1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius is just remarkable

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ErikU, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 8 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]267892[/snapback]</div>
    Numerous studies have shown that on an interstate highway driving 55 when the traffic flow is 70 is significantly more dangerous than maintaining your position in the flow of traffic.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jun 9 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]269005[/snapback]</div>
    May be true but it is still sad

3. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think if i just accerlerate "normally" to har, rather than slowly(usually dont let the ICE kick in), i think i actualyl get better MPG

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct you want to get to your cruise speed as soon as possible without having to high rev the engine. My guide is about 1 mph per sec on level terrain.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrct9454 @ Jun 8 2006, 06:50 AM) [snapback]267842[/snapback]</div>
    My sentiments exactly ... I'm averaging 47 MPG or so, and driving like I always have. That's what has sold me on the benefits of the technology. There are very few people who will strive to eke out the highest MPG in their cars, but with a Prius, you get good mileage even if you aren't in that club.

My old car got 22 mpg, and my truck 17 mpg (I switched to my wife's mini-van after gas prices rose again, and I had the longer commute). More than doubling my mileage is good enough for me.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 10 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]269156[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. While doing that, do you stay in Consumption screen or Energy screen? The reason I asked is because I think acceleration without an arrow from the battery is better for mpg right? I've played around but not enough to be conclusive. Just asking from more experienced HSD driver. :D

Dennis

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jun 9 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]269005[/snapback]</div>
    Accidents at 70 mph are very often fatal. Accidents at 55, you actually have a chance of surviving, if the car is properly designed. But when passing would be dangerous, I drive with the flow of traffic, up to the speed limit.

But when the limit is 70, and the flow of traffic is 80, there's no way I'm going to exceed the limit because, frankly, I think that anyone who drives 80 in a "normal" car is a psychopath. (Yes, I am aware that there are cars designed to be safe at high speeds.) Note also that I do not drive in big cities where the freeways are either parking lots or race courses. I keep to the right-hand lane, and there is plenty of space for people to pass me, and nobody who wants to drive fast will be in my lane anyway.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll find you'll gain mpg as the car breaks in. Somewhere around 3,000-5,000 miles I think.

I noticed an initial gain after I hit 1,000 and then a smaller one later but I don't remember when. Some is the car, some is you relearning how to drive.

As for the freeway, I don't do 70 anymore. Traffic is fairly light both going and returning from work. I'm lucky that way. I usually stay in the right hand lane and find myself a nice truck to follow at a reasonable distance. No one faults me for going slow when there's a truck in front of ME.

And it's surprising how relaxing going 60 instead of 70 can be. And I don't lose any time. It's been said. Do the math. Do you really need to get to work that minute and a half early? Five minutes? Whatever? Is it really worth it?