1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius: The REAL Smart Car?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Electric Me, Feb 12, 2011.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My neighbor just bought a new Smart Fortwo. The way parking works it's parked right next to my Honda Fit. I will admit it's nice to come back home to park my Fit and have it become the Bigger vehicle. The Fit is almost never The Bigger vehicle....

I've never driven a Smart Car, and I'll admit it looks pretty cool. But man is it SMALL....it does make my subcompact look like a SUV.

I don't mean this as a put down of a Smart Car...because as a minimalist, alternative, eco concious choice, I like as many options as possible...and The Smart Car certainly has it's place. It's hard to look at it and think of it as a "car" in the way I'm programmed to see a vehicle...but it really is "cool"...I like it...

That being said, I think it harshly illuminates a super strength of Prius and even the upcoming Prius v....

The Smart....could probably fit inside The Prius v...(okay maybe I'm, exagerating...but not by much) and the gas mileage for the 2 vehicles are similar, with the Prius v actually getting better combined and city mileage...

The regular Prius simply beats the gas mileage of The Smart fortwo...hands down.

So again, I'm not putting down the smart. It's an interesting choice for a specific lifestyle or enviroment. I do like it...BUT...I don't know, outside of cost? The Prius and Hybrids in general offer so much more of everything....

When the Mid-Size vehicle get's better gas mileage than what can only be described as a Micro-Compact? Which really is the Smarter Car to own?

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife had a smart cabrio a few years back, it was a lot of fun and worked fine as a commuter car, but we also took it on holiday and did the shopping. Not as practical as the prius, with half the seats, but about half the price to buy.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you mentioned "eco conscious", you got me wondering... Well, besides it getting worse fuel economy than a Prius, thus emitting more CO2, I found that per Side-by-Side Comparison, it has pretty dirty emissions. It only gets 5/10 on the EPA air pollution score and 6/10 for CARB states. That sucks.

I haven't driven one either but I've read the car has a terrible transmission. This was confirmed by someone who had the misfortune of having one as a rental (and knew nothing about the car before she received it). I wouldn't own one in the US because you will almost always be the smallest and lightest car (curb weight ~1800 lbs.) when even econoboxes are pushing 2500-3000 lbs and medium sized cars are 3000-3700 lbs. now. Then, you've got the monstrosity class full-sized SUVs at 5000+ lbs. :(

The results at IIHS news release should be no surprise. Be sure to check out the video upper right. The 2009 Mercedes C-Class they crashed it into is EPA rated as a compact, but is ~3500 lbs.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I never investigated The Smart car in that great a detail, because given my demands and lifestyle and it's size, I never perceived it as a legitimate choice for me personally. I see it as primarily a urban commuter and a niche vehicle...

But I'll just have to ask my neighbor about a year from now. I did read this article that seems to support it's potential constructial safety and ULEV status.

www.associatedcontent.com/article/7730352/review_of_the_smart_fortwo_smart_car.html?cat=27

The only way I would consider a Smart Car, would be as a second vehicle...and basically while I consider from time to time owning a Pick-up for utility...I default to trying to own 1 vehicle that I can use for the majority of my demands....The Smart Car simply does not support enough of them.

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is pretty amazing how inefficient the Smart is given the size. The only way that I'd consider it is if I were living in a city with tough parking - in a place like NYC it would make a heck of a lot of sense.

6. Livi

Livi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SmartCars are great for city driving. But taking it out in the highway with big rigs is not smart. Do a Google search of SmartCar accidents and big rigs. It's not pretty.

7. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The French really know how to do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqWPu-AKemA&feature=related]YouTube - Smart Car getting out of a tight parking space[/ame]

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my current job, I drive a lot and park very little, but I worked myself through college organizing the racks in grocery stores at the checkout counters. (Yes, I sold trashy weeklies, Globe, National Examiner, Dell MiniMags, etc. American Media Inc (AMI)) In that job your speed was dependent on how close to the checkout counters you could park. A Smart would be fantastic if I held that job today. I suspect pizza delivery folks hold it in the same high regard, so easy to park close to where you want to be.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As a former delivery person, the smart would be awesome for that. However, we usually park wherever we want and are in and out very quickly. With the Prius it was awesome because you could turn all the lights off, put it in EV mode, and creep down the sidewalk right next to a building when there was no parking.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a smart fortwo (my blog can be found here on PC actually).

The thing that got me was the fact that it idled at traffic lights. I bought it for a few reasons

• Purchase cost (lots of gov't incentives for fuel efficient vehicles at that time and the smart qualified for all of them) plus for Cdn$19,000, I got 2-stage heated leather seats (quite good quality leather. Feels nice than our Camry's or the Prius for that matter), panoramic roof (sim. to the upcoming Prius v), 6-Disc MP3/CD changer w/ AUX, foglights, 3-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters (it's a automated manual)
    • Fuel economy - 3rd most fuel efficient car in Canada after the Prius and Civic Hybrid
    • Fun-to-drive factor (yes, the engine sounds quite nice when revved)
    • Its size (I can park anywhere plus I'm only taking up as much as I need on the road)
    • Space (I like spacious cars and the smart fits me quite well)
    • Comfort (The seat-to-pedal setup is quite good and I felt very comfortable driving for 4-6 hours straight on the highway)
    • Visibility (You sit high up, almost minivan height)

So why did I change back to the Prius?

• The Prius is still more fuel and space efficient
    • I love the technology in the Prius
    • Slight change in lifestyle meant I need the space for my annual roadtrip home (lower fuel costs help too. Aside from time, it costs almost the same to drive home as it does to fly with the benefit of exploring the country)
    • Lower emissions
    • "Prius Priority" discount helped too
    • Change in scenery meant I need a vehicle that can handle the snow better without resorting to an SUV

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never driven one but on paper they are a despicable vehicle. They are:

1) tiny
    2) not safe
    3) not particularly good on gas
    4) slower than a school bus that's run out of gas

And all that for not even a low price. You can buy econoboxes for the same overall cost that are far more vehicle.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many of these negative opinions are do to simply not knowing anything about the transmission. The second line has me thinking a portion of them are.
    The Smart doesn't have an automatic. It's an automated manual, which precisely what it sounds like. The car engages the clutch and shifts a standard transmission for the driver. This leads to harder, jerkier shifts for a person use to an automatic, and driving it as such. I understand letting up on the accelerator at shift points smooths them out.

The Prius has plenty of quirks(braking system, coolant pumps, traction control, etc.) of its own for the driver coming from a standard car to get use to. Any of which could be grounds for not liking it. They don't have an actual impact on the car's performance and function. They just make the car different. Same with the Smart's transmission.

It is a niche vehicle. Hopefully, it's a niche more people will realize will work for them. Toyota and Chevy are both bringing a micro compact to market to compete with the fortwo, and Smart will be releasing an EV version next year.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I already saw a Smart EV about 11 months ago in New Hampshire I think it was, or MA, a dealership there. I don't know if it was for sale or what the deal was, though, but I got out and walked around it.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I heard it will be out around the same time as the Focus BEV with an 80 mile range. Also being a niche market, the EV arena should be a good fit for the Smart. It's size might make an EV an option for those who wouldn't consider an EV do to limited home charging locations.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That and it smoothes out after the break-in period and even smoother if you shift it yourself.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the Smart car (TM) would actually be smart, if it were an EV.

That size, with the quickness and cleanness of an electric motor, would be great for city driving.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But the Leaf gets the same range (100 miles) as the Smart ED and it's a bigger car...

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but it's a bigger car. I said city driving. You know... tight parking spaces, too many cars, not enough space...

19. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I appreciate the smart car because you can obviously park two of them in a spot meant for one standard automobile. That's cool if it's on your own property, but it doesn't work if it is on a parking space with legal or local restrictions. As a personal example, I could easily park my CRV and Prius in the long drive of my weekday rental place, but the restrictions don't allow it. I have to park one car off in another parking lot.

I like the smart car and could see myself buying one, but with its poor fuel mileage and restrictions I have to deal with, not in the near future.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'Smart Car' vs. truck crash pics I've seen have too many lug nuts to be real Smarts. They actually started out as larger vehicles, such as a Ford Escape or a foreign VW.

Big rigs and Smarts have vastly different preferred habitats, so I don't expect to see many cases of them tangling.