. Had the car aligned and started mentioning the problem our dealer. Dealer said the Prius is tough on tires. After the noise got bad again and eventually exposed cord on two spots of the right rear tire, I decided to put a new set of GY RS-A tires on the wheels.

Same thing happened to these. The rears developed the same pattern of scuppers and waves. Took the wheels off the car to clean them and turned the rear drum by hand to clean off the dirt, and noticed that there were three slight binds as I rotated the drum by hand. I found 2 slight points of resistance as I rotated the left rear drum. Aha! I thought. Found the problem!

I took the car to the dealer and mentioned what I had found. They could not duplicate... so they shimmed the rear suspension and did an alignment. Bought a set of Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires, a tire that had fairly long lasting rubber and also rated as very quiet.

They were mounted on the newly aligned and shimmed Prius. The quiet they provided was incredible, but it only lasted a little over 5,000 miles as the rears started to do the same thing again. I left these on, not rotated to keep the scuppered noise makers in the rear and noted the result with the dealer. They have been on this car so long that the car now vibrates quite a bit as it tries to roll down the road... causing the front tires to become feathered and noisy too. The deformations on the rear tread surfaces can be seen, not just felt.

Showed the dealer the results and they answered that the tires feature soft rubber treads and are out of balance. UTQG for this tire is 600 A A. The TripleTreds were 740 A B. The only 'soft' rubber tire we tried were the RS-As with a UTQG of 260 A A. So we finally went to Toyota regional customer service, but are still waiting for the tech to provide us an audience. This has been a long saga, sorry.

The more I look at the new c the better I like it. MPG figures are still pretty vague, though. Size wise, the c is a whole 3 inches shorter overall than a Ford Fiesta, but has close to a 2 inch longer wheelbase. Don't know if the Federalized bumpers on the c will extend length of U.S. version. Should be an interesting car.

Is the c going to make its first appearance in the U.S. at the Detroit Auto Show (North American International Auto Show) next week?

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I solved the premature tyre wear problem by buying Michelin Hydroedges and keeping the tyres inflated to sidewall max psi.

13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Toyota has announced it will reveal the highly advanced NS4 hybrid concept car along with the debut of the much-awaited Prius c at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. during Toyota’s news conference on January 10 at 8:45 a.m. in the Riverview Ballroom at Cobo Center."

Toyota to reveal new hybrid concept, debut Prius c in Detroit during 2012 NAIAS

Btw, thanks for the info on the tires/tyres. I know it took a while to type that. Thanks for sharing. I would recommend reposting that in the Prius forum, and see what others have to say. I'm curious to know before I buy a noisy/quiet Prius.