1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Prius Waiting List Support Group.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TravelBliss, Jun 12, 2008.

1. acidburn517

acidburn517 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered mine on May 7 (got the paperwork officially on May 8) so I've been officially waiting 96 days.

I got an alert from my credit report service that Toyota just did a credit check on me though and talked to the dealer a few days ago about my license plate preferences and all sorts of details about the car and financing so maybe my car will be here in a few days as the dealer estimated.

I started off with an order for a Touring #2 in SBM or Seaide Pearl or Barcelona red and ended up ultimately with a Seaside Pearl non touring package 5. (I changed my specs to get a car sooner)

2. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's all in the timing....I was lucky enough a year and half ago, to just go to the dealer and leave with a beautiful 2007 Silver Prius (base) the same day:)

Now, I have to sell it, :(and if anyone is willing to consider purchasing a used one, I just listed it in the "private sales" forum today. I am located in Dutchess County, one hour north of Manhattan.

3. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I'm behind you guys but I'm coming up on making the top ten. I've been on the list since May 24. I'm planning to have a sit down with my dealership this week to see if I can find out any details about there waiting list.

4. acidburn517

acidburn517 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I to the call today!!! Getting my car tomorrow. Wheeeeeeee!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

5. kittykat

kittykat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been on the list since May 1st. My car is at the port but is delayed. Until it's in my hands then I consider myself still on the list. :mad: Hopefully, sometime this week I will be off of the list! If not, then I'm probably flying down to Houston to pick up the dang thing myself!:D:D

6. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I signed on 7/7/8 for a package 6 in red. Just spoke to dealer and am still 2 months out but he did offer a package 3 touring but in white. Almost any other color and I would have jumped at it. So the wait continues.

7. cjm45

cjm45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have only been waiting since 06/07/08. I did get a call a couple of weeks ago the dealer called and ask if I wanted a Prius pkg 6 they had an unclaimed one. I turned it down because I wanted a touring. I sometimes wish I would have taken it. The dealer told me on 15% of the Prius made were Touring. My wait is still estimated at 3 more months. When I ordered it the first of June they told me 5 months.

8. Garrymon

Garrymon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am waiting for a package 3 in white, what is your dealers location?

9. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We're waiting on a Touring and from the posts we've read, here on PC, they're well worth it for the handling and stability. And look at the plus side. I'm sure it will be a 2009 which will make it a year younger if or when you sell/trade.

10. PriusPaul

PriusPaul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm new and so confused. I'm ready to get on a waiting list for a new Touring model. I've checked a couple of dealers here in North Jersey. One says six months, maybe best case. Another says 8-12 weeks, MSRP+. I check dealer new inventory on their websites and most have a couple (at least) Prius listed, VINs and all. I assume these are being delivered to waiting customers.

I read that some here have gotten on multiple waiting lists...but doesn't that require leaving a deposit for each:confused:? I guess I should just pick the dealer that seems most honest and get to waiting.

11. TravelBliss

TravelBliss It's worth the wait !!!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^^^^
    Oh, acidburn, it's about time, I'm really happy for you !!!
    96 days is a lonnnnng time, but I guess the "norm" nowadays.
    Be sure to post pics !!

And to everyone else waiting, hang in there. I know what it's like.
    And like everyone, your time will come !!

12. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately there is no magic answer. If you've scanned the various "wait list" posts, you're already aware of the situation. Do you pay the extortion rates of the less scrupulous dealers or get on the long list of a more honest dealer at MSRP, they're rare but they exist. It's a matter of choice and I don't blame anyone if they have the money, and need a car ASAP, in this market. I personally don't want to reward the less savory dealers, but then I dion't need a car right now so I can wait. On list 05/27/08, supposedly @ MSRP column Total, plus TTT, ETA Oct08.
    BTW, are you sure the on-line inventory list showed the full VIN#? The one's I've seen are only the last 6 digits, they don't actually exist. It's the old teaser, bait and switch, whatever to try and get you to take the hook. At least this is true in the current Prius market. I can't talk about other cars or times.

13. RobustMcManlyPants

RobustMcManlyPants New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, all went well this morning and I now have a Prius in the driveway! Woot!

14. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ( goodness, though ... it doesn't take very long to get WAY behind as far as keeping up with this thread is concerned .... )

thanks for the "congrats" acidburn517 ... and i'm right there with you as far as hoping for YOUR pending ownership and the crossing of fingers is concerned ....

what a TROUBLING - and lengthy ... snicker .... - tale that is, abqualt!!! still, you seem fairly optimistic that you will end up with your preferred package and model, and i'm rooting for you all the way. at the VERY least, you DO have one in your possession at this time ... and, if all else fails, here's hoping it will give you much pleasure; for however long you happen to have it.

btw ... i lived in Albuquerque for a bit more than four years; from late '87 to early '92 ....

thank you, SBrine1971! we're certainly enjoying it thus far ... with the exception of the great mileage - well ... duh!!! - i think we're enjoying the 6-disc CD changer and enhanced / JBL sound system the most. and, frankly, it seems to "drive" BETTER than i had anticipated ... so EASY to turn on city / suburban streets and QUITE the "pep" ... at least, more "pep" than i'd anticipated.

thanks, realale ... for the congrats and for the positive remark on the name. as for your car's name ... take your time; eventually, a name will probably come to you "of its own accord" ....

yes, you ARE quite fortunate ... in TWO regards! you only had to wait a bit more than a month for your Prius ... AND ... that's all-the-longer you had to quench the Sequoia' thirst! congratulations to you, jmmbass!!!

thank you so much for your congrats! still, i believe my wait was much shorter than yours is turning out to be. do "hang in there" kittykat! i'm confident yours WILL be coming soon! may improved luck - and patience ... snicker .... - be yours ....

15. dlaing

dlaing New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lucky people who have their cars! We have been on the list since May 20th, and every week or two the salesman says something to us along of the lines of "We are just getting(or just got ) 5 or 8 and so maybe yours is amongst them. " This gets our hopes up, particularly since we are trying to sell an SUV and the other vehicle has a blown transmission and is worth too little to fix. The week before we will have been told we are 12 or 1 or 8 or 3 on the wait list depending on the ever changing definition of the dealership's list. For loaded Prii. For 2008 Prii. For blue Prii. For people with blue eyes who signed up for a Prii. Who knows what evil lurks in the sadistic imagination of a Prius sales manager!? Depends on how many well heeled types have forked over 5000 over MSRP for the cars that just came in. After much phone tag, we typically get told things like "they all went". We explode "But you told us we were 1 on the list, how could we not get a car?" Depending on the week we are then told by the dealer : "They were 2008 and you wanted 2009." (BS) "They were all base model" (BS: in our area few people would order base model). "They all had leather and you wanted fabric" (BS: we said either). "You only wanted X color and they were Y and W." (BS: we said we were flexible). "You weren't 1 you were 12."" I thought you no longer wanted a car." ETC.

We have a signed contract with original deposit for a car at 250 below MSRP so we are sure price is the reason. The one constant is that every time they jerk us around, we are offered a used Prius at 2000 over MSRP or some retrofitted base that costs 2000 more than the loaded car we ordered. Bait and switch, anyone?

This has been the worst car buying experience of my entire life and I am not willing to start over on another Toyota dealer's list in case they turn out to be the same way. I love the Prius, but am revolted by the tactics. I am now actively looking at Mazda 5s, Honda Fits, Civics and even Focus and Subaru Impreza. Not with any great enthusiasm, but I need a hatchback with good mileage and reasonably priced, and I need it now. Unless I get my Prius in reasonable time (ie: under the dread three months, which is in a week), I will never buy a Toyota of any kind. A fair threat as we had planned to get a second Prius in a year, and a couple more for college kids in two more years. So, great car and scummy supply and sales.

But perhaps we are just unlucky or obnoxious or the salesmen are depressed they aren't selling much else beside Prii and Corollas.

16. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    dlaing...wow, it sounds like you're really having a rough time with things there. You have my sympathy and we are on your side. One thing I can suggest, is that you look here on Prius Chat in the private for sale forums. You can find new or used Prii there, and probably for a much better deal than the dealer will give you at this time. Good luck, and don't forget, that as a buyer, YOU are in control, no matter how much the dealer thinks you are not, because ultimately, YOU can decide to take your deposit back and take your business elsewhere...

Dave

17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sincerely hope Toyota is reading these posts and realizing what the dealer's, albiet not owned or operated by Toyota, are doing to their reputation and image. If they are not, then thay must all be sitting around checking themselves for herorids.

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Quite a story. You should name the dealers and give your location, others do and it could make a difference. From your post we can't tell if you are in Hawaii or Maine.

Even if you don't want to start over (San Diego dealer said he had stock) I would think another salesman at the same dealer would be a smart move, particularly if you have gotten hot with your guy.

19. dlaing

dlaing New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hesitated to name our dealer on the slim chance he might still deliver. I have, however told my entire workplace and several hundred acquaintances who are now warned never to go to that dealer. Although I am livid, these dealers have access to the cars we want. I would like to see the dealership system abolished. We could all order direct from the manufacturer, with only the options we pick imagine getting what you want for ypur hard earned cash!

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How about a City?