1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The PRIUS PLUS PERFORMANCE Test Run Campaign PIX !!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by HAWAIIANBUILT, Apr 5, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well....there are a few anecdotes dispersed somewhere in this forum that reported actual mileage improvement. The one at the top of my mind, Weds Sport TC-005. The right lightweight rims (w/ LRR tires of course) will see better mileage. Less rotational mass. It's physics.

The elusive Weds. *drool*
    [​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also read a post by a reputable member who bought Rays super light wheels and he did not experience any gains so I still think the larger gains are made by choosing decent tires rather than high performance sticky tires. :D

3. maoira

maoira Junior Member

St Paul, MN (formally from San Diego, CA)
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rodney,

Were you able to weigh the wheels on the plus package by chance? I'm debating on whether to get new lighter rims as my non-winter wheels and keeping the prius plus wheels and putting winter shoes on them when I move to MN.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG! You want to use the plus wheels for winter wheels? *gasp* but they are sooo nice! I'll trade you my Centerlines which are 15lbs/ea for the Plus package wheels. :p

Seriously though. The wheel weight is not such a big issue. The tires make a larger difference. :)

5. maoira

maoira Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha. I know but I'm really liking some of those enkei, motegi wheels. But if the weight difference isn't all that much, I'll just throw some winter shoes on some steely 15's or really cheap 17" wheels. do not know which would be better for snow though.. 15's or 17's...

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 17" motegi wheels and like them, but they are for all season. Do you drive to snow often from san diego? If you do, 15s will probably be better.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you calling me reputable? My 16" touring sized CE28Ns saw no milage gain with crazy sticky, summer-only 205-55-16 ADVAN AD08 tires. I saw a milage drop. But it corners like mad in the summer.

8. maoira

maoira Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not too often, but we have to use chains regardless since snow is usually in the mountains. I was speaking more for when I move to MN.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yep 17s will do fine with chains. Maybe some mn prius chatters will chirp in for winter tires. From the old days 15" were better because bigger sidewalls allowed more flex, but things may have changed with the newer rubber compounds. I definitely like my contenental dws 17" for better handling in heavy rain and higher speed turns in the dry. They do take a milage hit versus 15s though not as much as snow tires would.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not all I call you but we'll keep this PC. : p

I was thinking even further back to someone who doesn't post anymore.